PSF: Seattle Sounders 3-0 West Ham Utd (06/07/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Re: Seattle Sounders v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Has Bilic been sacked yet? #SackTheBoard #SackTheManager #SackTheTeaLady
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

LeonRivers wrote::lol: wtf is happening in this thread?
It's starting to become 'Hall of Fame' material.

I can't get over that Adolf Hitler has made an appearance in a preseason friendly thread. :lol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Does it count as Godwin's law?
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

As an American (albeit Houston, Texas) Hammers fan, I can tell you that anyone who knows anything about the sport knows that the MLS doesn't even remotely compare to the quality of the Premier League. Sure there will be simple minded fans who think that West Ham is now a terrible team because they lost to the Sounders, but for the most part people know that it was a meaningless friendly.

I watch my local team, the Houston Dynamo, quite frequently (and I was very disappointed that the pre-season game didn't come to fruition). The MLS is a growing league, but it's a long way from being as competitive as the other major leagues. Games like these don't change the opinion of people who watch the Premier League regularly. In fact I think Chelsea lost last year to an MLS team (Vancouver maybe?) and it didn't affect their brand over here at all.

It's true that your average American sports fan puts winning above all else, which is why you have a lot of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, etc. fans. So I guess if those are the fans you want to attract, then maybe last night's game might have hurt a little bit, but other posters are correct in that actual success in the league is what will bring the most fans. Last night was a training exercise, and we came away from it with 0 injuries. I call that a success.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

I saw the 3-0 loss at Canvey last pre-season. That wasn't great either.

Somehow we survived.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Wow just wow, anyone that gets upset over any scoreline in a pre season doesn't goto matches regularly, it's just a training session, neither team that started the 1st or 2nd half would ever start a premier league match. Yesterday was a complete success, no injurys, fitness improved and Slav will get to look at the new signings and see what they can offer.
yonni
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by yonni »

This has cheered me up no end. There I was thinking that the Snug had become a bit slow recently. I've obviously been looking in the wrong place. Thanks BMATB et al for you're well crafted humour. You should be writing for the BBC with wit like that.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Why did I just read this thread? And I know better too. I'm really, really disappointed in myself.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

american 'ammer wrote:
While most good Englishmen couldn't give a toss about what Americans think about this or that, I wonder if the Davids might desire a country of 300 million to begin to care about their club and become fans (customers)...
So if we had won 3-0 we would have 300 million new supporters?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
m-h

Post by m-h »

RyanWHUFC wrote: This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Your, last two posts, actually your last fifty posts, you are so so witty....

Actually ****ing boring as ****. Post a contribution of merit to this Kumb forum or nothing.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Wasn't our last 100% winning record in pre season under Avram........
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

norwaytips wrote:Some of the excuses offered are laughable. Jet lag? You get that coming back, not going over the pond. That way, it is just a long day. Fine after a night's sleep.
Speak for yourself. I've always had terrible jet lag going to the States and double-bad going all the way to the West Coast. It is said to take a day to recover for every hour of time difference. It's an eight-hour difference going to Seattle. You do the maths. Human physiology is what it is, no matter what job you do or how
much you're being paid.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

I love how some have taken this defeat like a dagger to the heart.
Pre-season tours eh? I remember last year's 'debacle'. Add that embarrassing exit in the Europa qualifiers and we looked up **** street, proper eh?

Had we beaten Seattle, what difference would it have made?

Seriously. :eh:
DjBelz

Post by DjBelz »

Thought I had seen it all until Hitler was mentioned in a pre-season thread. Actually on that note - do the mods really think that sort of post should be anywhere near a football match forum? I'm not usually one to make a fuss but I found it a little bit offensive that he was quoted in relation to a change for good.. not to mention in a completely irrelevant context.

In all seriousness though - as much as we would love to see our team "performing" every minute they take the field, the reality is the pre-season is the best tool for making real level assessments of where the young/new/established players are in terms of level/fitness/combinations and general attitude etc. I much prefer that we sacrifice whatever potential "marketing" benefit we gain from winning 10-1 versus the gain of the above, not to mention the very real risk of injuries if we play at a full-on match level pace with our first team senior players. We will more than make up for it if we perform on the 'global stage' in the EPL.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Was at the match - would have been good to at least make the opposition keeper work a bit more. 20 shots is great but far too many of ours were heading straight for Row Z. Fair point about all our 16-17 year-olds getting a run out, but this was also a second string Seattle team that omitted most of their MLS first team regulars.

Positives
1. Adrian was good first half. Would have been 6-0 to Seattle if he hadn't been on top of his game. Fair shout for the penalty - definitely a foul.

2. Feghouli - looked lively on the right - dunno how he's gonna fit in with Antonio, but he's got some tricks in him. Reminds me of more of an attack-minded Faubert with a little hint of Di Canio thrown in.

3. Generally, looked much better in the second half when Feghouli, Lanzini & Obiang came on - much improved.

Negatives.
1. Sadly, none of our youngsters or second-stringers shone. Samuelson got out-muscled on the left and was anonymous, Byram got the run around from their winger and didn't have a good handle on the game. Henry looked completely out of place.

2. Hopefully things look better in the weeks ahead, but Martinez was marked out of the game by the two Seattle CB's. Couldn't shake them off or out-muscle them.

3. Obvious to all for good reason, but we looked slow, unfit and off the pace compared to the Seattle second stringers. Ultimately, it was fitness that was the key reason we lost.

Had a good few beers with lots of US-based hammers - crowd was about 700-odd West Ham in our sections 302/303 - mostly expats now on the West Coast (like me) with a good couple of hundred US-born-and-bred hammers throughout. And contrary to some of the keyboard warriors on here, I think our US-born Hammers fans did us proud. Pre-season or not, they travelled hundreds of miles to support the team - and I certainly can't blame any of them for being disappointed. Now that I've met a bunch of them I can say they are West Ham through and through - very passionate and very knowledgeable about the club.

When any European team is touring the US, it's not just a regular pre-season game - it's a marketing exercise to everyone on this side of the pond. Wasn't the result that did us no favours but the performance.

Finally, and worst of all, it was sad to see some prick in a West Ham shirt lob his beer on a bunch of 6 and 8 year-old Seattle fans and their Mums and Dads when their first goal went in. Sometimes words fail me.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I'm in between medication at the moment; that is, I've left it some time to pick up my new subscription and this thread has just kinda done it for me now.
sjfrost1001

Post by sjfrost1001 »

By far my favourite thread for a long, long time.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Didn't watch the game, but by the sound of it, we lost...
:cry: