ELPO: Astra Giurgiu 1-1 West Ham Utd (18/8/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Re: Astra Giurgiu v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Kialos wrote:My main observation from last night was that Pinky and Tore share similar hair colouring and build and could have swapped places with the performance on the pitch not much altered....
:lol:

Point of order if you don't mind young lady , I wouldn't have given the ball away so much in our half and I've still got enough pace to beat the odd player .
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Unfortunately the other teams don't seem to play "odd" players. :wink:
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Rocketron wrote:Unfortunately the other teams don't seem to play "odd" players.
Hmmm I dunno though....Ozil always looks like a constipated chameleon to me. :wink:
Hammericanio

Post by Hammericanio »

the pink palermo wrote:Gutted that Iron Mike couldn't bury the chance to stick us 2-0 up , but you cannot fault his hunger , desire and sheer bloody determination to make up half a pitch to get on the end of Brownes cross .

Exactly the right attitude .
^^^^
This. While I too was gutted when he missed, when Browne passed the ball into space, Antonio wasn't even in the box yet. Also, look at where he is when Browne is at the halfway line. How Antonio makes up the ground and has the burst to even get on to the end of that ball is incredible. The goals will come with that effort.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Spider Webb wrote:You guys kill me hahaha. So Slaven keeps trying Antonio at RB....you guys keep yelling at him to stop it. It takes me some time, but he finally concedes and decides to play him forward. And Byram at RB.

You guys yell at Slaven for playing Valencia wide. He finally plays him back up top...not good enough for y'all.
Do you wear a belt with a Bull on it by any chance?

I have no idea what point you are trying to make about Antonio. :?
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

Double post
Last edited by Longneck'd Iron on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

Just got home. With the team we put out, more than happy with a draw. It'll be a completely different game next week, imo.
Glad the crowd sang about Antonio playing on the wing.
Nearly more police than WHU fans was a joke, & the firemen with the hose pointing at us, what was all that about!!
Hats off to the Old City bar for decking the place out like a WHU bar, only wish I'd got there in time for a t-shirt.
Good to see Romford out there,.He was running around trying to get people in, half way into the 1st half!! Putting others first again.......well, maybe not running lol
Kouyate offering the Astra fan out at the final whistle made my night lol
I was more than happy to be able to see the goal down the other end of the ground, once that flag came down :wink:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Skandi Brudson wrote:"Genunchi In Sus Maro Mama", the Astra forum.
:lol: well done!
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Are the club issuing paper tickets again for this Thursday's match or are they going on our cards as of course I've still not received my membership card?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

My particular highlight of the game out there were how well the youngsters did, especially Burke, who had to play out of position. I really do think he'll turn out to be something special. So composed and assured just for someone just starting out, same for Oxford. Although we didn't get the likely win, we still enjoyed our first trip out to Romania.

We'll do them in the return leg, no worries.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Colours never run wrote:My particular highlight of the game out there were how well the youngsters did, especially Burke, who had to play out of position. I really do think he'll turn out to be something special. So composed and assured just for someone just starting out, same for Oxford. Although we didn't get the likely win, we still enjoyed our first trip out to Romania.

We'll do them in the return leg, no worries.
I agree entirely about Burke. He seems to have quite the footballing brain, something often referred to by our friends up at Bradford. Although his strengths are at central defence, I have the impression that he could do a job at any position.

Oxford, on the other hand, whilst having loads of potential, had a very poor game. He made a lot of mistakes, poor decisions, and got us into trouble on a number of occasions. It would be good if we could loan him out until January and then reassess. It would be important to find a club where he gets game time and can develop in the way Burke and Cullen did at Bradford.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Instead of thinking about what club in Manchester he could end up at, Oxford should be going out on loan to a league 1 club to learn his trade.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

The Oxford I saw live on Thursday had a good game and had to deal with far more of the ball than Burke, who also played well. I'll also point out that of the fullbacks it was Byram who had most to do and again he played well. I can't understand the griping on this thread about Oxford.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Personally I thought he did okay but got in a muddle a few times etc.

I just think it would do his career good to play week in and out like Burke did last season. He is only 17 but the contract issue is a problem so we might have to treat him a bit different to keep him sweet.