Chelsea 2-1 West Ham Utd (15/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Re: Chelsea vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by mushy »

kalashnikov wrote: Count the Chelsea players around the box. T
And where are Noble and Kouyate? Well behind the play aren't they.

We'll concede goals this season because those two have close to the worst positional sense of any of the midfielders in the prem. Headless chickens.
Noble and Kouyate -headless chickens with the worst positional sense of any midfielders in the prem?

i think I have just about heard it all now.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

The second goal was all about where and how we lost the ball in midfield and very little to do with how we defended it subsequently. Players will always look weak positionally when the ball is turned over poorly, although I agree the midfield could have dropped far deeper
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mushy wrote:
Noble and Kouyate -headless chickens with the worst positional sense of any midfielders in the prem?

i think I have just about heard it all now.
Noble and Kouyate have lots and lots of strengths. Positional sense, or at least disciplined positional sense, is definitely not one of them them.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

kalashnikov wrote:Image
Screengrab from 2/3 seconds before they scored.

Count the Chelsea players around the box. Then count the West Ham players. 4 v 4. 88mins. Away from home. 1-1. A simple long ball gets lumped forwards. It wouldn't be so bad if it were 3 vs 4, but Moses' run has completely taken our midfield out of the game.

And where are Noble and Kouyate? Well behind the play aren't they.

We'll concede goals this season because those two have close to the worst positional sense of any of the midfielders in the prem. Headless chickens.
Well said, people just don't get it, teams that are solid always have somebody screening their back 4, we have 3 midfielders all doing whatever they want on the pitch with no clear instructions for one to be within 10 yards of the centre backs at all times. Noble is a Jack of all trades, master of none, he is neither a defensive midfielder nor an attacking midfielder. We didn't even get near their 2 **** and slow centre backs because they had 2 players screening the back 4, we always look so vulnerable to counter attacks and long balls, it's just poor organisation and the wrong personell in vital positions.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Said it before, we could have all 3 Juve CB's starting and concede bundles. Noble will never look at the space behind him, he'll just go running towards whoever has the ball whilst Kouyate is looking for any excuse to counter or make a run into the box.

I know he was sloppy last season, but everytime Song played he would consistently be top for tackles and interceptions. Think we should have gone for M'Vila on a free this year.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

We'll concede goals this season because those two have close to the worst positional sense of any of the midfielders in the prem. Headless chickens.[/quote]

I bet that's why we got relegated last season then, ffs.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I still think nordtveit will do that job fine... he was of f the pitch at that point, yes? I know he had an awful game but I don't think it reflective of his abilities. Just one of those games....
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Xabbu wrote:The second goal was all about where and how we lost the ball in midfield and very little to do with how we defended it subsequently. Players will always look weak positionally when the ball is turned over poorly, although I agree the midfield could have dropped far deeper
Hmm look again. https://my.mixtape.moe/qxcasu.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a lot of time between losing the ball and Matic eventually lumping it forwards.

Noble and Kouyate are marking the center of the pitch. No Chelsea players within 15m of them. They are neither pressing nor dropping deeper to protect the space behind.

I actually the issue is they tend to play as a 2. So they press as a 2 and drop as a 2. Neither are good enough to judge when to press and when to drop. They'd be better off playing staggered. One always slightly deeper than the other and vice versa.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Hammer.CA wrote:
I bet that's why we got relegated last season then, ffs.
No it's why we had the worst defensive record of any team in the top 7. Maybe even 8, I can't recall.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

kalashnikov wrote:No it's why we had the worst defensive record of any team in the top 7.
We came 7th. If we'd come 3rd your comment might be fairly shocking. But we came 7th so having the worst defensive record in the top 7 isn't exactly a shock.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

We also had the 14th lowest points total, which for a team finishing 7th is unacceptable in my view.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I still think nordtveit will do that job fine... he was of f the pitch at that point, yes? I know he had an awful game but I don't think it reflective of his abilities. Just one of those games....
Well said Burnley.

Players normally take time to settle in this league. The way the likes of this lad and Tore have been written off by some after just one game is flippin' ridiculous. They're good players - they'll come through.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Hammer1972 wrote:We also had the 14th lowest points total, which for a team finishing 7th is unacceptable in my view.
We also hold the award for 'Team relegated with the most points'

Is that unacceptable too?

no offence intended
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Hammer1972 wrote:We also had the 14th lowest points total, which for a team finishing 7th is unacceptable in my view.
:D
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Let's just give OFT a minute....
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

I'll wake up in a min :P
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

kalashnikov wrote:No it's why we had the worst defensive record of any team in the top 7.
fjthegrey wrote: We came 7th. If we'd come 3rd your comment might be fairly shocking. But we came 7th so having the worst defensive record in the top 7 isn't exactly a shock.
Oh sorry I'll correct myself. We conceded the most goals in the top 7. The next worst team conceded 41 goals - 10 less than ourselves.

That's a shock.

The bastions of defensive stability Swansea and Watford conceded 1 more and 1 less respectively. While the defensive archmaster himself, Roberto Martinez, managed to concede just 4 more.