West Brom 4-2 West Ham Utd (17/09/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: The West Brom V West Ham Match Thread

Post by Billydinho »

bspur1 wrote:where are all the Results don't matter to me , id rather loose 5-4 than watch win 1-0 posters?

They should be in their element and loving the opening of the season
I'm here and I've already posted along those lines.

Watching WBA yesterday reminded me of the dark days of Allardyce. Time wasting when 4-0 up, going to the corner flag when 4-2 up.

That ain't football.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Nope. The issue is that we are not defending as a team. The oppos midfielders and full backs can wander forward at will. .
I'll never forget the effort everyone put in last season during the Arsenal and Man City Away games , the defending was heroic .
It seems this season we have forgotten how to play as a team - one goal that stands out was the Antonio goal at home to Liverpool - he tackled their winger as a full back , 30 seconds later he scores as a forward . We now play Feghouli or that dud Tore as our right winger and stick Antonio at either right back or left wing and while everyone is up there trying to answer the front door , our back door is left open to burglars .
Slaven Bilic needs to instill discipline in our midfielders and he has to realise there's only room for so many ' luxury players ' per game , he has to decide which formation suits this squad of players best at home and which away from home - there should be no favourites , just a proper team .
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Hard to really get my head around that game. Reminded me of that bit in Indiana Jones when the bloke pulls out his sword and does a load of tricks, so indy just pulls out a revolver and shoots him.

The support was something else. More noise than their lot even when 4-0 down. Not one point in that match where I'd have rather been supporting West Brom.
since86

Post by since86 »

Confidence is a massive aspect of all sport. You have a to have confidence in the system and what you are trying to do for a team, any team, to perform highly. We have virtually the same players as last season, yet they are showing none of the spirit or organisation that we had for so much of last season. What has gone on? Only the staff and players will know for sure. Remember that run of 0-0s last year? That for me was a highlight of the season as we showed such fight that made me feel we had a real foundation when the payets, the lanzinis etc did return. The big concern is Bilic isn't able to raise the team at the moment or instil that fight or spirit that lifts teams like Leicester or indeed Everton, teams that I still believe we should be battling with despite the shocking start. I do still believe he is the right man for the job.

Undoubtedly individual errors are killing us, but you do defend, and attack as a team. I'm a positive person by nature, so on the plus side we are still scoring well: two goals away from home should get you a result and we continue to make chances. Slow starts to matches were a problem last year too, but all we need is a couple of 1-0s to bring us back. This is fixable. To do it, I reckon we might have to drop Lanzini, put some more steel in midfield (Obiang?) and give Zaza and partner, Fletcher for me.

God please let the Accrington Stanley game go well. I hope he puts out a strong team and we put them away properly.
shakawakahislop
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by shakawakahislop »

Just watched the highlights,

That is worse than any defending I have EVER seen PERIOD

Drop all of the back 5 (including Adrian) their is no faith in the back
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

Reading the Pulis thread on the West Brom forum is like reading a copy of our Allardyce thread.

As Beavis says above, at no point yesterday did I envy West Brom.
Gep

Post by Gep »

I'd easily play with a 4-4-2 formation just to get us back on our feet. Win ugly whatever it takes to get points on the board.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Billydinho wrote:That ain't football.
8 conceded goals in 180 minutes. I'd love it if we were in the position to run the clock down, and would embrace a bit of fair timewasting. The flicks and fancy passes are great if we're winning, but we need to get our priorities sorted otherwise there's gonna be a lot more long grumpy trips home this season.
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

I'd be grumpier coming home after watching us touch the ball once every 4 minutes...
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Watford are the new US this season, beatng Man Utd with 6 mins to go, seem to be getting that bit of luck we have not.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

One thing Watford have is a very balanced side. Everyone knows exactly what they are doing. They are very well drilled.
Plus they have some very good players
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

now 3-1 , yes they have some players who gve 100% every game Deeney being one of the , wish we had a big bruiser of a forward who never loses the cause.
getback

Post by getback »

I'll never forget the effort everyone put in last season during the Arsenal and Man City Away games , the defending was heroic .
It seems this season we have forgotten how to play as a team - one goal that stands out was the Antonio goal at home to Liverpool - he tackled their winger as a full back , 30 seconds later he scores as a forward . We now play Feghouli or that dud Tore as our right winger and stick Antonio at either right back or left wing and while everyone is up there trying to answer the front door , our back door is left open to burglars .
Slaven Bilic needs to instill discipline in our midfielders and he has to realise there's only room for so many ' luxury players ' per game , he has to decide which formation suits this squad of players best at home and which away from home - there should be no favourites , just a proper team .[/quote]

Spot on.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

I keep watching Masuaka's handball, trying to imagine what the hell he was thinking. Sadly the best I can come up with is that as he wants to emulate Larry Blackmon with that Barnet, he was singing a bit of Word Up to himself as that ball came over
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Who cares about Watford. We got stuffed and let in four goals again. It just goes to highlight how fa we have fallen....we were the ones rolling over the top teams last season....now we are a shambles.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Masuaka was appalng. He is one of the worst players I have seen wearing the claret and blue. Send him back to Olympiakos where they get away with that lazy ****. Six million quid plus wages...you are seriously having a laugh. :thdn:
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

rsnwhu wrote:Masuaka was appalng. He is one of the worst players I have seen wearing the claret and blue. Send him back to Olympiakos where they get away with that lazy ****. Six million quid plus wages...you are seriously having a laugh. :thdn:
He was atrocious yesterday...but he's been perfectly adequate in his other matches compared to the rest of the keystone cops at the back.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

And to top my weekend off, Tompkins scores-
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

The morning after. Ouch! What a painful week supporting this club. Trying to look at things positively I still think we played some good stuff in that second half. And first half against Watford. We just need to sort the bloody defence out and maybe give Randolph a chance in goal. Yesterday felt like the World had ended (yes I am that sad when it comes to West Ham!) but there was some good link-up play in that second half when I think about it.

Come on you irons. Let's stop the rot early before it gets serious.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

rsnwhu wrote:Masuaka was appalng. He is one of the worst players I have seen wearing the claret and blue. Send him back to Olympiakos where they get away with that lazy ****. Six million quid plus wages...you are seriously having a laugh. :thdn:

Weird because up until yesterday a lot of our fans were saying he has been decent and that Cresswell would find it hard to get back into the team.

He had an unbelievable shocker yesterday but so have many others, it happens, apart from yesterday he has looked very good.