PSF: West Ham Utd 2-3 Juventus (07/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Juventus: match thread

Post by Harry Hound »

Hammerdivone great post and exactly how I saw it. Juve were awesome especially first half and we did really well to stay with them. I know it wasn't a competitive games but it was still relatively competitive and entertaining and the youngsters did well.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

First game for me at our new home and I have to say that I was impressed. I had a good view behind the goal at the Trevor Brooking stand. The atmosphere will crank up when the premier league starts. Getting home was pretty painless and signposted well. It is similar to Wembley way but now the West Ham way dare I say?

On the game itself, pretty decent for a friendly. Byram impressed, no need for a right back as Slav has now groomed him as a premiership right back. I also liked the look of Harvard, a neat defensive midfielder. With the additions of Ayew, the new left back and hopefully Bacca, this team can do something special.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

MrHammer73 wrote:...but now the West Ham way dare I say?
We've been wondering what that is for years :lol:
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Josh Cullen, well done that man. May as well have been Noble's body double out there today, not out of place in the slightest and very quick feet for someone of his size and position.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Thought we did really well after going 2-0 down and Carroll will be a great asset to us this season if we can keep him fully fit.

Zaza took his goal really well and was impressed with Dybala, Mandzukic, Dani Alves etc. Was it me though or did Higuain look slightly overweight?
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

steps wrote:Thought we did really well after going 2-0 down and Carroll will be a great asset to us this season if we can keep him fully fit.

Zaza took his goal really well and was impressed with Dybala, Mandzukic, Dani Alves etc. Was it me though or did Higuain look slightly overweight?
Just a tad

hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

tbf anyone would look obese next to Quina :lol:

He's a solid old lump though
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Higuain has looked like that for years.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

First game for me.

Th whole thing felt a bit weird. It didn't really feel like a West Ham home game, more like we're playing at someone else's ground, or else that it was a cup final or something. Is that massive stadium really ours?

Some minor gripes. Bugger me what a trek to get there from Stratford, right round the houses they took us. I wont be going that way again. It didn't help that I was in the Betway stand so had to walk right around. Luckily on the way back we worked out the route to Stratford High St DLR which was half the distance and had 2 pubs on route. A useful scouting trip. A cheeseburger and a bottle of water outside of the ground £9.80. Bloody hell.

Anyway other than that it was good. The ground is impressive in itself. It is huge. It felt the same size as the Stade de France walking around it, even if it has less seats. Inside it looked great too. Seeing 54000 people in claret and blue was fantastic, and when bubbles went up at the start the hairs on the back of my neck stood up - and that was at a friendly against a foreign side. Imagine a cup game at night against London opponents?

I didn't notice any issues with views etc. It seemed to me all of the lower tiers were nice and close and the viewing angles were great. The only place that looked like the view wasn't great was the betway upper, but then at a 60,000 capacity ground you're going to get seats a long way from the pitch. There's a similar standard of view at places like Wembley or the Nou Camp - do people say Barcelona's ground is **** because the furtherest seats dont have a great view?

So in summary, impressive ground, a bit pricey and a long walk, doesn't really feel like our gaff yet but I'm sure it will in time.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

fjthegrey wrote:Higuain has looked like that for years.
He's always been well built (like Tevez or Payet) but he looked fat yesterday. I'd be pissed off if I was Allegri and my new star signing came back from holiday looking like that.

This picture shows it better
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpQrCnzWIAAwfcg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

I was about 10 rows back in the East stand yesterday, thought the view was superb.. in fact i probably would have preferred about 5 rows back to get a bit more height, but everywhere i travelled around in the stand seemed to have a good view.

The only thing that irked me was there were no screens by the main bars etc... I always liked having a last beer watching the results come in. There was me thinking there were none at all until i saw you had one opposite each pop up bar as you go out to your seats. So fair enough.

Had a good day overall, certainly weren't the worst game i have seen, saw some good players on show. Was a bit chaotic getting out, but im sure that will die down a bit in the coming weeks. We managed to scoot round the side of westfield in the end and get into the side doors and upstairs for some food, after which not a problem leaving.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Re: West Ham v Juventus Match

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

BMLGirl wrote:Did I see an attempt at a Mexican wave in the West stand st the beginning of the match? God I hope not - just too embarrassing.
Yep - a couple of blokes tried to start a Mexican wave.
I sat there, arse clenched hoping no-one would rise to the bait and thankfully, no-one did.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Enjoyable match I thought, we were unlucky to lose to a good side

I'm late on this thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there were some
interesting absences yesterday: Creswell, Lanzini injured we know
Tore's injury seems to be more serious than we thought and he's missed half of the pre season

But where were Randolph, Obiang and Kouyate?

And what's up with Toni Martinez?
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

My lad and I had a great day yesterday.
Juventus really were a joy to watch. Their passing at times was different class and the dummy on Reid just before the second goal was quality.

Really like Nordtveit and I though Josh Cullen had a really good game (just read he's off to Bradford on loan now).

Really do like the stadium, though I felt the concourses were too tight.

One other thing about the concourses.
I noticed there's a small open gap above so when it rains, people are sure to get wet underneath.
Have I missed something with this?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Lemina looked great.

He was supposedly on the transfer market up until a few days ago.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Oh yea the game.

Felt very disjointed. A typical friendly, too many subs spoiled the flow of the game. Juve looked very good at times, we looked lacklustre early on. Worrying signs at times about lack of shape and quick passing catching us out as with last season. Antonio looked poor at RB again. Oxford caught napping/out of position for the winner. Enner getting more frustrating. On a positive note AC looked good.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: West Ham v Juventus Match

Post by hadleighhammer »

BMLGirl wrote:Did I see an attempt at a Mexican wave in the West stand st the beginning of the match? God I hope not - just too embarrassing.
:lol:

Gentrification begins in.....
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Great to visit the place yesterday, well chuffed with my seat

Different crowd, but that's what you get at a friendly

Reid and Oxford for two of their goals were shambolic yesterday, we looked like kids against men at times and struggled to pass it, but it was a friendly, and am confident these things will be different come the first game and we will be well drilled

Atmosphere was very flat...see quiet at times but hope that will also be different when the first proper game kicks off
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Thought Burke looked quite comfortable at RB in the second half, would prefer him as the back up to Byram. Hopefully the new LB settles quickly enough so we don't have player out of position against Chelsea