PSF: West Ham Utd 2-3 Juventus (07/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

frankiemac

Re: West Ham Utd v Juventus: match thread

Post by frankiemac »

The Bradford fans I know loved Burke last season...can definitely do a job!!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Re: West Ham v Juventus Match

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

BMLGirl wrote:Did I see an attempt at a Mexican wave in the West stand st the beginning of the match? God I hope not - just too embarrassing.
No...if what you're talking about is what I saw. People started standing and clapping, but due to the shape of the stadium as more people got up to do it, it had that effect of a Mexican wave almost as it went around the stadium. Unless you are talking about something different of course. English fans have always been known to not participate in a Mexican wave so I would be surprised.

Mandzukic was impressive...if he is available then it has to be looked into.
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

It was a "Stand up if you hate tottenham" chant making it's way around the ground, it did indeed look like Mexican wave..........
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2703 likes

Post by sendô »

Yep it was the "Stand up if you hate Tottenham" chant that made its way around the ground and appeared like a mexican wave.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

The floor stomp thing made a brief appearance too at one stage. Very interested to see if the atmosphere gets better against Bournemouth.

Glad we have got the left back. Would like to see Byrom right and Cress left when fit. Two good younger english full backs.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

my 'extra' tickets worked too :o
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

BarryGreen wrote:The floor stomp thing made a brief appearance too at one stage. Very interested to see if the atmosphere gets better against Bournemouth.

Glad we have got the left back. Would like to see Byrom right and Cress left when fit. Two good younger english full backs.
Atmosphere can't get much worse...
il_martello_di_genovesi

Considering it was a friendly and the heat/sun in the stadium was at times unbearable, I thought the atmosphere was fine. I'm sure it'll pick up even more when the league games start.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

trick88 wrote:Thought Burke looked quite comfortable at RB in the second half, would prefer him as the back up to Byram. Hopefully the new LB settles quickly enough so we don't have player out of position against Chelsea
That's not how I saw it at all - Juventus were continually in behind our right back's all game. Burke was arguably better than Antonio there, but I thought he had a pretty torrid time - he was continually caught in front of their wide attacker with the ball played in behind him,
frankiemac wrote:The Bradford fans I know loved Burke last season...can definitely do a job!!
True, but they loved him at CB not RB. To be honest, I think I'd prefer to see him there in front of Oxford. For all that Oxford is cultured and comfortable on the ball, he looks a bit naive in his defending - CB is one position where there's no real alternative to experience, and Reece B has had a solid season in L1 to develop his defending, whereas Oxford hasn't had anything other than development squad and first team cameos. It's going to be a bit of a balancing act with him, I think - with rich clubs sniffing around it's going to be hard to get him interested in going on load to Bradford or the like, like Burke did, but that's what he needs for his development
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2703 likes

Post by sendô »

I thought the atmosphere was very good, given it was a friendly. Not sure if that's the same up in the gods though?
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Considering it was a friendly and the heat/sun in the stadium was at times unbearable, I thought the atmosphere was fine. I'm sure it'll pick up even more when the league games start.
I'm in the Bobby lower, i was praying for cloud cover, it was so hot

I think it will be very different when the season kicks off

Out if interest, had a few of the Italian boys a few rows behind me...row 17 I think...was that you?
il_martello_di_genovesi

No mate, I was actually in the BML for this game though, (row 18 funnily enough)I was next to 2 Juve fans (one in a blue Zidane shirt)...they seemed to be dotted around all over the place.

The good thing is, enough people were joining in with chants yesterday for people to think a Meixcan wave was going on...if that kind of things happens in league games, the place could be rocking.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:No mate, I was actually in the BML for this game though, (row 18 funnily enough)I was next to 2 Juve fans (one in a blue Zidane shirt)...they seemed to be dotted around all over the place.

The good thing is, enough people were joining in with chants yesterday for people to think a Meixcan wave was going on...if that kind of things happens in league games, the place could be rocking.
Was it you in the baseball cap?? Or one of the boys with the flag?

I saw the guy in the juve shirt too...Christ, that wouldn't have happened at the Boleyn
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Felt very jealous after picking up a few rather merry hammers from Woolwich Arsenal Station yesterday evening.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Re: West Ham v Juventus Match

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:No...if what you're talking about is what I saw. People started standing and clapping, but due to the shape of the stadium as more people got up to do it, it had that effect of a Mexican wave almost as it went around the stadium. Unless you are talking about something different of course. English fans have always been known to not participate in a Mexican wave so I would be surprised.
The 'Stand Up If You hate Tottenham' chant did certainly feel Mexican wave-ish (a bloke behind me thought it was one) but if BML Girl saw what I did, two blokes did make a concerted effort to get a Mexican wave going.

Thank heavens it never took off, especially being on the TV and all.
artlin

Post by artlin »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Considering it was a friendly and the heat/sun in the stadium was at times unbearable, I thought the atmosphere was fine. I'm sure it'll pick up even more when the league games start.
We thought the same. Maybe a wet and cold December night with the lights on will make a better atmosphere.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

My Juventus tickets have just arrived in the post! :lol:
Bitter 'n' Twisted

Post by Bitter 'n' Twisted »

Claretdave wrote:My Juventus tickets have just arrived in the post! :lol:
Don't bother going mate. They win in the end.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

My Juventus tickets have just arrived in the post! :lol:[/quote]
Don't bother going mate. They win in the end.[/quote]

Spoiler alert!!!!