ELQ3: West Ham Utd 3-0 NK Domzale (05/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ricardo

ELQ3: West Ham Utd 3-0 NK Domzale (05/08/16)

Post by Ricardo »

Thursday 4 August 19:45
The Queen Elizabeth London Olympic Stadium in London.

Previous Match:

Thursday 28 July 19:45, Stadion Stozice

Domzale 2 - 1 West Ham United

Sorry Hammers slip to defeat in first leg of Europa League qualifier in Slovenia

West Ham have work to do in their opening match at the Olympic Stadium next week after they were surprised 2-1 by Slovenian side Domzale.

The Hammers struggled throughout the first leg of the Europa League third qualifying round match at the Stozice Stadium on Thursday night, losing to early goals in either half from Matic Crnic. Mark Noble’s first-half penalty gave the Hammers what could prove a vital away goal, but Slaven Bilic will be aware of the dangers of another early European exit.

The Premier League side were originally drawn to play the first leg at home but asked Uefa to switch the legs to help get their new ground ready on time following recent Athletics events at the venue – and they may now be regretting that request.

The Hammers named a strong starting line-up for their first competitive match of the season, Andy Carroll starting up front while there were debuts for Sofiane Feghouli on the right-wing and fellow free transfer Havard Nordtveit, at centre-back. Gokhan Tore missed out through injury, along with Aaron Cresswell, ruled out for over three months with a knee problem, Diafra Sakho, Manuel Lanzini and Dimitri Payet.

Bilic was absent from the Hammers dug-out, completing a two-match touchline ban from last year’s travails in the competition.The Hammers went out of the competition at the same third qualifying round stage last season, losing to Astra Giurgiu after beating Lusitanos and Birkirkara in previous rounds.

With the play-off round still to follow next month, West Ham hope to join Manchester United and Southampton in the group stages, which get under way in September.

Carroll was heavily involved in the opening minutes, going close with a back header before being subjected to some robust challenges in and around the Domzale box. The hosts were quick to recover and went ahead from the penalty spot after Nordtveit was harshly judged by Turkish referee Mete Kalkavan to have handled a shot just 10 minutes into his debut. Crnic scored the resultant spot-kick amid disgruntled Hammers faces, on the pitch, in the dug-out and in the stands.

The visitors were not miserable for long, however, West Ham awarded a spot-kick of their own just six minutes later, keeper Alex Maraval charging into the back of Winston Reid and catching him around the head. Noble easily netted from the spot to give the Hammers parity on the night and a crucial away goal. Feghouli began brightly and posed a danger with his crossing, while at the other end scorer Crnic tested Adrian with a shot from the angle after cutting in from the left wing. Obiang went close from the edge of the box following a half-cleared corner after half an hour but Marko Alvir also threatened with a header and Benjamin Morel a free-kick from distance as the hosts took control.

Crnic started the second half just as he had the first – finding the net for a second time with yet another run down the left wing. The 24-year-old Slovenian international made light of the free space afforded him by an upfield Mikhail Antonio and cut inside to send a low shot around Adrian to put his side ahead again.

Jure Balkovec forced Adrian to push round the post as Domzale enjoyed more joy down the left , before Majer made the keeper work from distance. Adrian was again West Ham’s saviour in the final minutes, keeping out Crnic for a hat-trick from outside the area before getting up to superbly deny Amedej Vetrih from close range.

The second leg takes place next Thursday at the Olympic Stadium, and captain and scorer Noble remained positive.

"We lost [but I] don't think it was a penalty for them," he said. "We have to get on with it. The second leg is something to look forward to but we have to go there positively. It will be our first game at the Olympic Stadium and the fans will be behind us. You are going to miss a player like Dimitri but that is no excuse. We had a good enough team to win here but we did not do that. We better play well next Thursday,"
Ricardo

Re: West Ham Utd v NK Domzale: EL Q3 Match Thread

Post by Ricardo »

While I remember, if anyone has a programme from the first leg and they would be willing to scan the front cover for me, please get in touch by pm. Ta.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Have we decided if the game is on BT sports yet?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The moment of truth for the team , club, and supporters , our first match in a new stadium , how will everyone take to it ? Will the players settle in , will it feel like home , will the 54,000 sell out produce an atmosphere to match any one of dozens upon dozens of matches under the lights at the Boleyn did ?

We'll soon know .

The tie is finely poised with a 1-0 win sufficient to take us through due to the away goal secured in Lubijana and Adrians brilliant save near full time preventing the Slovenian side getting a crucial third .

Will the Manager stick to his likely pre season schedule and rest key players or will he go for the win with the first team , dare he defy the 54,000 ? Somehow I don't think he will, he's smart enough to know we want to be in this competition and I'm expecting a strong team , albeit one shorn of any late returnees from the Euros .

----------------------------------------------Adrian-----------------------------------

Burke-------------------------Kouyate-----------------Reid---------------Byram

-----------------------------Obiang---------------------Nordviet--------------------

Feghouli---------------------------------Noble------------------------------Antonio

---------------------------------------------Carroll--------------------------------------

Bench - Quina, Sameulson, Randolph, Oxford, Cullen,Valencia, Lucky fan

3-1 to us , and in the hat .
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Good team, Pinks.

We are going to roast this mob. They are not going to know what hit them. 54,000 West Ham. The referee needs to know what the score is too.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Is Lucky Fan our new Chinese striker we signed to tap in to the Asian merchandising market?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

No it's a new concept I'm introducing when the squad is a bit thin .They should set up a computer that picks a seat number in the new place and the person in it gets to appear on the bench .

If that sounds far fetched I made the Hamburg SV bench a few seasons back .Fink wouldn't stick me on though , despite Allardyce telling him he should do .

My starting XI is enough to beat Domzale , we won't need the subs .
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Really excited about this, our first ever game in the new stadium, under the lights and with it all to play for :scarfer:
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

I really hope that the match day / evening experience is enjoyed by all, and all the anti movers in particular, with the pro movers, at least can agree it has worked out reasonably well although it may never live up to the Boleyn for many. I hope generally all goes well (bound to be some glitches) and going forward we all take to our new home, fingers crossed. :crest:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The one guarantee for this one is that there'll be people still trying to find their seats & coming in at the 20 minute mark of the game
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Hope WHU see sense and play proper full backs instead of two makeshifts
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Is this going to be a Europa qualifier attendance record?
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

What did Fletcher do to get dropped for a lucky fan Pinks?
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Been planning my route this morning as I'll be working in MK on Thursday. MK to Euston (train), Euston to St Pancras (tube/walk), St Pancras to Stratford International (fast train), Walk. Should take about an hour and 15 if I get the timings right.
BiggerSam

Post by BiggerSam »

Alfiehammer wrote:Have we decided if the game is on BT sports yet?
According to Lady Brady, no it won't be.

I fail to see any logic in this decision. The game is sold out and it's a crucial match in terms of us qualifying. BT I imagine would pay a decent wedge for it, particularly when you factor in its the first game at the OS.

As a fan that couldn't attend, despite wanting to, feels like a bit of a kick in the balls. Club holds the rights to ensure it gets shown to fans like myself, and have made the decision not to.

Really hope this change over the next few days, id happily pay the ticket price to watch it on TV/internet
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Is this going to be a Europa qualifier attendance record?
No that belongs to Dortmund last season
Borussia Dortmund beat Wolfsburg last season in front of 65,190 beating the previous record by 10,000
That info is from uefa.com
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Hayden wrote:What did Fletcher do to get dropped for a lucky fan Pinks?
He hasn't appeared in the Kumb.com squad list yet ( and therefore I forgot all about him )
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

BiggerSam wrote: According to Lady Brady, no it won't be.
and from reading the responses to her tweet on twitter, she is getting a backlash from people letting her know how bad a decision this is.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Looks sold out to me?

Strange because Domzale confirmed on their website at the weekend that 30,000 tickets had been sold...
BiggerSam

Post by BiggerSam »

sanchoz wrote:
and from reading the responses to her tweet on twitter, she is getting a backlash from people letting her know how bad a decision this is.
I know, I'm one of them :D

Not that I think it will make one iota of difference.