Chelsea 2-1 West Ham Utd (15/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: Chelsea vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Aceface »

fjthegrey wrote:I said it yesterday and I stand by it. That was the worst Valencia has ever been for us.
I remember the pure alarm of watching his first game for us in some early League Cup game given he'd just become our second most expensive signing ever. The ball was bouncing off him like peak Carlton, he was getting bundled over constantly and he ran the ball out a couple of times. Against League 1 opposition.

It wasn't like watching Nordtveit yesterday, where it's evident the basic competency is there but the execution or composure wasn't on the night. It was witnessing someone with non-existent basics. Amazing to think he's still exactly the same. It's like if we persisted with Pablo Barrera for three seasons. The guy is clearly not cut out for what we're trying to do.
Hammers1993
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Hammers1993 »

Review of last night:

- Serious question marks over Bilic. Okay playing Antonio there last season was makeshift, but he continued playing him there costing us games and to carry on doing so into the new season is not acceptable. Even more so when you have Byram on the bench who is a better option there.

As a side note on Antonio/Bilic I have to say Bilic can't be blamed completely for Antonio to decide running out with the ball at right back and then clicking the guys heels.. However, him trying to take that out of right mid wouldn't of been such a danger if he wasn't being played at right back. So yes, that definitely lies with Bilic and if he plays him at right back again then I think the crowd could actually start to turn. (Remember Allardyce with Nolan playing, if that was Allardyce in charge last night this whole place would be calling for him to be sacked).

- Valencia - This guy is absolute toilet and should of been sold at the beginning of the transfer window when the rumoured offers of a loan/6 mil/ANYTHING were there. To play him over Antonio on the wing and not putting Byram at right back from the start makes me question Bilic even more. Valencia had a whole pre season and showed exactly why he shouldn't be in the team.

- Tore - I think it is harsh people judging him on last night, however.. When he feautured in pre season he barely touched the ball, same as last night. Really worrying signs to be honest. Having said that I still feel it is too early to judge him and put it down to him integrating with the team and it will come good (hopefully).

- "Midfield 3" - This will upset a lot of you as most think Noble is undroppable, but sadly, if Bilic plays a 3, when everybody is fit the best 3 would have to be Nordveit, Kouyate and Lanzini as you need that creativity in the 3 to move things forward, having Noble/Nordveit is too much of the same thing and it really tells as the midfield slows to a halt at times.

Reason for choosing Nordveit over Noble is I feel technically Noble and Nordveit are very similar players and when both are in the team it would slow things down too much in the middle, to be fair they both had shockers last night. The only reason I would go with Nordveit over Noble is he is a proper DM wheras Noble I feel is more of a CM, over the season Nordveit in that deep role with Kouyate and Lanzini ahead would offer more creativity, that's just my opinion though and I can see the argument for Noble playing ahead of him too.

- Ayew - Not a striker, just unfortunate him getting injured nothing he could of done. Does this mean we sign another winger because Bilic obviously doesn't want Antonio their, or do we finally sign a striker?

- Payet - Looked good when he came on, unfortunately for us without him we are bog standard. Main reason we did so well last year and it showed when he was out of the team, something like 5 draws wern't it?

- Carroll - Did nothing, but had no service so can't blame him. Is that going to be the case all season though? What will happen when he get's injured? There was no striker on the bench.. Yet the board/Bilic seem to be saying business is done. Surely they realise we need a striker. Pay Bacca. Now. If he does want to come just go and ****ing sign him, fed up of broken promises over a striker and never getting one, this will be the difference this year.

Referee - Yes Kante and Costa arguably should of been off. Same old seems to be happening but why did Adrian feel the need to piss about with it in the first place?

- Arthur - Only positive from last night for me. He looks very, very good defensively and with someone better (Mr.Payet) in front of him he will do very well getting forward too. Looks a good signing at this stage.

Overall, we deserved nothing from last night and would of been very, very fortunate to come away with a point.

Let's hope Bilic starts putting right some of his wrongs in our next game by dropping players who have had more than enough chances and playing a right back, at right back.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Bristol, I thought Reid was way better than Collins. Opinions eh?

Fact is that game was lost in the middle of the park.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The problem with Tore is that he's small and looks very non-descript. He just doesn't look like a cool option when the midfield breaks forward. I feel that if he had a red mohawk hairdo or something, then he'd get more of the ball.

Seriously though... I felt that he was playing too deep. He should have kept himself higher up the pitch and made himself an option for the counter. He'll come good, I'm sure of it.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

DDHammer wrote:Byram is 23 next month and has played week in week out in the Championship, we're not talking about a 17 year old Reece Oxford being chucked in at the deep end here.

He's looked good against good opposition on the few times he's played, he's ready to step up.
Really?
I cannot recall which games these were.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

mushy wrote: Really?
I cannot recall which games these were.
His first game against Man City, played brilliantly. Against Sunderland last season and played very well against Domzale, granted against poor opposition but he was at left back!
Last edited by trick88 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

We are still a work in progress keep the faith. chelski. last season was a blip for them they will be top 5 this season.We are on the rise and need to be patient and get behind the boys Rome wasnt built in a day. I rekon bilic will concentrate on the cups this year and consolidation in the league Come on you irons :crest:
ads78
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

Having had time to reflect:

Positives:
Masuaka looks more than capable of covering while Cresswell is out injured.
Collins was excellent in everything he did.
Byram looked comfortable when he came on.
We were terrible, but Chelsea only just beat us and needed the ref to do so.

Negatives:
The whole Antonio situation. He is not a full back, but to then take him off and leave Valencia on was shocking.
Lack of support for Carroll. Neither of the wide players not any of the midfield 3 got close enough to him. If the wide guys are going to stay out wide then one of the midfield must be pushing on to Carroll.
Lack of creativity. None of the midfield 3 or the 2 wide players created anything.
Injury to Ayew.

We will be so much better when Payet & Lanzini are back in the team. Onwards and Upwards!!!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

ads78 wrote:Lack of support for Carroll. Neither of the wide players not any of the midfield 3 got close enough to him. If the wide guys are going to stay out wide then one of the midfield must be pushing on to Carroll.
This is what I feared we'd end up seeing if we were to play a 'proper' DM, which is how we lined up last night. Losing that central attacking midfielder loses a lot of link up play between our central midfielders and the forward line.

Still, thinking about who we were missing last night makes it seem not so bad. Hopefully we can wash the bad taste of last night out of our mouths over the next 37 league games, starting on Sunday.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Burnley Hammer wrote:The problem with Tore is that he's small and looks very non-descript. He just doesn't look like a cool option when the midfield breaks forward. I feel that if he had a red mohawk hairdo or something, then he'd get more of the ball.

Seriously though... I felt that he was playing too deep. He should have kept himself higher up the pitch and made himself an option for the counter. He'll come good, I'm sure of it.
Tore so reminded me of Faubert. Looked like him and played like too
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

DODGYDAL wrote:[]

Surely its not just about the amount though is it? The passes he didn't complete were in awful places that put us back under pressure. The one second half said it all to me no one in front of him strides forward with the ball and passes it straight to the Chelsea player 10 yards in front of him not good enough.

Nobodies perfect and I'm certainly not expecting our CBs to be against that kind of attack away from home. If that's the best you've got to highlight how bad he did over 90 mins, conceding 1 goal from open play late on, it suggests he didn't do all that bad at all, in fact quite the opposite with the The Keeper having very little to do.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

iLoveLasagne wrote: You think about 14 year old lads far too often :D

Ha, ha, I was going for a bit of continuity but I didn't factor in the perverse minds around here!
Girthmeister

Post by Girthmeister »

ads78 wrote:Having had time to reflect:

Positives:
Masuaka looks more than capable of covering while Cresswell is out injured.
Collins was excellent in everything he did.
Byram looked comfortable when he came on.
We were terrible, but Chelsea only just beat us and needed the ref to do so.

Negatives:
The whole Antonio situation. He is not a full back, but to then take him off and leave Valencia on was shocking.
Lack of support for Carroll. Neither of the wide players not any of the midfield 3 got close enough to him. If the wide guys are going to stay out wide then one of the midfield must be pushing on to Carroll.
Lack of creativity. None of the midfield 3 or the 2 wide players created anything.
Injury to Ayew.

We will be so much better when Payet & Lanzini are back in the team. Onwards and Upwards!!!
"Collins was excellent in everything he did". Apart from backing off, not putting in a challenge or closing down Costa in the last minute and letting him have a free shot on goal :x
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

According to Conte last night, he didn't see the incident with Costa's 'tackle' on Adrian. He's now saying that the referee was correct in not sending him off for a 2nd yellow card, how does that work?
:?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Collins used to cop more criticism than he deserved. But then he attained a sort of national treasure status circa 18 months ago, and now he arguably gets deified a little.

Him and Reid both had decent games considering how much was thrown at them, but faultless might be pushing it. He turned his back on Costa's shot and saw it go through his legs.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Girthmeister wrote: "Collins was excellent in everything he did". Apart from backing off, not putting in a challenge or closing down Costa in the last minute and letting him have a free shot on goal :x
Spot on, and what's more, he knew it .He was distraught .

Luckily for him Slaven had already used all 3 subs and there was only a few minutes left or he too would have been facing the walk of shame to the tunnel, singled out and blamed .......
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tore so reminded me of Faubert. Looked like him and played like too
He'll turn out much better than Faubert. Trust me.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Slavs got history of that though, I felt horrible for Ogbonna against Bournemouth that game.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

ads78 wrote: Negatives:
Injury to Ayew.
Ironically, if you fix the Antonio situation, it also resolves the support for Carroll, and creativity issue.