West Ham Utd 2-4 Watford (10/09/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Canadianhammer

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Canadianhammer »

Call it what you like, I call it losing.
I enjoyed Payets cross as much as the Next guy. I was simply pointing out that lets get the basics down before we taunt teams like that only to be a disaster in defence and implode. Where did our showboating get us? We made ourselves to be a laughing stock.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I know the press has latched on to Payet's rabona as the supposed piss taking but I've always thought it was Lanzini's rabona shot from outside the box trickled wide that took the piss. Should've struck it with his left foot and made the keeper work.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Canadianhammer wrote:Where did our showboating get us? We made ourselves to be a laughing stock.

That wasn't down to the showboating (which any other team takes part in if they have the ability), that was down to poor defending, management and concentration, not because a couple of players tried something out of the ordinary. One which came close to a goal and another that did lead to a goal. So it wasn't even for the sake of doing it, they did it with purpose. Certainly no one was complaining about the skill way before the 41st minute when it all suddenly went to ****.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

HammerMan2004 wrote:I know the press has latched on to Payet's rabona as the supposed piss taking but I've always thought it was Lanzini's rabona shot from outside the box trickled wide that took the piss. Should've struck it with his left foot and made the keeper work.

But like Payets cross (which still required Antonio to make the right run and head it in), had Lanzinis goal gone in, we would all (including neutral football loving fans) be gushing over such an amazing goal scored.

On top of that, Adrian made the point in a recent interview saying Lanzini felt more natural to take the shot with his stronger right foot (I've rarely seen him take a shot with his left) as the ball was travelling away from his body to the left. It also aided the element of surprise which looked like it was going to catch the Keeper off guard.

And I hope he (and others) try it again sometime soon and doesn't lose that imagination and confidence to give it a go. It's what I pay good money to hope to see.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Jimmy Kebe sock pulling up.....yeah that's taking the piss.

If players want to do kick ups, rabonas, etc with the ball I'm all for it even if we're on the receiving end.
Colours never run

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Interesting snippet from the club site

I interviewed Adrian on Monday at the Club's training ground and asked him about the second goal following the mix-up with James Collins.

He said there was a call and they did everything right, but the communication got lost with the crowd noise.

Something else to blame on the fans.. Sorry but that's a bull**** excuse I'm definitely not buying. I was at that end of the ground and remember distinctly the crowd going nervously quiet enough to hear any call that could have been made. The pair of them ****ed up spectacularly without anybody else's help. Plus they're used to playing in noisy atmospheres anyway and manage to cope.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

Call me a little naive but when I saw the Payet rabona back after the game I genuinely thought he'd done it not just for showboating reasons. He cuts down the wing and the defender stops him crossing naturally with his right. So he then pulls it back from the byline and as it drifts across to his left side, rather than try and cross it with his weaker left foot, he rabonas it with his natural right foot. Obviously he's got the audacity to try it where as many players wouldn't, but because he's got that in his locker...then why not? Certainly did the job.

I have to admit though, the Lanzini one for me was a tad stranger to try from where he was.
Colours never run

Yep, it's the same thing people used to dig Osullivan out for in Snooker when he used to play left handed. Some players and fans initially thought he was just taking the right piss doing it but in actual fact it turned out he felt just as natural to play shots more natural for a left hander, than it was to technically use a rest. Same rules apply here, it just happens to looks flash as f*** doing it and so what?

If we never had players try things out of the ordinary, we would never get goals like this either, which by rights Di Canio should have made sure of taking the ball down before passing to someone in a better position, but then that wouldn't have any guarantee of working either, so why not try something instinctively if you think you have the ability to do it and like both players proved on Sat, they have it....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Canadianhammer wrote:Call it what you like, I call it losing.
I enjoyed Payets cross as much as the Next guy. I was simply pointing out that lets get the basics down before we taunt teams like that only to be a disaster in defence and implode. Where did our showboating get us? We made ourselves to be a laughing stock.
we were doing just fine when we were "showboating", weren't we?
two nil up, roaring crowd, big grins on our faces and semis in our pants.

but you're right, we should prevent lanzini and payet being technically superior to our opponents until we get a couple of clean sheets. maybe keep them out altogether. i wonder what ilan and boa morte are doing at the moment?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

scoring the goals that we did should have been infinitely more difficult than keeping the goals out that we conceded.

such is west ham.
Colours never run

Beavis Danzig wrote:scoring the goals that we did should have been infinitely more difficult than keeping the goals out that we conceded.

such is west ham.

Yep and unfortunately for my main man Bilic, it's a continuation from last season. It's simple basic individual errors that keep shooting us in the foot. We don't seem to be learning as a team about the errors we really shouldn't be making. If we could come most of them out, then we truly would be a hell of a team as Leciester and Spurs proved by doing all the basics right and limiting errors amongst their ranks.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I've never understood the whole disrespecting thing when it comes to showboating.

If you can do kick ups or pull your socks up or whatever and the opponent can't take the ball off you, why do they deserve respect? Want respect? Take the ball off the guy showboating and use it to your team's advantage. Throwing a hissy fit and crying about hurt feelings won't get you any respect from me.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

The rabona's were class and we weren't mugging anyone off with them, we mugged ourselves off with poor defending. Troy Deeney saying we were mugging them off is rubbish, I'm gutted we allowed them back into the game and ending up presenting Deeney with the perfect opportunity to try and make out that our technically superior players (Lanzini and Payet) were showboating.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

noticed they had their last training session at the OS instead of rush green.

slav's way of getting them to adapt?