Chelsea 2-1 West Ham Utd (15/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 2996 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Re: Chelsea vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by OFT »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:Hopefully this was the kick up the arse we deserved, wouldn't bet on it though.

The arse was being kicked several times at the end of last season and nobody popped the phone book down their shorts.......worrying
OFT
Has liked: 2996 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

the pink palermo wrote:Is it possible Bilic has told Antonio he will be playing full back, maybe for a season , while Byram gets up to standard , hence why Tore has come in on loan ?
:shock:
Blimey!

Slav needs to revert to his arm around the shoulder style with Antonio if that's the case
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

DDHammer wrote:Slavs got history of that though, I felt horrible for Ogbonna against Bournemouth that game.
Forgot about that, yeah felt bad for Oggy at the time.

Unless everyone's spirit remains in tact and the mistakes are cut out I hope the pattern doesn't continue if I'm honest. It reminds me of when you'd play a non-league side in Championship Manager 97/98 and they would make all their subs as soon as you scored one :D am I right RARS?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Girthmeister wrote:

"Collins was excellent in everything he did". Apart from backing off, not putting in a challenge or closing down Costa in the last minute and letting him have a free shot on goal :x
Except Reid was the wrong side of Bats giving him a free header and leaving Collins stranded. For me Reid was very poor. Nearly cost us albeit a soft penalty, made rash lunges in or around our box and hit too many long balls to the middle of nowhere.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

iLoveLasagne wrote:I think it is clear to see that Bilic is showing some of the stubbornness so inherent in Big Sam when it comes to personnel and/or positions.
I guess as a manager you easily dig yourself into a hole. You have an idea, a plan, a system, a project, and you need to believe in it and make your players believe in it, and you need to shut out everyone and then some splashing their ideas and their opinions about. You can not be seen as fickle. Everyone screams at you that Nolan should be dropped, but you have seen this dip in form before and you know he can play his way out of it. Or everyone goes on and on about Antonio is a winger. But you know he's a good winger, but you also know that if he gets some discipline and positional sense, he'd be an exceptional full back. So you ride it out.

Except this time, Nolan's legs are actually gone for good. And Antonio is actually a good winger, and that's it. But at this point, the fans and the media and your shirt sponsor and everyone else has been bangin that drum for ages. So you might actually have been wrong. But at this point, when you give up the project, you're both wrong and weak, as it will look like you only came to your senses after Betway helped you out on twatter. So what do you do?
polar
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by polar »

You take a step back, and recognise the facts have changed and you change your mind.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Gutted for Antonio & Slavs reaction subbing him, he would of been a great attacking option where we lacked.

Tore looked badly unfit, but also very passive for a player on debut playing against old club.

Valencia looked same ole lost up blind alleys

Carroll gave a great effort but not good in a 1 without a speedster next to him

Kouyate & Noble chasing shadows due to lack of defensive pressing from our wingers, they brought the ball out of defence too easily.

Adrian made a couple of great saves, but very rash & unsettling distribution, many times too hasty trying to start a fast break its not on.

Players kept getting caught on the ball maybe not enough player verbal communcation 'Man On'!!!!

Overall Damp squid, deflated tire, although we nearly nicked a point.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

brooking1966 wrote:Overall Damp squid, deflated tire, although we nearly nicked a point.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Thought Collins had a rather poor night in defence. Great goal, but seemed off the pace and where he usually hides some of his flaws by throwing his body on the line, by being that step off the pace he wasn't doing that anywhere near as much. Not only the goal, there were at least two runs by Hazard where Collins was terrified of him, whilst the yellow card tackle on Costa was dumb to be kind and a sign of how behind he was that he didn't even seem like he was tackling a man who had once had the ball.

Gets a lot of slack on here as he's a popular figure, but it's patronising him to say that was him on a good night. It's unfair on me to be picking him out, but he's getting away with it compared to everyone else (except Masuaka) getting stick. The Tore bashing in particular is somewhat embarrassing.
Perth_Hammer

Post by Perth_Hammer »

Stunned by how poor we were on Monday. For me that was on par with some of the worst Allardyce games.

With the exception of Adrian and Collins no one played well.

Reid, Carroll, Nobes, Nordveit, Antonio and Valencia were all liabitlities and the rest were anonymous.

Australias premier league broadcast rights have gone to a telephone/internet provider and the games are now streamed instead of broadcast on tv. I woke up 2am to drive to my folks where they have high speed Internet so not to deal with lag. Thats the last time I do that.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

With Antonio on a yellow and his head not right subbing him was probably the right thing to do. We needed Byram on at RB, if we had subbed Byram for Valencia there was always the danger of Antonio getting a second yellow.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Antonio DESERVED to be hooked after that. Completely clueless. You can argue that he isn't a full back or whatever but this is not the first time he has played right back and he has been in that position throughout pre-season and no doubt been training in that position. Given Bilic reaction I don't doubt that Antonio has been told not to dick around like that at full back. Byram probably will come in now and Antonio could well find himself on the bench
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Well considering I was screaming at the telly to take Antonio off because I was concerned his head had gone, I certainly don't blame Bilic for reacting swiftly with the right call so the issue didn't manifest any further and Byrams inclusion was fully justified. That's also twice now Byram has had to come on against tough opposition cold from the bench unexpectedly and performed really good. I always believed last season he should have been playing week in, week out.

After further reflection on the game, I've managed to realise there was actually another positive to come out of such a disappointing result against that lot. And that is the fact we all universally accept that was a really poor performance for us, yet we were always within a chance of a result throughout and almost did until the dying moments of the game. Years gone by a poor performance there in the past generally meant we'd be in for a hiding but it never looked close to being that and in long spells, we looked comfortable, if not threatening as we can be.
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

Poor from the players, poor from the manager, poor from the ref. Things can only get better. Oh and we nearly got something out of it :lol:
traxop

Post by traxop »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
Except Reid was the wrong side of Bats giving him a free header and leaving Collins stranded. For me Reid was very poor. Nearly cost us albeit a soft penalty, made rash lunges in or around our box and hit too many long balls to the middle of nowhere.
I must have watched a different game altogether. Free header? Pretty sure it was contested. Wrong side? When is having a defender is between the opposition and goal side considered incorrect positioning? Left Collins stranded? You make it sound like Reid left Collins in an impossible situation - except it was a full 5 seconds from the time the ball bounced off Batshuayi's head to when Costa fire the shot off. Yes, 5 seconds.

Don't want to ruin the narrative, but at this point someone is just making **** up.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

2 defenders with over 900 premiership games between them looked at the goal afterwards and seemed fairly convinced Reid was the wrong side.

Reid did have a pretty poor game to be fair, looked disinterested and sloppy.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Reid definitely looked disinterested and it was annoying me during the game, just looks like he is going through the motions
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Defintely our worst performance for a while. We gave the ball away so cheaply it was infuriating. Noble being a main culprit surprisingly.

Hazard absolutely bossed the game. The bloke seems to have his head screwed back on again. Shame :arry:
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Nobes started to revert back to some of his 2014/15 performances for me, too much dithering and constantly spinning around and cutting back on himself when it would have been wiser to push on forwards with the ball at his feet. As a result, he got caught with the ball a few times on his third or fourth spin.

If only we could get Sakho's mindset back like Chelski appear to have done with Hazard.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Screengrab from 2/3 seconds before they scored.

Count the Chelsea players around the box. Then count the West Ham players. 4 v 4. 88mins. Away from home. 1-1. A simple long ball gets lumped forwards. It wouldn't be so bad if it were 3 vs 4, but Moses' run has completely taken our midfield out of the game.

And where are Noble and Kouyate? Well behind the play aren't they.

We'll concede goals this season because those two have close to the worst positional sense of any of the midfielders in the prem. Headless chickens.