ELPO: Astra Giurgiu 1-1 West Ham Utd (18/8/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Re: Astra Giurgiu v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Hammer1972 »

ironstu wrote:
I doubt it, the big showpiece of the Juventus game is out the way now and so will the first Premier League game at the OS have been shown live on Sky by then, so I would fully expect this to be shown live.
Hope so :thup:
Graza

Post by Graza »

bobd_uk wrote: It is a concern to me that many of our fringe players didn't really seem to be too bothered about trying to show why they should be in the first team. This was an ideal game for them to really make a point, but very few actually did.

Burke was the stand out for me (out of position too) and I would say that he should be ahead of Oxford in the current pecking order.
Burke looked calm and competent in the couple of roles he played, by contrast the usually composed Oxford didn't look the part for me - first time I've thought that from his cameos and he can and should be forgiven one bad performance.

Browne also got stuck in and with a slightly better pass could have killed the game, but you know if the roles were reversed there is no chance Antonio would have done anything other than shoot.

Obiang disappointed though, he was a great ball retention option last year, but when we needed that last night he just didn't look the part at all.

We got some really tasty balls in though and I reckon once fit Tore could be a good player for us in that regard.

On the goal though why was Rudolph on his knees? Has he been training with Jussi?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

JLCABA wrote:Until recently I had thought the Anti Valencia vitriol which is rife on this forum was maybe a little unjustified

Last night confirmed I was wrong

Awful awful performance , my main concern is how little we will get for him that brace against Citeh seems like a distant memory
It is a distant memory.

January, and as it goes, the last time he scored for us.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Had a quick look on "Genunchi In Sus Maro Mama", the Astra forum.

Having beaten us last year they're gutted with the draw. Serious knicker wetting going on, calling for manager's head, etc. The more level headed reckon they'll finish the job easily in London.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

bobd_uk wrote:Looking at seat availability, I'd say we've sold 55,000 already.
None of the additional 6,000 band 5 seats behind the goals were made available to buy on the website (unless it was your season ticket seat), so nearer 49,000 sold.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I would have taken a score draw before a ball was kicked.
It was a **** game to watch and we should have sewn it up on the night. But I am looking forward to Thursday and think we will beat them quite comfortably at our place.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Wembley1966 wrote: None of the additional 6,000 band 5 seats behind the goals were made available to buy on the website (unless it was your season ticket seat), so nearer 49,000 sold.
Fair enough - I was working from the announcement that we're at 57k capacity for this one.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

LeonRivers wrote: I know little of Marcus Browne, but one thing I can tell you is that he certainly does not lack confidence. Quite the opposite. The fact that he passed the ball there was staggering. It showed incredible maturity IMO. How many 18 year olds pass the ball in that position on their debut?
I'm going to have respectfully disagree here Leon. I think passing was the wrong decision. When you can see the whites of the keepers eyes, with no one else pressuring you, you should be shooting for goal, particularly when the support you're passing to is still making up ground and a defender in the vicinity of said player.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Bad performance, decent result.

You'd definitely take it in the circumstances.

On pre-season evidence, Burke looks better equipped than Byram or Oxford to be in the matchday squads.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Their best player is Denis Alibec, he commands a salary of £3k per week.

I fail to see how this is a good result.

Man City just ironed out Bucharest 0-5.

We should be winning by a few goals.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Once again we looked tired, I know it is still early season but......? very impressed with Burke he looks the real job and no way must he be loaned out this season. We need to pick ourselves quickly starting Sunday.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Skandi Brudson wrote:Had a quick look on "Genunchi In Sus Maro Mama", the Astra forum.

Having beaten us last year they're gutted with the draw. Serious knicker wetting going on, calling for manager's head, etc. The more level headed reckon they'll finish the job easily in London.
:D
KingJaffeJoffer

Post by KingJaffeJoffer »

GwentHammers wrote:I'm not too upset about result

Very confident for next week with full line up which could include

Payet
Lanzini
Noble Kouyate
Carrol

And Antonio on the right .....

Strong back four

I suspect with 40,000 plus in stadium witnessing a comfortable win ?

What are people's expectations of the crowd for 2nd leg after result last night ?
Mid 40k's at best. They'll sell a lot of tickets but I'm not convinced that will translate to bums on seats!
Graza

Post by Graza »

Skandi Brudson wrote:Had a quick look on "Genunchi In Sus Maro Mama", the Astra forum.

Taking that at face value all I can say is wow... It's like Charlton getting annoyed at not beating us in the league cup if not Southend.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Graza, I can barely speak English let alone Romanian. Google translate the forum name :wink:
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

:lol:
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Having beaten us last year they're gutted with the draw. Serious knicker wetting going on, calling for manager's head, etc.
Assume their own manager has now put a bet on himself to be sacked. :wink:
WHJ
Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Post by WHJ »

[quote="FortuneZ"]Obiang done what was required I think. I still think he much better in DM as Nordtviet. But, still very early days for Nordtviet I suppose. But from what I have seen of Nordtviet so far, he just reminds me of Kovac.
COYI :crest:[/quote]

I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and met a lot of Borussia Dortmund supporters. All of them had a high opinion of Havard Nordtveit. Maybe he needs a bit of time to adjust to our game.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Next year I'll be 50 years a Hammer ......... /quote]

Same for me Paddy!
:crest:
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1607 likes

Post by chalks »

DODGYDAL wrote:Don't know why people expected any different from tonight.
If it had been a one off most would naturally have had a grumble, but it would have been written off.

The concern, and it is a concern, is it has so far happened in 3 of our 4 games. When you then have people starting to wonder if our players are DELIBERATELY unfit so they last the season longer, then you know things aren't quite right