Stoke City 2-1 West Ham Utd (15/05/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Re: Stoke City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sendô »

I still cannot work out how we lost that game.
Hampshire'ammer

Post by Hampshire'ammer »

Good day out, spoiled a bit by the result.

The bus situation I the car park was a bit unseemly, but thought the police done well in most respects, following on form the Man Utd game where I was shoved about by the old bill while just trying to go home with my son, maybe the Met could learn a bit from the plod up there.

Oh for someone to put the ball in the back of the net!
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Did you try their famous 'oatcakes'?

Selling them for £1.30 outside the ground, near the canal. Shame the queue was so big as I would have stopped for one.
Alas not, it was a meat and potato pie from the Power League place just near the ground.

It was pretty special though.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think yesterdays match kind of summed us up this season. Great football, great effort and really should have won the game but let them back in it. We took the lead and failed to capitalise as once again we missed numerous chances that we should be taking if we want to be a top side. We have been pretty good in defence but we have had a our bad moments as well all season, yesterday was no different as the goals were cheap.

It has been a great season, 7th is mighty impressive but we have a lot to do if we want to push on, a lot of areas to improve in. The table doesn't lie though and Southampton were slightly better than us all season round. Games like Bournemouth, Norwich, West Brom, Swansea at home we dropped too many points in games we should have been winning. A few more sound signings and we have a very good squad, hopefully Man Utd can win the cup and give us a Europa league place
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

7th is a superb position to end up at, of course disappointed not the best way to end the season, still worry about our strikers.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

I thought Valencia was in dreamland when Stoke scored from that corner. Not a player that I wish to see next season unless he can offer more aggression and end product to his game.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Needed another goal first half and job done. Even at 1-1 we still could and should have won it. Lots of good performances today but no composure in front of goals killed us.

Still think the f*** up against swansea was the real killer to our push for europe. a simple two nil there. And we ****ed it up!

Great season tho.

cheers
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

claretcloggy wrote:****ing livid still..who was it that said we would cope without payet!? oh yeah DL!!! well that was apparent yesterday wasn't it?! emenike..valencia..moses..thank you for your contribution this season but we really need better than you three.
we more than coped without Payet

what we didn't cope with was losing Carrol and Sakho

Nice pop at DL though :thdn:
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

My missus always says that size doesn't matter, but I cannot help feeling than an extra inch makes a hell of a difference. That ball would have crossed the line for a start, and we would have had the result we were all praying for.

That said, who can possibly be disappointed with the season as a whole? It has been a magical roller coaster ride and had we not had so many drawn game while our most talented players were out things could have been so different...and then there was the standard of refereeing...But enough of that, and enough of hindsight. Onwards and upwards :crest:

Oh yes...! And come on you Reds!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I wonder how many Leicester City supporters who, if offered tenth place at the start of the season, would have "ripped your arm off"?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Phil S wrote:we more than coped without Payet

what we didn't cope with was losing Carrol and Sakho
carroll was not targeted as he should have all game and sakho was shocking.
payet is our top scorer.
Col Hammer
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Col Hammer »

It looked like Carroll came off with any injury, has there been any news on what it was??
BiggerSam

Post by BiggerSam »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Did you try their famous 'oatcakes'?

Selling them for £1.30 outside the ground, near the canal. Shame the queue was so big as I would have stopped for one.
You got lucky, they're bloody vile!

Comfortably the better team yesterday, but after Whelan scraped what looked a certain goal off the line, you had the feeling it was going to be one of those days.

I'm having to suffer the Andy Wilkinson testimonial tonight as well. It's like the pain never ends.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

claretcloggy wrote:****ing livid still..who was it that said we would cope without payet!? oh yeah DL!!! well that was apparent yesterday wasn't it?! emenike..valencia..moses..thank you for your contribution this season but we really need better than you three.
We did cope without him. Even if it was him that played the balls for the sitters and chances we missed, we would have still ****ing missed them...

We also certainly coped better than we did when we conceded four against Swansea and also only scored one goal, which oddly enough, Payet played in.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

-DL- wrote:claretcloggy"]****ing livid still..who was it that said we would cope without payet!? oh yeah DL!!! well that was apparent yesterday wasn't it?! emenike..valencia..moses..thank you for your contribution this season but we really need better than you three.

We did cope without him. Even if it was him that played the balls for the sitters and chances we missed, we would have still ****ing missed them...
I agree, the reason we lost this and many similar games this season is because we didn't get a decent striker in the winter transfer window. If we'd got Gignac or someone similar rather than Eminieke I'm sure we'd have won.
E13whu

Post by E13whu »

The result i feared but not in the manor i thought it would come.
Did we miss Payet..Yes we did but any team would miss a player as influential as him(he would have had a field day yesterday).
Should we have won...yes but we didnt.
The influence from the bench was the most concerning part for me... very little changed and Stoke`s confidence grew. Quality game changers required.

I am proud of the boys this season and what a platform for building and improving next season. COYI
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

-DL- wrote:We did cope without him. Even if it was him that played the balls for the sitters and chances we missed, we would have still ****ing missed them...
i think we did cope well enough without him too.
but he's still our top scorer, and goals is what we missed yesterday...
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

For as long as we need to score three goals to win a football match we're going to have a problem. We would of course have been better with Payet in the team but we scored enough goals yesterday to win the match. We just once again went missing defensively.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

James P wrote:For as long as we need to score three goals to win a football match we're going to have a problem. We would of course have been better with Payet in the team but we scored enough goals yesterday to win the match. We just once again went missing defensively.

I think if we grabbed a second it would've been game over, doubt they'd have scored at all. But once they did their tails went up and they actually tried as they saw a chance to win. Lacazette up front and we win that game imo. But something is needed at both ends of the pitch, Adrian in goal would have helped too.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

had sakho made it 2-0 when he shoud've of , the ground would of emptied and its game over , even the stoke fans , who were maiunly asleep all game couldnt believe he missed .