PSF: West Ham Utd 2-3 Juventus (07/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: West Ham v Juventus Match

Post by Up the Junction »

Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Juventus
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130176

Post-match press conference: Massimiliano Allegri vs West Ham United
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130175
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

leer34 wrote:Considering we were linked with mandzukic a fair bit would be interested to hear what people thought of him today.
Looked quality, made some great runs and was on top of Reid whilst he was on, in my opinion.

Carroll was great, but I suspect if we had someone making more intelligent runs like Mandzukic, we'd grab a lot more goals.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Just home

Obviously a friendly but some thoughts
- Juventus were different gravy with their passing in the first half - we weren't pressing as a unit and they moved it round us with ease
- Mandzukic and Dybala would rip any Prem defence apart on that performance
- not feeling the love between Antonio and Feghouli, couple of times Antonio had the opportunity to play the ball into space for Feghouli and he chose to run it (ultimately losing the ball high up)
- Nordtveit and Noble's passing seemed a little casual at times and didn't move it forward quickly enough to our attacking players....overall we couldn't string three passes together in the first half
- Carroll grew into the game but we had little channel work and almost seemed to 'twig' hat it might be an idea to swing crosses in mid-way through the game....once we did that he gave them a tough time
- Enner never, ever looks up.....
- Quina kept hold of the ball really well despite his little size
- we're missing Lanzini to link things together and actually keep the ball moving to a West Ham shirt up the pitch

Where was Obiang?

I worry about our balance with the full back position on both side looking a real issue to me. I would happily forget this mythical 20 goal striker for three adequate full backs added to the squad
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

The_Cheadley wrote:I thought Cullen was excellent. He got muscled off the ball once or twice but otherwise put in a very assured performance. He's a neat little footballer and I'd like to see more of him this season, albeit we have a lot of players vying for a place in that midfield 3.
He looked promising but he, Noble and Nordtveit were too similar for me today.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Juventus: match thread

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Anybody know which West Ham player it was on crutches coming out for the second half?
Wasteman

Post by Wasteman »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Anybody know which West Ham player it was on crutches coming out for the second half?
It was Aaron Creswell brudda.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Impressed with Nordtveit today, not amazing but very solid and looks like what we may have been lacking in that area last year. Of course it will cause a selection dilemma for SB but that's good news. Does it mean Obiang is surplus now though?

Atmosphere was mainly flat, but it would have been no better had that game have taken place at the BG this time of year. When the crowd sing together it does create a good noise, which I can imagine being very loud if we get a repeat of some of the games from last year. The stomping on the retractable seating BML side of the East Stand sounded like drums being hit!
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Very impressed with Cullen Burke and Carroll.

Juve had us chasing shadows for 45 minutes out of the 90, but our good spell, which was sort of the 45 minutes after 35 minutes, I thought was very encouraging

Do still think we are desperate for at least 3 1st team signings though
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

That's fine then!
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

I don't recall Cullen misplacing a pass all game... Completely outshone Noble and Nordtveit, and wasn't afraid to get stuck in. Great first touch, passing and composure from him thought he looked good in the pre season games he played last year.
Davey1704

Post by Davey1704 »

Had some people next to me and my mate, they turned up 20 minutes late, disappeared just before half time, returned around the 70th and left a few minutes before the final whistle. What's the point? One of them shouted out "go football" so I assume they're tourists. I hope to f***ing god that they're tourists. One off tourists who will never return to a seat near me ever again at any West Ham game I ever attend for the rest of eternity.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I enjoyed it,well worth the money to see class players
Thought we done well as well.
Pre match and post match drink in the Carpenters ,good day all round.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

I enjoyed today, despite the result. I think the same thing kind of happened last year, without sakho's running and mobility, lanzini and payet we do look a bit predictable and bang average.

Hats off to juventus, they looked like they could have passed us to death and scored far more had it been a competitive game. They let us back in then won it at their leisure. It was what it was, if it wasn't for the novelty of a new stadium I doubt 2/3s of the crowd would have been there
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Wasn't that long ago we were fielding Jobi McAnuff, Wayne Quinn, Andy Melville, Malky McKay and who was that bloke that we picked up at a service station on the way to a game up North ?

****ing Dildo Brothers eh, what have they ever done for us ?

Didn't look too shabby to me, loved that Thames Works kit.

Fuka and Ayew likely in before we stick the blue flag up their arse too :thup:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

leer34 wrote:Considering we were linked with mandzukic a fair bit would be interested to hear what people thought of him today.
Was absolute class, possibly man of the match. Great feet, outstanding movement and almost as good in the air as Carroll. Would be first choice striker for us no doubt and at the price mooted, a steal. :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Iron-worx wrote:who was that bloke that we picked up at a service station on the way to a game up North ?
Neil "Gerd" Mellor .
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

the pink palermo wrote: Neil "Gerd" Mellor .
So it was, my brain is still anaesthetised from those times, I don't remember the worst of it... :lol:
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

We definitely need this Masuaku bloke. Anybody with a left foot to play left back. Byram is alright but we desperately needed width.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Just back.. Dybala, what a wonderful player he is. Juventus played some superb football in the 1st half, we couldn't cope with them at all. They showed why they are one of the best teams in world football.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

All in all that was pretty encouraging, given how good Juve are.

Most encouraging was seeing the form of Carroll, having had a full pre-season.

But special mention to our youngsters, especially Josh Cullen who didn't look out of place at all. Oxford is so cool under pressure and only one real mistake for the goal, Byram is growing with confidence, Fletcher already looks the complete package and just needs game time, Burke filled in at RB well, and Quina for 16 is another level.

:crest: