West Ham Utd 1-4 Swansea City (07/05/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Swansea: match thread

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The people mentioning the lack of pressing by payet and lanzini... I'm pretty sure they used to put more of a shift in during the first half of the season. With Payet coming from Bielsas Marseille, you would have thought he'd have been in intensively drilled in that area of his game already. I also seem to remember lanzini being extremely busy in midfield when he first got into the team. Like the opening arsenal game where he offered plenty of support to tomkins. The effort we're putting in as a team is slacking off. Especially when you compare it to the months where payet and lanzini were injured and we managed to keep grinding out those draws through gritty and organised defensive displays.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Maybe the early start to the season has finally caught up with us?
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

yesterday pretty much sums up my affiliation to West Ham. - on the verge of doing something special, then **** it all up cos getting shitfaced with my mates on a school night seemed like a good idea.
Last edited by -DL- on Sun May 08, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: avoiding swear filter
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

thejackhammer wrote:Maybe the early start to the season has finally caught up with us?
Nobody will buy that excuse, we just got mugged off by Swansea
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by 1966 »

Ref had a shocker. 4 shockers to our 1. Blame him.
I am Lawro
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by I am Lawro »

thejackhammer wrote:Maybe the early start to the season has finally caught up with us?
That argument would be more valid if we hadn't played our youth team and dropped out deperessingly early.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I've said this afore, but Randolph just ain't tall enough to be a top class 'keeper.

And I reckon Adrian would have got to a couple of those shots yesterday. So shoot me now.
ashbanki wrote:All their goals came from our"RB" being beaten or out of position - I'm no fan of Tomkins playing there...
In case you (or anyone) was wondering where the resistance to play Tomkins in a ball-playing role comes from, may I offer a suggestion:
People ask me about James Tomkins and Winston Reid and I still haven't changed my opinion on them; if the ball's in the air they'll go and win it, but you want players to get the ball down and play football - and they can't do it.
Read more at http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3184
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I think its notable that the defence looked lost yesterday with Randolph behind them. Equally, he can be annoyed at them for leaving him so open. But Adrian does have presence, he is definitely no shrinking violet, and hes also more eager to get off his line. Frankly, hes just better.

And Tomkins one-on-one for pace with Ayew or the like still doesnt fill me with confidence, and he'd have been one-on-one all game with Moses ahead of him.
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by danm79 »

Having read a few pages its lucky some here aren't Ajax supporters.

Possibly been mentioned but how much was not wanted to get injured/suspended in some minds for Tuesday - had we been 1-0 up in virtually any game this season Noble makes a challenge when they scored their 4th instead of backing off.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Up the Junction wrote: Read more at http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3184
All the evidence you need (in respect of Tomkins) as to why Dicksy would never get a job in football at a decent level if it wasn't for our PR move.

As much as I love the bloke as a legend for us.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Not being muggy but just think Antonio is a great find and it is not on having him playing as a defender week in week out...
And I want Ginge back....
:crest:
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

For me it was pretty obvious that our weakness yesterday was on the right...

From the kick off they almost had us and again a few minutes after that...

Apart from how tired everyone seemed to be getting around the pitch... What ending up happening was the game for us was being played over to the left of midfield and most if not all of us were over that side while a couple of Swansea players were staying on their left in so much space once the ball was over to them we were no where

What I couldn't understand was why despite the warnings before the first goal Slav didn't do something about it... I was watching him and he wasn't his usual animated self on the touch line ... Then after first goal it kept happening again without anything be at least shouted about ... Then same after the second even after HT there was no change to closing that space let alone a change in the players Sakho with his work rate should have come on at HT as there was no one working or rather driving into the Swansea box until he did come on..

For me defensively Antonio allowed a lot of the problems that caused the goals Specifically.. Though Generally everyone else's performance in terms of their touch their movement or lack of that didn't help...

But for me I felt the one difference to most other games at home was Slav ... I think he had as bad a day as the players on the pitch...

But hey ho... I'm still well chuffed with our season, our results and the way we have played in the main and entertainment alone ... If I had said we would be where we are now when Slav was appointed I'd have been laughed at given the comments that came in the manager thread after the other names all fell through...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

ashbanki wrote:All their goals came from our"RB" being beaten or out of position - I'm no fan of Tomkins playing there, but to play our most consistant offensive player,imo, there is complete stupidity.Antonio is our strongest, quickest and determined attacking threat and so, should be played to his strengths - beating players, scoring and making goals.He should be starting instead of Moses,Valencia,Emenike and ,possibly, Lanzini on occasion.
All day long and been echoing much the same on other threads. It'll never stop it from being a decent season, but it could well be an opportunity missed should the remaining results go against us and this tactic has cost us dearly recently, when in actual fact he had it right when most were available and fit to play in their rightful positions or the next best thing I.e. Tomkins playing RB as he actually knows how to play there a lot more than Antonio will ever understand. We've made the oppositions managers/players jobs easier by persisting with this that clearly rarely worked.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

I have moved on.

Looking forward to Tuesday (and then, maybe, Stoke).
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Burnley Hammer wrote:The people mentioning the lack of pressing by payet and lanzini... I'm pretty sure they used to put more of a shift in during the first half of the season. With Payet coming from Bielsas Marseille, you would have thought he'd have been in intensively drilled in that area of his game already. I also seem to remember lanzini being extremely busy in midfield when he first got into the team. Like the opening arsenal game where he offered plenty of support to tomkins. The effort we're putting in as a team is slacking off. Especially when you compare it to the months where payet and lanzini were injured and we managed to keep grinding out those draws through gritty and organised defensive displays.
Bielsa's Marsielle were challenging PSG for the title last season up until about 5 games to go where they tailed off, then lost out on Champions League.

Was one of the reasons Payet left.
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

-DL- wrote: We blew it, and if I'm gutted with with that, and people like you that say I should go and support Spurs can **** off and do one.
There's gonna be a lot more muggy fans like this when we get to the OS...can't accept a defeat and crying cos we aren't champs league, with pretty much with the same squad as last season.
Bilic has us top 6 and challenging in a season. Changing playing style, personnel, and some say we blew it!, give it a rest.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

-DL- wrote: We blew it, and if I'm gutted with with that, and people like you that say I should go and support Spurs can **** off and do one.
hamagram wrote: There's gonna be a lot more muggy fans like this when we get to the OS...can't accept a defeat and crying cos we aren't champs league, with pretty much with the same squad as last season.
Bilic has us top 6 and challenging in a season. Changing playing style, personnel, and some say we blew it!, give it a rest.
The point is that we can be disappointed not to have done it without having to be cry babies who demand it. I am disappointed we went out of the Cup, doesnt mean I expect us to win the cup every year.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

The writing was on the wall for this match as soon as we posters were talking about getting an early 2/3 goal lead and placing bets on us to win 5-0.

You have to wonder if the players went out on the pitch with the same mentality
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

Disappointed is another matter...gutted suggests expectations are well beyond reality...Spuds like.
The season we've had raises spirits, looking forward there's hope. Bilic and his team have done a remarkable job, as well as the players. Some on here are calling out the players and manager that have got us into a top six place, cos Swansea were better..it happens in football. Enjoy the rest of what's been a terrific season, who really cares now where we finish?..its been great regardless. If we get euro footie, let's celebrate cos every player and the manager got us there.
Discobar

Post by Discobar »

hamagram wrote:Disappointed is another matter...gutted suggests expectations are well beyond reality...Spuds like.
The season we've had raises spirits, looking forward there's hope. Bilic and his team have done a remarkable job, as well as the players. Some on here are calling out the players and manager that have got us into a top six place, cos Swansea were better..it happens in football. Enjoy the rest of what's been a terrific season, who really cares now where we finish?..its been great regardless. If we get euro footie, let's celebrate cos every player and the manager got us there.

We are 7th and if we finish 8th this season will not have been a success. Not if we miss out on Europe now. 8th is where the board would have expected us to finish as a minimum after the summer investment.

There are no excuses for throwing away a chance for Europa like we did yesterday. Manager and players were badly at fault. "Who really cares where we finish?" What kind of defeatist comment is that? Rodear got us 7th in his first year. Bilic ****ed up badly yesterday and if we miss out on Europa yesterday's game will stay long In the mind