West Brom 4-2 West Ham Utd (17/09/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Re: The West Brom V West Ham Match Thread

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Gep
I make you right. 4-4-2 is the way to go, and if means we can't paly all our superstars at the same time, tough.

We are not a good side, we are not a great side in waiting, we are at best at this present time a very poor side. I would go so far as to say were are not even a team.

People in teams work for each other, individuals get nowhere unless the team does well. At this moment we are a team of individuals all trying to showcase what they can, irrespective of the result. There seems to be no unity, no leadership on the pitch.
We were ok for at the most 20 minutes yesterday and that co-incided with Nobes being withdrawn,
This will probably be where I get pelters but who cares it's just my thoughts, against Stanley give the armband to the most experienced player in the side, hopefully that's Arbeloa, have him screaming at the back four get them organised.
A player like him has seen it all and done it all, let him transfer that to on the pitch, if he plays well then leave him as skipper.
We might then see the Mark Noble we knew come back with something to prove. Against Watfoed and WBA we showed what a car crash of a team we really are at this moment, what caused the car crash we will never know. I think the diddy man Sullivan has something to do with, because it's not just a couple of players it's Slav as well, maybe Sully gave it the big en about stars being signed or Europe is our destiny who knows this goes deeper than just the manager and players.

Still on to Stanley a team that went out of league and fought their way back, with a fair fanbase, lets be up and at them from the start.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

We have a lot of good individuals going forward but Bilic is playing them without the thought of the balance of the team.

Maybe a way we can go forward if he wants to continue using these same players is actually using Antonio as our lone striker? The lads scoring and was often lumped up top for Forest when they needed to get goals, this will also free up Payet--Lanzini--Feghouli to play behind him rather than trying to fit all 4 behind a striker.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

rsnwhu wrote:Masuaka was appalng. He is one of the worst players I have seen wearing the claret and blue. Send him back to Olympiakos where they get away with that lazy ****. Six million quid plus wages...you are seriously having a laugh. :thdn:
Idiot. He's been our best player for the 4 previous games
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

woodywoody wrote:And to top my weekend off, Tompkins scores-
Just to make your weekend even worse, Tomkins scored for Palace today as well.
Gep

Post by Gep »

Why am I hearing all this Masuaku is the worst player this & that for??! When he's recently been the best out of a bad bunch. We lost again, so be it. What can we do apart from move on..........again
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

think only one bloke said that and i'm going to assume he's just got back from his holiday to the moon.
Muligatawnitoop

Post by Muligatawnitoop »

Looking at how we played last year and the difference this year is evident in the way we are playing away from home. We know, so you would hope the club know, too that it is going to take a while for us to get used to OS.

Last year we played very tightly and then played to catch teams on the break. It was that that got us results at Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City. Payet was sensational and was new to the league. Truth is we probably caught a few teams out. This year we seem to think that because we have Payet, we have to throw everything forward and try to out play and out pass the opposition. No one can convince me that we didn't take Watford lightly, and e left ourselves badly exposed today by adopting the same Gun Ho approach.

I think we have to act quickly and decisively and forgo one of our attacking players to play a more defensive game for the next two matches to get the points total ticking over. Make other teams beat us instead of throwing matches away by being too attacking. Is it solvable? Yes, of course, but we need a mor defensive set up to calm us down for a it. I would play Kouyate and Oxford in the midfield and give Noble a rest, I would also play Obiang instead of Lanzini. We can always go to a more attacking formation if we need to at some time in the game. I know we all like attacking football, but I'd take a boring 0-0 right now against Southampton instead of another 1-2 defeat having been done on the break again.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

61dicksey wrote:now 3-1 , yes they have some players who gve 100% every game Deeney being one of the , wish we had a big bruiser of a forward who never loses the cause.

We do, Andy Carroll. We've sorely missed him, just ask old Juve how they felt going up against him.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I thought we were very unlucky...and that WBA were cack. They are going down

Funny eh.

We lack pace...and a striker. Slav and Julian will sort the defence...and the shape.

No worrying here
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Palace are this years dark horses, they are doing exactly what we done at the beginning of last season, they are looking a very good side. What the f*** has happened.
Last edited by Rasp on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Romford wrote:I thought we were very unlucky...and that WBA were cack. They are going down
I'm not so sure they'll go down but they will be close.

That's definately the only game in which they will score 4 this season though. They had only scored 2 in 4 games until the ever generous West Ham turned up!
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Romford wrote:I thought we were very unlucky...and that WBA were cack. They are going down

Funny eh.

We lack pace...and a striker. Slav and Julian will sort the defence...and the shape.

No worrying here
****ing amen to that

I thought we were very good in the 2nd half

we'll be fine
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Rasp wrote:Palace are this years dark horses, they are doing exactly what we done at the beginning of last season, they are looking a very good side. What the **** has happened.
Didn't they do the same last season and then bottled it after Xmas? I'm pretty sure they were up there with us for the start of the season
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Funny eh.

No worrying here
Nice to hear some positivity :thup:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I'm one of those miserable buggers who believes there's no such thing as luck, lucky or unlucky.

The nearest thing to luck in reality is opportunity meeting preparation. 'Unlucky' is one of the components not being present, not being prepared when the opportunity arises. Some would say Payet was unlucky when his free kick hit the post, I'd say he missed the target pure and simple.

Relying on a change of luck is missing the real problem, not being prepared to take advantage of the opportunities as they occur.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I'm one of those miserable buggers who believes there's no such thing as luck, lucky or unlucky.

The nearest thing to luck in reality is opportunity meeting preparation. 'Unlucky' is one of the components not being present, not being prepared when the opportunity arises. Some would say Payet was unlucky when his free kick hit the post, I'd say he missed the target pure and simple.

Relying on a change of luck is missing the real problem, not being prepared to take advantage of the opportunities as they occur.
How many times you been to games and come out and thought..."we were lucky there"

I said it after Bournemouth at home for starters.

How we were 3-0 down at half time yesterday was the wierdest experience...and in the end i cannot remember Adrain having one save to make.

To do that and lose 4-2 says something IMHO
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I'm one of those miserable buggers who believes there's no such thing as luck, lucky or unlucky.

Although I agree with the sentiment you prepare to take into account luck/unluckiness and it only goes so far before it's just the same continual mistakes made, I do draw the line on things like the Payet free kick, which was a millimetre away from being perfect. If we don't value that precision, then we don't value efforts when he just sneaks it into the top corner vs Palace. On top of that, the level of quality they're facing week in, week out, it leaves little room to be sure. I.e. Take Pickfords wonder save vs Spurs today, it needed to be millimetre perfect for Lamela to score that goal and it was extremely close of going in but for the slightest of finger rolls. On that basis, I can't fault Payets attempt and do deem his effort as unlucky.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I've come away thinking we didn't deserve to win on the balance of play, but we took our chances and they didn't.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Why go 4-0 down in the first place ?
Horsham

Post by Horsham »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:Why go 4-0 down in the first place ?
Exactly.

You can't be that unlucky to concede 4 goals against a side that can't score for toffee.

We lost because our defence was abysmal not because of bad luck. Simples.