PSF:Slovacko 2-2 West Ham Utd (19/07/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Re: FC Slovacko v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Oldun »

Every year people get excited about pre season ,it's about minutes on the pitch ,not results.
Look at the positives ,not the negatives.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Wasn't it Antonios first pre-season game?
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Wasn't it Antonios first pre-season game?
Good point.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

giantsteps wrote:Yes that Quina chap looked very confident on the ball didn't he, some lovely touches and control.

Asked Kai the youth team chap on here about him looks like being in the development squad next season which is impressive for a 16 yr old
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Up the Junction wrote:As I understand it, the new deal was a sweetener for someone who doesn't want to play at full back but has been asked/told to.
:thup:
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Ozza wrote:Bloody hell now there's a conspiracy theory that Bilic wants Antonio out of the club as he didn't get tore last season, this place at times is bizarre
It's pretty obvious he's not the type of player Bilic wants behind the front man. He's a COMPLETELY different player to Lanzini, Payet, Tore and Feghouli, all players that Bilic wanted. His major contribution to our style of play is his ability to bring the ball out from deep into the final third. We have Kouyate to do that.

He got a plyer that he didn't want dumped on him. He didn't play him for months, until he had literally no other option. As soon as other options became available he moved Antonio back to defence, where there was literally no other option.

My big question is why Bilic's last resort seems to have acquired a starting berth in the side in a position he is patently not equipped to function in?
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

Watched the game and as somebody else stated, its all about minutes on the pitch, however my take:

Quina looks a player, great touch, one for the nearer future

Fletcher looks like he could make the step up ala Rashford

Martinez, didn't do too much

We need summer shorts, our players were tucking them into their knickers!
Chapel Hill Hammer

Post by Chapel Hill Hammer »

First this was Antonio's first 20minutes this pre-season

I also do not agree with the significant number of posters on here about him at RB.

In my opinion, if he does not make RB his own he will not start in the first team, unless there are injuries.

I believe using him with either Feghouli or Tore up ahead will be a serious benefit to the team, additionally he needs to use his forward runs on a less is more basis. Hopefully he won't be absolutely knackered in the last 15 minutes of games.

He's not the finished article by any means but he will improve his defending and positioning greatly over the coming season.

Maybe we are also looking at playing three at the back often next season
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

LeonRivers wrote: It's pretty obvious he's not the type of player Bilic wants behind the front man. He's a COMPLETELY different player to Lanzini, Payet, Tore and Feghouli, all players that Bilic wanted. His major contribution to our style of play is his ability to bring the ball out from deep into the final third. We have Kouyate to do that.

He got a plyer that he didn't want dumped on him. He didn't play him for months, until he had literally no other option. As soon as other options became available he moved Antonio back to defence, where there was literally no other option.

My big question is why Bilic's last resort seems to have acquired a starting berth in the side in a position he is patently not equipped to function in?
Mate you're weird what a load of hyperbole and conspiracy rubbish, so Bilic wanted some international players with excellent touch and control ahead of a raw bloke from the championship but has a knack at finding the net, you do suprise me.

Bilics sees the players he sees the bigger picture he's the only bloke who knows his formations how about knocking the conspiracy garbage on the head? Next you'll be telling me that nasa and working on a plan to deceive us all with the second coming of Christ..... Oh hang on
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Ozza wrote:Mate you're weird what a load of hyperbole and conspiracy rubbish, so Bilic wanted some international players with excellent touch and control ahead of a raw bloke from the championship but has a knack at finding the net, you do suprise me.

Bilics sees the players he sees the bigger picture he's the only bloke who knows his formations how about knocking the conspiracy garbage on the head? Next you'll be telling me that nasa and working on a plan to deceive us all with the second coming of Christ..... Oh hang on
I'm not sure what you fail to understand?

Bilic did not want Antonio. Sullivan bought him. As far as I'm aware, we know both of these to be facts.

Antonio is a terrible right back. We know this to be true, we have seen the evidence in EVERY SINGLE ****ING MATCH he's played in that position.

Slaven Bilic is a talented, knowledgeable and highly regarded manager, yet he continues to make this same heinous error in EVERY SINGLE TEAM SELECTION. We know this to be true as we see it with our eyes.

Why do you suppose that this might be?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Having internet issues and am logged in on my phone, so if someone else wants to start a thread for the game tomorrow please go ahead. Ta.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

It wasn't Antonio's first pre-season game, he got 45 minutes at Chelmsford.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Have to say I don't know as fact that Bilic didn't want Antonio and he certainly doesn't give that impression picking him in front of both Tomkins and recognised full back Byram numerous times last season?

It would appear he sees him as an attacking full back and despite vociferous fans who feel differently, I believe we should trust Slav. He seems to know what he's talking about
Chapel Hill Hammer

Post by Chapel Hill Hammer »

Lee_WHU wrote:It wasn't Antonio's first pre-season game, he got 45 minutes at Chelmsford.
Noted thanks
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Just read the last few posts. Been in the sticks all day w/o internet.

So people hate antonio now?

Right, I'm off.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Just read the last few posts. Been in the sticks all day w/o internet.

So people hate antonio now?

Right, I'm off.
Not at all. In fact the opposite. We love him and want him to play in his best position. Over and above the two international wingers we've just signed to replace him!

But make no mistake, this could scupper any chance of Bilic being offered a new deal in Jan. We won't be anywhere near the top half of the table with him at RB!
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Kin hell,it's getting better and better on here.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Chapel Hill Hammer wrote:
Maybe we are also looking at playing three at the back often next season
This is my thoughts too. Which is why I think he also let Tonks go. I think it'll be easier to draft the Reece's into a 3. Based on that we will have 5 CH for 3 places with a couple of experienced pros in Kouyate and Nortveidt that can fill in if required.

I look back to Slav commentating and he was salivating about marauding fullbacks. That is the way I see his thoughts with Antonio. He has a natural attacking instinct. It needs reigning in a bit when further back the pitch but by having a 3rd CH to cover will allow any slight lapses in concentration or defensive mishaps. A Antonio with either Tore or Feghouli ahead of him could be quite something.

I for one am looking forward to it.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

K, so let's say we got three at the back when attacking - Ogbonna, Reid, Oxford/Collins
Attacking midfield: Feghouli/Antonio, Kouyaté, Nordtveit/Obiang, Cresswell/Töre
Up front: Lanzini, Noble/Samuelsen, Payet
And in front of goal: Carroll/Sakho

Bloody hell, I can't fit all the talent in! And that is just one of the may possibilities. Glad it's Slav who's got to choose the team :scarfer:
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

Dunno whether anyone has mentioned him but I thought 17 year old Declan Rice was excellent at CB. Burke and him hardly put a foot wrong and were rarely troubled. It was actually only when Rice went off that FC Slovacko upped their tempo and started to really threaten. Another thing, Spiegel is actually very poor as a goalkeeper, hopefully Howes or Trott will overtake him pretty soon for that 3rd shirt.