PSF: Seattle Sounders 3-0 West Ham Utd (06/07/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Seattle Sounders v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Harry Hound »

richneal wrote:
Finally, and worst of all, it was sad to see some prick in a West Ham shirt lob his beer on a bunch of 6 and 8 year-old Seattle fans and their Mums and Dads when their first goal went in. Sometimes words fail me.
That is beyond stupid and really pisses me off, can't count the times I've been covered in beer by some prick and doing this to mums with their kids, WTF? :?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Did we win? :)
PalmettoHammer

Post by PalmettoHammer »

I'm headed to the match in Raleigh next week. Couldn't care less about the result. Nor should anyone else.

The Mrs. will be coming along and I will be happy to wear my AVCO away shirt, have a few pints, and possibly make a few new friends along the way.

Hopefully it wont be 100F...
Hot Bot

Post by Hot Bot »

I just wanted to comment on the jet lag point:

As someone who has, in the previous year, competed in Boston two days after flying from London, and Moscow one day after, flying that far really takes it out of you. Your legs feel heavier than usual and if you have any leftover soreness from training the previous few days it doesn't really go away.

Even if you aren't 'tired' from jet lag (you aren't sleepy) you're not physically able to hit the levels you want to. It's why teams always want a short trip in Europe.

Also on the marketing thing, I'm sure the club wanted to win to (slightly) boost support. However, even if Bilic followed those instructions, the players don't give a toss about the 'brand', so will have not been mentally 'there' in that way.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

IMHO the usa trip should have been toward the end of our pre-season to enable us to perform well and promote the brand.
I'm sure this is what other teams do.
Typical West Ham to do things arse backwards. :lol:
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Rocketron wrote:IMHO the usa trip should have been toward the end of our pre-season to enable us to perform well and promote the brand.
Typical West Ham to do things arse backwards. :lol:
Well we have important European games at the end of this month/start of next, so you can understand why they chose to go now.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

What a blinding, blinding thread :lol:
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Rocketron wrote:IMHO the usa trip should have been toward the end of our pre-season to enable us to perform well and promote the brand.
Typical West Ham to do things arse backwards.
EastleighHammer16 wrote: Well we have important European games at the end of this month/start of next, so you can understand why they chose to go now.
I knew there was a reason I didn't post this earlier.
What a c-unit I am. :lol:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Hot Bot wrote:I just wanted to comment on the jet lag point:

As someone who has, in the previous year, competed in Boston two days after flying from London, and Moscow one day after, flying that far really takes it out of you. Your legs feel heavier than usual and if you have any leftover soreness from training the previous few days it doesn't really go away.

Even if you aren't 'tired' from jet lag (you aren't sleepy) you're not physically able to hit the levels you want to. It's why teams always want a short trip in Europe.

Also on the marketing thing, I'm sure the club wanted to win to (slightly) boost support. However, even if Bilic followed those instructions, the players don't give a toss about the 'brand', so will have not been mentally 'there' in that way.
I completely agree with you. 100%.

I just feel you would have had more impact with your post had you fallen asleep halfway through it and continued it someway down the thread once the jet lag had worn off
BigSamsBarmyArmy
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BigSamsBarmyArmy »

As someone who makes the same trip to PST in California every month. It's ****ing terrible.

Yes you land three hours after you took off. But you spend almost 24 hours traveling and waiting around, and there are almost no red eye flights from London, so you can't sleep.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Been to the West Coast twice in 6 months and it does me in. Even when I went to Chicago back in May I was up at 2am, 4am and 6am. Just as you start to get used to it, its time to come home.

I'm actually better coming back for some reason.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

I think it was a bizarre choice of trip. You build a brand by being succesful - getting into the champions league for e.g., not traveling to seatle where noone cares about football. Sorry, soccer. And losing because they are mid season and we just started our preseason. And we aer jetlagged. And a chunk of our squad isnt even there.

The Austria trip makes sense. Short haul, all about the training...
mboogers
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by mboogers »

My 22 year-old step daughter (who is American) lives in Seattle so I bought her and a friend two tickets in the WHU section (she has been to the BG once before so has some idea what we're about).

Her and her friend had an amazing time and ended up going out in Seattle with some English-based hammers afterwards and she has been buzzing about it for days and telling me about all the songs she learned etc so whoever that was, thank you for making them feel welcome and showing them a good time. :crest: