West Ham Utd 1-4 Swansea City (07/05/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Swansea: match thread

Post by chigwells finest »

the myriad of 2-2 draws have been our undoing , not satudays result
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Top four's our everything. For sure.
Deep Purple Iron

Post by Deep Purple Iron »

That performance was SO West Ham. It's almost as if they do it on purpose. Very frustrating, hope we can rediscover some fighting spirit come Tuesday night. That was one of the worst things about Saturday, there were sadly only a few players who actually seemed to give a flying f**k. I don't mind us losing if we actually give it 100% but to play like that was unacceptable. So sad for the people who paid their last visit to the Boleyn.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Discobar wrote:We are 7th and if we finish 8th this season will not have been a success. Not if we miss out on Europe now. 8th is where the board would have expected us to finish as a minimum after the summer investment.

There are no excuses for throwing away a chance for Europa like we did yesterday. Manager and players were badly at fault. "Who really cares where we finish?" What kind of defeatist comment is that? Rodear got us 7th in his first year. Bilic ****ed up badly yesterday and if we miss out on Europa yesterday's game will stay long In the mind
-
Dear oh dear...........
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

miles wrote:Top four's our everything.
The four tops - Its the same old song.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

A season of football is just that, a whole season. If we finish 8th, it's only partly because we failed, for whatever reason, to get enough points over the whole term to finish higher. It can't be put down to one match, we're not Sheffieldufurkinnited are we?

It's been fabulous, yes, perhaps an opportunity possibly missed, but if we think back just 12 short months, I seem to recall the main concern was remaining in the top flight at all costs this season in view of the move.
Each season should be compared for its success with the previous one.

Onwards and upwards.
:crest:
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

This just wasn't in the script was it ? Huge, huge disappointment. Although it has been a good season it will undoubtedly feel like an anti climax if we don't qualify for Europe. Six points will do it, four might. But I am just not confident that we will achieve even the 4. And we really don't want the last ever game at Upton Park to be a defeat to the Manc Skanks.

:x
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

To much show boating in the first 15 mins when we dominated. We over played, were not clinical with the final ball and got schooled by Swansea in what to do when you get wide in attacking areas.
Second half we Fannied about with the ball across the back and in midfield when we should have moved it forward quicker.
Great day, great season, awful performance from our lads on the day.
Last edited by Estuary on Mon May 09, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We've had a full season without a proper all round striker, No amount of endeavour can overcome that fact.

Slaven has had to live with that and use his players in a primarily attacking mode to compensate, to the detriment of the defense.

You "have to give a bit to get a bit"

Great when it works in our favour. awful when it doesn't.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Chigwells Finest not just the 2-2s but 14 draws in total! That run at home starting with Everton and Payet's injury, WBA and Stoke. And Villa away. And remember we could easily have lost to mighty Norwich twice! As far as I'm concerned the results v the so-called big boys balanced it out and I'll remember this season for the wins at Citeh, Arsenal, Scouseland and Everton. Now let's end on 65 points. :scarfer:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Still getting over this to be honest :lol:

It was a truly terrible performance. No quality up top, embarrassing at the back and the work rate in midfield was quite frankly appalling. Added to that Antonio was getting ripped to shreds at right back and Moses was having a disaster, surely at half time Bilic should have pushed Antonio forward and taken Moses off for Tomkins???

We were second to every ball, lost every battle in midfield and just didn't get any of the basics right at the back, no one was picked up and left in acres of space. The first two goals were embarrassing, our defence were not even dragged out of position, they were ball watching like 6 year old kids on a Sunday morning... Swansea put in a good professional performance, defended well and closed down from the halfway line, giving us problems playing forward. they punished us big time for our sloppiness and well and truly deserved their victory.

Every team has an off day but the performance was concerning. I thought Kouyate, Payet, Lanzini and Moses were far too lazy off the ball which you simply cannot afford to do at this level against any team. Play like this tomorrow and we will get battered.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

How disappointing was that.

Without wishing to sound too harsh we were complacent, unprofessional with a touch of the Johnny big b*llocks about us. Took them too lightly and it proved costly. If we don’t get European football then it’s our own fault.

I love Slav, blokes a been a breath of fresh … alas he’s human and I was slightly perturbed by the lack of change/action when it was clear things weren’t going well. Something should have happened at half time, at the very least we should have had a plan b in mind for the start of the 2nd half. I was left in amazement that despite their 3rd we still took time in shuffling the pack, the subsequent change was a no brainer and we wasted time, like rabbits caught in headlights. Along with the Valencia sub vs Palace and the failure to bring on a hold midfielder against Chelsea, can’t help feel these are basic errors which were fairly obvious. On the flip side he’s influenced so many games this terms with his sub and tactics, it’s frustrating though as I feel we really let ourselves down. Lose by the odd goal yes … but 4-1 at home?

I actually felt Antonio was our MOTM, poor blokes playing two positions though. Our best RB performances this season have been from Tomkins, I’m a little surprised at Dicksy comments because he’s very good technically for a defender. It’s starting to grate on me now and is reminiscent of the deluded ones ‘square pegs round holes’ policy. Antonio has improved massively since he’s come into the side and is a real threat going forward – massive respect for filling in and helping out but the continued deployment at FB aint the answer.

Saturday wrangled with me as the effort and attitude weren’t right. Such a shame as they were there for the taking. That’s the most disappointing league performance of the season.

A very west ham result in keeping with tradition.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

The Sherriff wrote:How disappointing was that.

Saturday wrangled with me as the effort and attitude weren’t right. Such a shame as they were there for the taking. That’s the most disappointing league performance of the season.

A very west ham result in keeping with tradition.
The Cup 1/4 final and the game on Saturday left me feeling lower than after any games I can remember other than Forest in the Cup Semi final.

We were so poor against Swansea that I keep looking back on it thinking we should have respected a point.
browney83
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by browney83 »

Went with my dad on Saturday...he cant go on Tuesday night so it was his last game, with his first being in 1952. When the 3rd goal went in he turned to me with a smile and said "This sums up the last 64 years perfectly for me, they couldn't have given me a more West Ham send off if they tried!" He was very emotional walking out but agreed it was the right thing to do long term. COYI
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

For the second home game recently I felt genuinely deflated when I heard the starting line up and it never left me till I left after a poor performance and result.

I'm astounded that a club in our position are resorting to filling a position in the team by playing somebody continually out of position. How can we not have a genuine alternative available?

This time last year we were giving Reece Burke a run out and he didn't let us down.

Taking Antonio out of the attack is limiting the pace and power we had with him going forward, he did the defensive work because he is that kind of guy. Payet and Lanzini are luxury players and somebody has to put in part of their shift defensively. Swansea seemed to know they were going to have a lot of time and space to work in and did it very well once they went in front.

The only good thing about Saturday is that we have two games to put it right if we want to finish where we should be. 6th looking upwards. If we don't we have most certainly blown a great opportunity.

You can go on about how good the season has been, but it won't feel the same dropping a few places in the last week of the season, when it would have been in our own hands to finish better.

I just so hope that it doesn't pan out that way. I built myself up that we would be looking upwards not over our shoulder, especially after the cup defeat.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Hockley Hammer wrote:

This time last year we were giving Reece Burke a run out and he didn't let us down.

t.
Allardyce in.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

I'd like to thank the Swansea fans that stood up and applauded our U21's as they toured the ground with the cup.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Mega Ron wrote:
The Cup 1/4 final and the game on Saturday left me feeling lower than after any games I can remember other than Forest in the Cup Semi final.
I would totally agree with that. Finally somebody who feels the same as me!
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Estuary wrote:To much show boating in the first 15 mins when we dominated. We over played, were not clinical with the final ball and got schooled by Swansea in what to do when you get wide in attacking areas.
Second half we Fannied about with the ball across the back and in midfield when we should have moved it forward quicker.
Great day, great season, awful performance from our lads on the day.
Showboating like the Harlem Globetrotters against Palace until they attacked us and we scraped a draw
We must learn to put teams away and then showboat by holding the ball and managing the game