ELQ3: West Ham Utd 3-0 NK Domzale (05/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v NK Domzale: EL Q3 Match Thread

Post by Irrons »

Getting back to Wickford after the game was an absolute nightmare but this was solely down to the joke company that is Abellio Greater Anglia rather than West Ham. Stayed til the end and got to Platform 10 at 22:15 (it was heaving) so no chance of getting on the 8(!) carriage 22:20 service to Southend Vic which was basically a cattle train. The next one was supposed to be half an hour later (a twelve carriage...) but was cancelled due to "a train fault". So had to wait over an hour for the 23:22 and finally got back home at 12:30am. I've sent a complaint via Twitter but I'm sure nothing will come of it as Abellio are generally a shambles and couldn't organise their way out of a paper bag
Last edited by Irrons on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

west ham15 wrote: Apparently there is a shuttle bus that will take people like your dad to and from the station, I'm sure i read that somewhere yesterday.
I also saw the stewards opening a fence with a big wheelchair sign on it for a less-abled gent and his family. would assume this means a shorter path through the centre or something.

I did leave at 80 mins yesterday admittedly. i had issues with childcare back home and had to get back to northampton asap. it doesn't happen often i apologise :twisted:
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Irrons wrote:Getting back to Wickford after the game was an absolute nightmare but this was solely down to the joke company that is Abellio Greater Anglia rather than West Ham. Stayed til the end and got to Platform 10 at 22:15 (it was heaving) so no chance of getting on the 8(!) carriage 22:20 service to Southend Vic which was basically a cattle train. The next one was half an hour later (a twelve carriage...) but was cancelled due to "a train fault". So had to wait over an hour for the 23:22 and finally got back home at 12:30am. I've sent a complaint via Twitter but I'm sure nothing will come of it as Abellio are generally a shambles and couldn't organise their way out of a paper bag
These train companies do not care for thier passengers at all , none of them are any good they make the old british rail look good.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

west ham15 wrote: Apparently there is a shuttle bus that will take people like your dad to and from the station, I'm sure i read that somewhere yesterday.
There is. There were a few young guys and a girl in Stratford station with signs, couldn't miss them if you were looking for them.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Harry Hound wrote:

It was very different, at UP if you didn't want to queue you just walked to Plaistow, Forest gate, Canning Town or jumped on a bus to somewhere, here we were all kettled in and couldn't go anywhere. :thdn:
Pudding Mill Lane, Hackney Wick, and Stratford City are good options.

Out of interest did the DLR stop at Stratford from Stratfrod City on the way home?
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

fjthegrey wrote: Apparently there is a shuttle bus that will take people like your dad to and from the station, I'm sure i read that somewhere yesterday.
Did anyone use it? This may be the way to go for my dad (he's 85 and can't walk too far) - wondering how long they held the buses at the stadium before letting them leave after the game.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

steveyrockstar wrote:I've just been permanently traumatised by those 18 inch sausages
Unlike your old dear 8-)
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Two of us left on 90 mins, from the West Stand walked around the stadium over the bridge to Stratford station and apart from the slowing down to go round a tighter corner or to get into the station it wasn't a nightmare at all. Heard loads of people moaning but it was so much more efficient than queuing at Upton Park. Inside the Station they need resolve a few issues like blocking an entrance to a Platform with a train pulling into it in less than 10mins (Platform 10a if anyone else saw it?) and telling us to go back around against the crowds!
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

trick88 wrote:Two of us left on 90 mins, from the West Stand walked around the stadium over the bridge to Stratford station and apart from the slowing down to go round a tighter corner or to get into the station it wasn't a nightmare at all. Heard loads of people moaning but it was so much more efficient than queuing at Upton Park. Inside the Station they need resolve a few issues like blocking an entrance to a Platform with a train pulling into it in less than 10mins (Platform 10a if anyone else saw it?) and telling us to go back around against the crowds!

This 100% , exactly the same, was back at woodford just gone 10. More of a drag getting to the station but simple to be fair, train came within 2 minutes
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Was the queuing worse than for UP? I went via Stratford International and it was a breeze - didn't even really join any queues. Hackney Wick direction looked open too.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Mega Ron
Yes the DLR from Stratford International did stop at Stratford, no queues straight on train.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

BMLGirl wrote: Did anyone use it? This may be the way to go for my dad (he's 85 and can't walk too far) - wondering how long they held the buses at the stadium before letting them leave after the game.
I didn't see anyone use it, but I'm sure I read something about the club having to provide it for every game.

So as you're coming off the jubilee line, you head up the escalators and they were right on the walkway in between the stairs/escalator and the overground trains. Basically the route that the tannoy system was suggesting people walk.
I'm fairly sure they would be within this picture, or nearly within this picture.

They were wearing West Ham gear and were holding up small signs, very young looking.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Most frustrating thing is people shuffling along looking down at their phone complaining that it's taking ages to walk to the station when there is space in front of them and they are just getting in everyone's way.

Put your phone in your pocket, keep walking/moving and an eye on what is in front of you and you'll get there in no time.

Moving 2 minutes after the person in front of you moves is clearly going to cause issues.

It was like rubber necking traffic. Thankfully you can just move around people and squeeze past if they aren't paying attention. Did make me chuckle that they were moaning when in actual fact they were slowing themselves down.
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

I just wanted to give some praise to Domzale compared to the teams we played last season who constantly play acted and feigned injury at every opportunity they actually tried to play football and i thought they looked pretty handy i actually think they looked better than Astra did especially in the first leg. Last season's European games for me were marred by the constant play acting and feigning of injuries by the opposition so i am pleased we had opponents who actually tried to play football.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

trick88

Post by trick88 »

wizzo_66 wrote:
Put your phone in your pocket, keep walking/moving and an eye on what is in front of you and you'll get there in no time.

Bang on. Saw way too many grown men playing Pokemon on their phone strolling along :x
Super Slavs Man

Post by Super Slavs Man »

OK - I haven't read through all of the comments on this thread, so apologies if there is some duplications!
But here are my thoughts on the team performances last night -

Randolph - Didn't really have a lot to do, but the one time he was called upon t make a proper save he did so (and the shot was not dissimilar t the one that Adrian let in last week). I think we have a very good back up keeper and it wouldnt surprise me if he is challenging Adrians spot by the end of the season.

Antonio - Clearly not the answer at right back (still getting caught forward to often), but having said that, when he gets forward he always looks so dangerous - the effort to pick up the loose pass from Andy Carroll to create the second goal epitomises what Antonio is all about.

Byram - This lad has really impressed me in the last two games. Playing out of position I think he did a sterling job and has eased my concerns over RB. Aside from a few dodgy passes up the line (with his weaker foot), I thought his positional sense was excellent and he's not afraid to put the boot in. I can see him blossoming into our permanent RB for many years to come (much the same as Cresswell has made the LB spot his own).

Oxford - Stand out performance of the night for me. How composed is this lad at such a young age? He also appears to have got stronger and really covered Antonio's backside a fair few times when he was caught up-field - We MUST NOT SELL AT ANY PRICE!!

Reid - I thought that last week he looked well out of sorts, but returned this week to the commanding presence that he should be. I think at CB we are well covered this season.

Nordveit - So much better in his preferred holding midfield role. I like the way he passes the ball out of defence, has the range to hit the long diagonals or play it short and allowed Noble and Kouyate to get forward more where they are more effective.

Noble - Is it just me, or has Mark Noble become twice the player he was in the year he has had under Bilic???? No more of the pirouettes in the middle of the park, no more running into blind alleys, always available, pass completion massively improved and now he is being given licence to get forward more has the ability to create chances.

Kouyate - Like Noble, far more effective when he is allowed to get forward more - a proper box to box midfielder - and he knows where the net is. His engine is off the scale.

Valencia - I felt a bit sorry for Enner. Moments before that woeful miss, I was stood there thinking that he was having one of his better games for us. Pressing high and winning he ball, taking on players and creating chances - but he just seems to have no confidence in front of goal - wont get a look in when Dimi is back.

Feghouli - really happy with what I have seen so far - looks an intelligent player, makes the right runs off the ball, wicked cross on him and took his goal so confidently - he and Payet are going to frighten a lot of defences this season.

Carroll - Of all the players that started last night, he disappointed me the most. I know that their defence did a job on him, but he has to be used to that by now surely??
I also thought his positioning was off, how many times did good crosses come in while he was stood on the edge of the box? I prefer hi as an impact sub when we need a goal and it's Alamo time.

Loved the atmosphere - has allayed any fears i had on that front - If thats what its like against a team of minnows from Slovenia (with absolutely no away support) - imagine the noise when we play the filth!!!

Feeling cautiosly optimistic :crest:
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

anjado wrote:I just wanted to give some praise to Domzale compared to the teams we played last season who constantly play acted and feigned injury at every opportunity they actually tried to play football and i thought they looked pretty handy i actually think they looked better than Astra did especially in the first leg. Last season's European games for me were marred by the constant play acting and feigning of injuries by the opposition so i am pleased we had opponents who actually tried to play football.
Maybe they didn't play act but they fouled heavily in both games,nigglily fouls that broke up play as we countered.I thought it was a joke how the refs rarely punished this with a yellow and thus encouraging it. We ended the game with more cautions than them.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

fjthegrey wrote:[quote="BMLGirl
I didn't see anyone use it, but I'm sure I read something about the club having to provide it for every game.

So as you're coming off the jubilee line, you head up the escalators and they were right on the walkway in between the stairs/escalator and the overground trains. Basically the route that the tannoy system was suggesting people walk.

They were wearing West Ham gear and were holding up small signs, very young looking.
Cool, thanks. Coming in on the central line but know where you're talking about - will give it a try on Sunday.
TSmitty
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by TSmitty »

My stream went a bit wonky in the 2nd half. What happened to the ref?
I saw it said "injured"? Can't have been writer's cramp, what was it.