ELPO: West Ham Utd 0-1 (agg 1-2) Astra Giurgiu (25/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Astra Giurgiu match thread

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Hammer1972 wrote:Yeah I think so, he did give the defender a little shove before he went past him.
Ah ok, thanks.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Haha people have actually called this pass from Byram to Burke a hospital ball?!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burke has had an absolute weston with that, slow moving ball that he completely misjudges how hard he's going to head it, giving the ball away so Byram gets caught upfield.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Was an unnecessary ball to play at that stage of the game. He had plenty of other options. He also had no reason to larrup it in the air like he did
However, Burke should have dealt with it better
No one covered themselves in glory for that goal - full backs already discussed, Reid and Ogbonna pulled all over the shop by basic movement, Tore putting his feet up, midfield nowhere to be seen, even Randolph made it easy for the players

Only West Ham can play three DMs thus negating creativity, but then have none of them anywhere near the right position when the other team attack

The whole club is shambolic at the moment, on and off the field IMHO (and yes, i am still seriously ****ed off)
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

True, its not a hospital ball but it was not a good pass either... Burke has to run flat out to get to it and keep it in, its head height on the second bounce.... However im sure he would have wanted to have a better first touch.

For all that, have a look at how our players reacted to the ball being turned over... Some of them didn't realise the danger and don't react at all... I dont need to name them because you can see for yourself.... but it was piss poor.....
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

I thought it was a brilliant pass when he played it and still think it now. Burke was in acres of space when he received it, should have had a cuter touch with his head
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Centre Half wrote:I thought it was a brilliant pass when he played it and still think it now. Burke was in acres of space when he received it, should have had a cuter touch with his head
On the contrary I felt Burke worked wonders to keep it in. It had far too much pace on it despite having the right direction.

Nordveit should be given his P45 for his part that followed.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Mistakes happen. We were over the halfway line when we lost possession. How we dealt with that transition - or didn't, more's the point - is why we conceded.
claretchris
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by claretchris »

Centre Half wrote:I thought it was a brilliant pass when he played it and still think it now. Burke was in acres of space when he received it, should have had a cuter touch with his head
Tore was at fault, no doubt about it. Yes Burke could have done better, but the cover should have been in place.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

DDHammer wrote:Haha people have actually called this pass from Byram to Burke a hospital ball?!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burke has had an absolute weston with that, slow moving ball that he completely misjudges how hard he's going to head it, giving the ball away so Byram gets caught upfield.
The giveaway on it being an overhit ball is Burke's run........look at the angle he has to run to keep it in......he would have run a straight line on a good ball.

The true picture - without video image distortion of angles and distance - was worse. Burke was breaking his neck to stop it running out of play.

The goal also looked massive 'live' as the striker ran down on Randolph.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

If he'd just left it and conceded a throw I doubt we'd have conceded, to be honest. We'd have got back and been far more organised against any attack.
Or leapt and controlled with his chest, which would have kept it under control better. Byram's ball was precisely what our players should be doing there (perhaps a little airy, but otherwise) - trying to stretch a team with a nine outfiled players behind the ball.

No way is Byram at fault there. That said, the goal is a result of a number of players not sorting out their roles properly and getting done by simple movement that we should be better at defending against. The good thing is players like Burke are young and will learn from their mistakes. I'm not so sure Reid will ever learn to not track someone running offside.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

What a lovely group we would have had, if only we hadn't ****ed up. Still ****ed off big time, even if we are so naïve beyond belief.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Although yet again we played a hand in their goal, I thought at the time that it was a well taken goal and was concerned the second their player actually looked up and saw what was ahead of him.

A decent finish, which made me wonder how we would have messed it up if it had been the other way round as we surely would have.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

YorksHammer wrote:If he'd just left it and conceded a throw I doubt we'd have conceded, to be honest. We'd have got back and been far more organised against any attack.

Or leapt and controlled with his chest, which would have kept it under control better. Byram's ball was precisely what our players should be doing there (perhaps a little airy, but otherwise) - trying to stretch a team with a nine outfiled players behind the ball.

No way is Byram at fault there. That said, the goal is a result of a number of players not sorting out their roles properly and getting done by simple movement that we should be better at defending against.
Bang on. The beauty of the pass was that it was played in front of Burke, which with a tighter touch would have allowed him to attack the space without checking.

Burke has got way too much on that header
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Only West Ham can play three DMs thus negating creativity, but then have none of them anywhere near the right position when the other team attack

My argument all summer has been playing defensive mid doesn't mean you are a defensive mid. Some would say we have 4, I would argue for all intents and purposes we have zero. What we have are four non-creative central midfielders. Kouyate and Noble have other qualities that make them useful, Obiang and Nordtveit seem ostensibly pointless.

The goal yesterday should be excruciating for Nordtveit to watch back.
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Still Tore, the most culpable for the goal for me, look at the replay from behind our goal, the lazy fecker is still virtually stood on the halfway line, having watched the goalscorer run past him. Byram gort within inches of making a tackle, from 10-15 yards further up the pitch, so Tore should have got to him, if he could be bothered, which clearly he couldn't.

Certainly would not want to stop Byram hitting balls like that, on another day, Burke could have controlled it better and has a good run at the defender
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Before we have another assault on European football, we need to make huge improvements to our defence, sorry to say it, but we will need improvements on Reid and Collins in the centre of our defence, They are good enough for Premiership footie, but not so for Europe. At full back, left side is OK, but not so, at right back, a huge upgrade on Byram there will be essential, in midfield, two holdling midfielders and vast improvements on Nordtveid are imperative. Out wide, we could be OK, but two reliable goal scorers who don't need about 10 chances to convert one will become overnight heroes
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

The last time I felt this dejected about West Ham was during the 06/07 season - in particular the nignt we got beaten by Chesterfield in the league cup. That was another season that started with so much optimism in the wake of Tevez/Mascherano and it so nearly ended in disaster (the 2010/11 season was far worse but I have chosen to wipe that entire campaign from my memory)

Still, after that Chesterfield game we re-grouped and beat Blackburn 2-1 at the Boleyn in one of the best atmospheres I can remember

We all know that supporting West Ham is a series of highs and lows. Last night was extremely hard to take but we will come again - we always do

Keep the faith, COYI :crest:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Darren Randolph's name was spelt 'Randolf' on the screens.

The whole night was a disaster. We have become a joke. :thdn:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

iLoveLasagne wrote:Darren Randolph's name was spelt 'Randolf' on the screens.

The whole night was a disaster. We have become a joke. :thdn:
Have seen Nordvel on there too.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

EastEndIRON wrote: We all know that supporting West Ham is a series of highs and lows. Last night was extremely hard to take but we will come again - we always do
:thup: