Manchester City 3-1 West Ham Utd (28/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Re: Manchester City vs West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Thought calleri looked decent yesterday. Held up the ball well, won the ball in the air and showed some general intelligent play. He's well above valencia in the pecking order.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

It took me a.very long time to accept that Enner was not going to make it. I desperately wanted him to succeed not just for the £12m we paid for him, but because I like the guy. Now I just want him gone for whatever we can get for him.

I don't get though why people are writing off Tore and Calleri. Have we all forgotten how sh*t was Carlos Tevez in the first dozen games he played for us and least said the better about Javier Mascherano?

What concerns me more is thhe apparent lack of a "right-to-buy clause" on Calleri so if he were to prove a sensation we'd probably get outbid. I honestly don't see the point of developing him when Fletcher could be struggling to get minutes.
Olliek92
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Olliek92 »

Thanks to e1hammer for the ticket yesterday, much appreciated.

I thought it was an entertaining game, we were lucky to go in at half-time 2-0 down but deserved a goal back in the second-half. Antonio is turning out to be quite the signing at £7m, must be worth at least £25m now surely?

There were definitely a lot more positives to take away from that performance than the one at Stamford Bridge, onwards and upwards. :crest:
John Simkin
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by John Simkin »

stu1 wrote:Antonio does not have the defensive awareness to play right back. I don't see how that can even be questioned, in fact I don't even see that being questioned by anyone.

Instead I see people arguing that he is playing right back so he can still make our starting 11 when our other attacking players return.

This is madness. You don't play a player right back, who you know can't defend just because he might help you in attack when you've got all your attacking midfielders back.

To set up your team with such an obvious weakness, is quite frankly ridiculous and it's costing us points every week.
An excellent assessment of the situation. The problem is that Slaven Bilić, like most managers, finds it difficult to accept he is wrong. We are already seeing this in his determination to fit Gökhan Töre into the team. Antonio should have been in Töre's position from the start. It was his second-half performance that got him his place in the England squad. I bet Sam does not play him as an overlapping full-back.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Faubert's Boot wrote:Thought calleri looked decent yesterday. Held up the ball well, won the ball in the air and showed some general intelligent play. He's well above valencia in the pecking order.
Agreed I think he is potentially a good intelligent footballer, finishing is a bit missing but I think he may look better on the wing or behind the striker, as you said he is far better than Valencia
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

The Man City forums are buzzing about how well they played first half. I suppose that's some perspective, we tend to look at us & blame ourselves for poor performances but in this case it might just be that the other team who have superior players anyway just put in a great performance.

They will turn over a lot of teams with big scores this season.
traxop

Post by traxop »

Morocco Mole wrote:
Yeah but the untried foreign guff keep the ball better apparantly..... :P
I think you will find the stats back this up. Antonio has a career passing-success rate of around 65% compared to Lanzini's and Payet's 80+%(I think Lanzini topped the league last season with 88%). More than 30% of Antonio's passes don't find their mark which is at best unproductive, at worst a turnover in a bad position.

When it comes to dispossession and ball control error rates, Antonio is averaging a crazy 5+ possessional/ball-control errors per game. Bare in mind that these are absolute numbers, Ozil averages around 3.5 such errors but we have to look at it in the context that the game will always be played through the likes of Ozil and Payet(playmakers will naturally have a larger number of possessions).

If we compare Antonio to his English contemporaries, Waltcott has a passing accuracy of 80% and control error average of 2.5. Barkley - long called out for losing possession too readily - has a passing accuracy of 85% and control error average of 3.

No one is denying that Antonio doesn't have an offensive impact for us but one glaring weakness fans harp on about every match day is the we don't keep possession of the ball well enough, this then leads to the usual accusations that our mids and wings are not tracking back and not providing cover for our back four, which leads to finger-pointing that our back four are crap for not keeping enough clean sheets.

Simple fact is that you aren't going to be doing much without your share of meaningful possession. This City game just highlights what happens when you concede possession to a top side that can make use of it.

I can see why Bilic has bought in all these technical players on the wings and down the spine. There is absolutely no point in having a Rolls Royce in Payet if we spend half our time tracking back trying recover the ball. I rather have Cresswell using his energy making overlapping runs then having him sprint back to stop another counter.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I take your point traxop but it seems a little unkind to pick Antonio's weakest facet and to compare that weakness to two top English players who could count technique among their strengths - certainly Barkley could anyway.

We paid £7m for him last year. What would Everton and Arsenal have been looking for to part with either of those two?

We might now be able to replace him with a ball retaining wideman (such is MA's increase in value) but would he offer the same goalthreat .... a tough assignment for Mr. Tony methinks. It might be said we've already done so but it'll be a while before we see Ayew (hope and pray he recovers a whole lot better than Hitzelsperger) and I doubt Feghouli or Tore can compete with Michail's goal contribution.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Is the oppo view on the homepage indicative of their posters regarding the game?

If so the what a bunch of pricks.

We have a makeshift 11 with Enner on the pitch and with fight in the second half could have snatched a draw.

To suggest this is the football we 'have to put up with' is a nonsense, Billy big bollox statement that used to be reserved for the other clubs that bought success.

It's no surprise the Blue Mancs think Aguero's **** doesn't stink either.
MrMum

Post by MrMum »

Danny Murphy on MOTD2 and Talks***t saying Aguronstruck Winston with his "wrist" .............
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I was playing cricket yesterday so I've only just been able to watch the game. So my thoughts.

1st half, tempo too slow and a number of players missing. 2nd goal was a disgrace to concede.

2nd half much better, we were pressing and moving it a lot quicker. One major thing (again) was Antonio being on the wing and offering us an outlet from the back. Great to see Lanzini back on the pitch too. The 3rd Man City goal was coming in the final stages after we were committing players forward.

The main thing I took from the game was how inconsistent the refereeing was. I'm not saying the result was down to this though. Before I go into what I thought went against us, I will say I think Masuaku probably should've got a 2nd yellow on maybe 2 occasions. There were 2 big incidents which went against us, the shirt pull on Antonio off the corner - we see them given one week with the new rules but not another. Then there was the Aguero elbow, how the ref doesn't give a foul let alone a red card as it should've been is beyond me when he is five yards away looking right at it. Fletcher picks up a yellow (probably rightly) when he was late on Willy, but again it shows how Costa should've gone against us a couple of weeks ago. There were a number of little fouls which went for City, but not for us when the other way round. Then finally, yellows for dissent, fine I agree with it, but how did Noble get booked, whilst Nolito/Silva/Aguero/Ottamendi who all showed clearer dissent (some on multiple occasions) not pick up a card. If the FA still want referee's to be respected then they need to get more consistent.

Not many teams will get anything from there this season. The international break will do us a world of good to get players fit. Let's steamroll Watford and get the season going in style! For any doom and gloom merchants, we are at the same position we were the last 2 seasons, having played 2 teams who've won all 3 of their opening 3 games.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

MrMum wrote:Danny Murphy on MOTD2 and Talks***t saying Aguronstruck Winston with his "wrist" .............
I liked Murphy when he started but now generally talks crap, defends the big teams mostly.

On the game: We were played off the park first half and the team seemed afraid. However look at the players they had, all class. We need players back, it's that simple. Once back not many teams will beat us.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Mega Ron wrote:Is the oppo view on the homepage indicative of their posters regarding the game?
If so the what a bunch of pricks.
To suggest this is the football we 'have to put up with' is a nonsense, Billy big bollox statement that used to be reserved for the other clubs that bought success.
Just read through that and I'm a little surprised by most of it, I thought their fans to be a little better than that, although a Citeh supporting neighbour of mine is slowly turning into a tosspot with each passing season of their wealth.
" I see West Ham are spending big money on average players" he chortled,
'Your Arabs have ****ed the job up for the rest of us' I replied, conveniently forgetting that Russian twot
Headbanger

I resisted the temptation to punch him until I can find an alternative and equally convenient chiropodist
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

Murphy is the offspring of the two most dour "pundits" on BBC, Shearer and Lawro.

So difficult listening to them.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Blotted their copybook a bit with the Aguero stuff since Sunday. Very few City fans anywhere seem to think Aguero did anything wrong full stop, let alone deserves a ban. The OV is pretty representative in that sense.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

The oppo views normally water off a ducks back to me but have the Arabs been recruiting bellends into their support to fit in with the other big clubs? Comparing Silva (26mln in 2010) to Noble (walking to Boleyn with boot bag) is from someone who just doesn't get it. Sadly success brings clingons. You can't have one without the other.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Great weekend away in Manchester despite the result. Enough has been said about the game, any team would have gone in at half time against that City performance either a goal or two down, it could even have been three if De Bruyne had buried his chance. They tore us a new one but we were making it easy for them. Much better second half, we ran a lot harder, picked up more second balls, got stuck in a bit more and it was promising, but we can't afford to do that for only 45 minutes in this league against anyone!

Had a few beers in Yates Printworks before realising I had left our tickets in the hotel (knob) so had to leave an hour and a half or so before KO, got tickets and went straight to the ground. Asked a few stewards where the Marc Vivien-Foe memorial was but none of them had a clue so just went in to the concourse and got a few more beers, good ol' sing-song and the atmosphere was quality. It was my missus' first away game and she loved it, even getting soaked by a stray pint didn't put her off!

Thought it was interesting how they have narrowed the away end at City as they've added that top tier. Thought their atmosphere wasn't too bad, nice to see them having a bit of banter with us and it got a bit heated at times. Atmosphere in our end was a bit flat first half and lots of dejected faces at half time, but this is expected when you're 2-0 after 18 minutes and being comprehensively battered! The goal was completely unexpected and picked everyone up, from then until the last 90 we were back to being the noisy lot we always have been. Shame we couldn't nick a point but overall we didn't deserve to! Good luck to City for the rest of the season, rather them than Chelsea or the red mancs win it.

Top weekend all round. Onwards and upwards, nice little break now, hopefully Antonio gets a run out for England and then we go again at home against Watford with a run of games that we should be targeting!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

A frustrating game to watch.

I can see what Bilic was trying with his tactics, and in fairness it might well have been the right call but either we didn't have the right personnel fit for it or else the players just didn't perform. For all of the nice tappy tappy football Man City played in the first half, both of their goals came from what can only be described as abjectly woeful defending - by our midfield.

The first goal, Silva takes out all FOUR of our midfielders with a change of direction and a short burst of pace. Enner moves out of position to chase him even though he's left in his wake, Noble and Kouyate get caught behind him and then just stroll back, and Tore just stands and watches. To make matters worst Sterling then JOGS about 40 yards to the penalty spot where he has the space to sidefoot the ball into the net.

The second was a basic noone was marking him and Kouyate seemed to be marking himself.

The second half was much better. Tore at least seems to be steadily improving with each game. Antonio looks sharp, both full backs looked decent in spite of the players they were up against, and Callieri and Fletcher both look like good players that are not quite the finished article.

On another day we might have snatched a draw, which is remarkable given the team we put out.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Aguero charged over elbow

Not that it helps us