PSF: Seattle Sounders 3-0 West Ham Utd (06/07/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

damiant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: Seattle Sounders v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by damiant »

am pretty sure its just a fitness thing.

Sounders have played 16 games this season. This is literally our pre-season training.
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

Bury Me:

I'm sorry your holiday wasn't relaxing; I've read a lot of your posts on the transfer thread and it sounds like you could use a lie-down.

As a supporter in Canada, I empathize with your frustration. Short of travelling to the UK, we're not going to be able to see our team live very often—if ever. The prospect of seeing West Ham United playing a match on home soil is, understandably, exciting. We obviously want them to smash MLS's current whipping boys. But this was a training match. It was a glorified scrimmage. You couldn't have expected Slav to tell them, "All out, boys; we've got a brand to build!"

I totally get the excitement of going to see your club (something I've been blessed to do twice), the club you adopted, not because you were born there, but because there's something special about a club with a proper footballing ethos and an ability to hand Bournemouth their first ever PL win one week and then go to Anfield and dismantle Liverpool the next. Even if there's no logical reason to support a club that "never wins anything" (in a North American culture dominated by winning at all costs, I've heard this too many times to count), West Ham gets into your blood. Enjoy the ride! I was disappointed too when West Ham lost to the MLS All-Stars in Toronto a few years back. But it's all about expectations. My advice? Be thankful you saw them in the flesh, kicking a football, even if they didn't do it terribly well after less than a week of training—that's more than a lot of overseas supporters can say.

And relax.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Reading the last few pages over a cup of tea has been beautiful
Vince
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Mayday wrote:
Who gives a toss what it does for our image in the States? I very much doubt WHU do. I would have thought a successful season would do more for our image.

Sorry mate, have to side with American 'Ammer on this topic.
I am sure WHU senior management do care very much. Huge potential here to grow our 'brand' and the PNW have the best supported clubs in the country.
I do not think it is by chance that we are playing games in Seattle and then in North Carolina 3,000 miles away which is another hot spot for football over here.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

WorcesterWHU wrote:Mate, at least you weren't one of us poor souls that went to Stockport in the late 90s :lol:
Has it stopped raining there yet?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Bloody hell Bury Me @ you can at least enjoy Seattle can't you?

I've never gone to West Ham thinking that we'll win and then I'd be happy. If anything a win is just a bonus with every match of ours.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

I'd rather get battered 3-0 in Seattle than lose 1-0 some of the sh*tholes i've been to in the last 20 years!

Cost me thousands.... we've won very few.... but loved them all!

:crest:
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

This thread has made my day. Can't tell whats sarcasm and whats not, such is the state of our fanbase.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

MDJ wrote:Bury Me:

I'm sorry your holiday wasn't relaxing; I've read a lot of your posts on the transfer thread and it sounds like you could use a lie-down.
Sleepless in Seattle?
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Vince wrote: Sorry mate, have to side with American 'Ammer on this topic.
I am sure WHU senior management do care very much. Huge potential here to grow our 'brand' and the PNW have the best supported clubs in the country.
I do not think it is by chance that we are playing games in Seattle and then in North Carolina 3,000 miles away which is another hot spot for football over here.
These tours are primarily about fitness and team bonding. Anything else including 'bigging up the name' is a bonus.

Tell me how many American fans would take notice of us, etc. if we lost every pre-season game in the U.S. and won our league and a cup as opposed to winning every U.S. preseason game and then finishing 17th in the league?
I would wager it will be the former scenario.

I know the Denver Broncos beat the Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl. I don't know where any other team finished in the leagues or how any team done in preseason friendlies.

I literally can't believe people think there is so much riding on a tinpot preseason friendly. Some need a serious sense of perspective.
Last edited by Mayday on Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

I swear the more I come on this forum the more I'm losing faith in humanity.
The Difference

Post by The Difference »

Vince wrote: Sorry mate, have to side with American 'Ammer on this topic.
It is totally by chance that the 2nd game was in NC. It was due to be in Houston, but due to a number of factors (one being the amount of rain in south Texas this year leading to the playing surface at the Dynamo stadium scheduled to be replaced in late June, and it was) the game was passed on.
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

'Bury Me', part of your West Ham education is games like last nights. As others have said previously, what might have seemed grim last night will be good for your future. As someone mentioned, Stockport wasn't an ideal way to spend an evening but its games like those that will prepare you for what's in front of you and perversely a lot of those matches are the ones you tend to stick in your memory, its good for the soul, in a self flagellation sort of way.
Always remember the words of a very famous man,

"If in these, our darkest times, when everything seems to be at its lowest point, when it seems as if the whole world is conspiring against us when we it appears that there is no hope and no future and Armageddon is all that is left to us, this is the time when must keep our hearts strong, when we must band together and not succumb to the darkest forces at our door. If we can keep our heads when all seems to be lost, if we can keep our nerve and summon all of our courage and strength as one, we shall prevail"

Adolf Hitler, the bunker May 1945.
johnfraser

Post by johnfraser »

Am I seeing correctly or did someone quote hitler
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I think you will find Adolf Hitler is infamous not famous.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

johnfraser wrote:Am I seeing correctly or did someone quote hitler
No, you are right and apparently using the quote as a tool for good.
johnfraser

Post by johnfraser »

right, i didn't realise he was celebrated. must be thinking of someone else.
Vince
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

The Difference wrote: It is totally by chance that the 2nd game was in NC. It was due to be in Houston, but due to a number of factors (one being the amount of rain in south Texas this year leading to the playing surface at the Dynamo stadium scheduled to be replaced in late June, and it was) the game was passed on.
I know Houston was mentioned some time ago, but didn't know it was a given.
Mayday is of course right, the team bonding is very important and as I also mentioned the result itself is irrelevant.
But from purely a business type of perspective, in my opinion, a more favourable result would have been preferred.
Anyway, that's it from me on the subject, now waiting to make the 6 hour trek next week to see our boys play.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

:lol: wtf is happening in this thread?
Hammer.CA

Post by Hammer.CA »

johnfraser wrote:Am I seeing correctly or did someone quote hitler