West Ham Utd 1-0 AFC Bournemouth (21/8/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Re: West Ham United v AFC Bournemouth: Match thread

Post by sutts07 »

Anyone else see the little bit of trouble down under the away end exit after?

Didn't look much, but no police or security in sight.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Delighted with the result, not that unhappy with the performance as we were always going to be lightweight upfront and we played some nice stuff at times and got what we deserved.

Good to see a clean sheet because with Payet and Lanzini fit we have goals in us despite the lack of genuine forwards available.

Valencia should not start PL games - he just does not have the presence or intelligence to play up front.

At least Calleri can hold on to the ball.

Bring him on on games we are winning and hopefully he'll score and get a bit of confidence back, but i'm sorry but he just isn't good enough to start.

So glad Slav changed the wingers over in the second half too.

I have to say I was very disappointed in Bournemouth, I was looking forward to an open attacking game, but they were very average.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think we controlled the game for the majority but didn't really create much. Bournemouth had a little spell after half time but were fairly ordinary, but they did create the better chances.

It was a strange game, we lacked our creative players but i think we looked tired and a bit nervous in our first real competitive match at our new stadium. The win was the main thing.
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Iron Mike is the solution to our striker problem , play him more advanced and he will score . Delightful cross from Tore Only just watched the game but we did OK considering our lack of flair players. Better teams than Bournemouth will find us hard to beat and if we can nick wins like that happy days.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

sutts07 wrote:Anyone else see the little bit of trouble down under the away end exit after?

Yeah, theres a coupel of videos of it doing the rounds on FB
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Poor game in terms of quality but not surprising considering we are robbed of pretty much every creative player we have...barring Noble so really important win yesterday.

Thought Byram was very good yesterday and no issue for me if he is our first choice right back moving forward and in general back 4 looked pretty solid. Collins as much as I love him does drive me nuts with his long punts up field especially when they are directed at Valencia who is so lightweight its unreal. If Valencia is in the team has to be balls into the channels for him to use his pace, he doesn't have much else and what was that slow trudge of the pitch all about..FFS.Would start Calleri over Valencia even if he doesn't have the pace he clearly has the footballing brain and very composed when holding the ball up. Looked like he could be decent.
Tore looked ok in spells and did very well for the goal, not sure he should be anywhere near set pieces though! Noble was back to his reliable self and interesting in the post match interview how he had told Antonio to go and be a hero 2 mins before he scored. Good skippering. Koyuate was very good also in spells and his bursting run led to the game changing sending off.

Antonio is got to be one of the most frustrating players if you are a team mate. He was having a bit of mare to be honest (running the ball out of play and miscontrolling simple passes on multiple occasions). However he does bring some unpredictability and physical presence which without Carroll we definitely need in the attacking third and that knack for getting goals is a good one to have - kudos to him for continually trying to get on the ball despite not having a great game.

Plonk Lanzini and Payet back in that side and we will look and play a completely different way so overall can't complain
Porkeyes

Post by Porkeyes »

Not surprised there was some agro yesterday. I must have seen 6 OB all day. At the end when everyone pours across that massive field towards the coaches/ carpenters, that's going to turn into a free for all when playing someone lairy. I just can't see how they're going to police it when certain teams come to town there's just too much space to lock down.
Super_Paolo

Post by Super_Paolo »

Slightly out of place here I know :lol: My nephew left his half n' half scarf on a bench at Stratford Itnl after the game! Gutted as he wanted the keep sake (1st Prem game at the bowl).
Said i'd get him another off eBay thinking they'd be on there - stitched myself right up!
Anyone pick up a freebie per chance?
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

+ clean sheet
+ Masauka looks like a great buy
+ Byram playing RB
+ Nordveit had a good game too
+ extra trains meant I got home within an hour

- Valencia simply not good enough
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

sutts07 wrote:Anyone else see the little bit of trouble down under the away end exit after?

will be mayhem when the bigger boys come to play...i cannot see any way the police can control this...too many ways in and out

was shocked that we would have trouble with bournemouth though....not sure whether they came out giving it the large or what...unexpected
Graza

Post by Graza »

richneal wrote:Genuinely interested what any who were at the game thought of Byram... Thoughts?
I thought he looked OK, more comfortable than when he was stuck out on the left, able to use his natural foot more news all. Generally did everything asked of him, took a booking to stop a break which was professional but could easily have resulted in what happened to them in reverse if someone had got through again. He's young, hasn't got so much experience at this level and IMO looks good enough for now. His center half is going to have to watch out for him a bit but that's part of playing the full backs so high. I would say that barring injury or the signing of someone with more experience he has until January to make that his spot.

The game was poor though and yet again highlights how much we rely on Payet and Lanzini for creativity and spark up top, all very pedestrian. Antonio showed a bit of his play from last year and Tore looks to be getting fitter, but even unfit he can clearly put a ball in.

This was probably the least enjoyable of the 3 game I've watched there, lot of bickering about standing, flat crowd (reflecting the game) and the sun rin my eyes despite the lies of the reservation center chumps. I think a true judgement can't be made until we've had at least a dozen home games though.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

need to add, we were missing 8 potential first team players

take that many out of any team in the premier league and they will struggle bigtime

we still managed to nick the win and keep a clean sheet

....just imagine how good we will be when everyone is fit....
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

A poor game overall. We dominated first half but created very little. They had the better chances overall second half and Adrian kept us in, although they didn't look massively threatening for the most part. Antonio looks far better getting forward, and second half Tore looked decent. I still don't think the midfield works with Nordvelt, Kouyate and Noble in there. One has to be dropped for me.

On the plus side we'll play better than that and lose. Three valuable points given the injuries.
Bryant4114
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bryant4114 »

Have to say I'm underwhelmed by Nordveit. Looks very prone to being caught on the ball or giving it away with a sloppy pass in a really dangerous position near the back four. He did it against Chelsea and then nearly did it a couple of times yesterday.

Not want you want from the guy in front of the back four who's meant to be the safe pair of, er, feet.

Still, hopefully Kouyate can drop back once Payet & Lanzini are both fit again.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

frankiemac wrote:need to add, we were missing 8 potential first team players

take that many out of any team in the premier league and they will struggle bigtime

we still managed to nick the win and keep a clean sheet

....just imagine how good we will be when everyone is fit....
I cannot disagree with any of that
Gep

Post by Gep »

No, but I have to walk past the away end on way to the train station. Did hear a few around me saying that they're going to wait for them to come out :asleep:

As some of our fans walked past signing "Bubbles" a few of the Bournemouth lot were saying "we're gonna smack'em in a minute"

Bit naughty as there were no security around. And the fact there were a load of kids with their parents about. Away fans should be held at least 15min after the game to avoid confrontation.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Regarding Nordveit, I recall my German colleague (who is a Mönchengladbach fan) giving him a rave review earlier in the summer when we signed him. I think we can all see that he will be a strong first teamer once he settles, but I recall my colleague's only negative point being that he often dithers on the ball and gets caught out. We have seen this quite a few times over the last games. If Bilic can address this issue then we will be on to a winner.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Bournemouth fans were mouthing off at women/anyone who walked through or near where they all were. Wouldn't be surprised it there was trouble the way they were behaving towards our fans. Not saying we don't have fans who want a bit of trouble, but plenty of people were just walking through or by with no intention but to get to a seat or exit, and ended up getting abuse from them.

Have to be better security when Tottenham/Chelsea/Man Utd etc come to our stadium.
Sarney10
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Sarney10 »

What a stupid comment.[/quote]

I apologise wholeheartedly for my stupid comment
I will refrain from commenting ever again