PSF:Slovacko 2-2 West Ham Utd (19/07/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

M*A*R*C

Re: FC Slovacko v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by M*A*R*C »

NeverSayDie wrote:Dunno whether anyone has mentioned him but I thought 17 year old Declan Rice was excellent at CB. Burke and him hardly put a foot wrong and were rarely troubled. It was actually only when Rice went off that FC Slovacko upped their tempo and started to really threaten. Another thing, Spiegel is actually very poor as a goalkeeper, hopefully Howes or Trott will overtake him pretty soon for that 3rd shirt.
That's very strange. Because I agree with all of that. Rice looked very good, and Spiegel looked a bit crap, and not for the first time...
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

Chapel Hill Hammer wrote:First this was Antonio's first 20minutes this pre-season

I also do not agree with the significant number of posters on here about him at RB.

In my opinion, if he does not make RB his own he will not start in the first team, unless there are injuries.

I believe using him with either Feghouli or Tore up ahead will be a serious benefit to the team, additionally he needs to use his forward runs on a less is more basis. Hopefully he won't be absolutely knackered in the last 15 minutes of games.

He's not the finished article by any means but he will improve his defending and positioning greatly over the coming season.

Maybe we are also looking at playing three at the back often next season
It was pretty clear today that Antonio and Byram were slotted as wing backs. I only saw the second half, but Kouyate was certainly slotted as a Very Deep DM and each time the fullbacks got forward and the ball was cleared, it looked like we were basically three at the back. I have to say I like it. It will be a lot of fun to watch Payet, Tore, and Feghouli cut in to the middle with Cresswell and Antonio overlapping and to understand that Nordveit is playing that third CB when we are on the attack.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It's nice to see the new players but let's not judge players too harshly. We've looked **** in the last 2 pre seasons but then have got off to a storming start in the league both times.

Admittedly, the Europa league match is a slight concern but we should be ok if we play enough senior players. Cullen and Burke are the only youngsters that should start IMO.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think the main thing I took away from the game was the fact that we controlled midfield much more when Cullen and noble were on the pitch. They did a good job of keeping possession and dictating play. It all got a bit scrappy in the second half without them.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

[quote="Burnley Hammer"]I think the main thing I took away from the game was the fact that we controlled midfield much more when Cullen and noble were on the pitch. They did a good job of keeping possession and dictating play. It all got a bit scrappy in the second half without them.[/

Well, the second half was more scrappy, but not because of Cullen. He played the whole game. (And was good).
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Maybe it was the presence of noble that helped then, or maybe some of the players had simply tired. It was notable though that we were struggling to string more than 2 passes together by the end. Like I say though, nothing to overly worry about.