EFLC2: West Ham Utd 1-0 Accrington Stanley (21/09/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Accrington Stanley: match thread

Post by fjthegrey »

I was there. It was lacklustre, but it wasn't half hearted. Our players did try and gave it go. Just a distinct lack of confidence around the place in my opinion.

I think both our strikers will be OK. They need an Antonio/Carlton off the arse and in goal to get off the mark. You can see it looks like a weight on their shoulders. They snatch at chances and scuff them, but they get the chances. The movement isn't bad and they keep plugging away. Goals will come.

The player I am most concerned about is Tore, for several reasons. Firstly, this is the bloke Bilic was desperate to sign. This is his golden egg player. He's got nothing. He gives the ball away relentlessly and against top level sides, the opportunity of a counter. I'd not be playing him again unless we get injuries.

Everyone else was OK. Masuaku absolutely dominated his winger, the bloke didn't have a sniff. Arbeloa was alright, clearly hasn't played for a while and got caught up the pitch once or twice. Obiang was his usual 6/10, never seen him better or worse than that. Good squad player. Edmilson was annoyingly moved out wide to no effect at all for the second half, but he had a decent enough first. Nordtveit is not a centre back, he doesn't win headers.

Accrington are an alright team. They pass the ball nicely and are probably a good team at their level. One of their centre backs was physically a brute. So fast and strong. Really didn't look a league 2 player to me. The rest of them did, but they were more than the sum of their parts. Fair play to them. If they're playing anyone round my way I'd probably go and watch them after yesterday. Don't get many teams down there who actually want to pass the ball like they did.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Agree with every word of that, FJ.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Christ, I was so relieved when I didn't have to endure another half hour of that. Credit to Stanley, they put up a good show and with a bit more quality would probably have taken at least one of their chances. Their left winger picked up the ball in acres of space on a couple of occasions and Arbeloa (or anyone) was nowhere near him. I don't like to criticize someone making his debut but I'm not filled with confidence.

Here's hoping Arthur is ok. He's been one of our better signings (apart from his moment of madness last Saturday),

A few weeks ago I posted that if I were Slav I'd be telling Oxford that he will get plenty of games if, and only if, he signs that new contract. For all those of you whinging about his not playing last night, what is the point of developing him for the benefit of Man U or whoever, if he is just going to walk away when his contract is up. Sign or stagnate, mate !
Andy.C

Post by Andy.C »

No British players in the starting 11, is this a first ?
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Surely Bilic has waved goodbye to Oxford after not selecting him last night. Oxford must feel royally p1ssed off this morning to have been left out in favour of a midfielder playing in his spot.

Zero chance of him staying now I would have thought.

Have to say I'm disappointed that Bilic fielded a team with no Englishmen in it last night.
rciron
Has liked: 298 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

swash wrote:Surely Bilic has waved goodbye to Oxford after not selecting him last night. Oxford must feel royally p1ssed off this morning to have been left out in favour of a midfielder playing in his spot.

Zero chance of him staying now I would have thought.

Have to say I'm disappointed that Bilic fielded a team with no Englishmen in it last night.
This :thup:
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Anyone considered that Oxford didn't play because he's expressed he's already leaving?

Rather than Bilic pissing him off, Oxford and his agent have pissed the club off?

No? Just easier to out the manager right? Thought so.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Andy.C wrote:No British players in the starting 11, is this a first ?
Not sure for West Ham but it is something that has been coming for a while. In the Premier League generally we've been overwhelmed with too many foreign players and managers and from what I've seen a lot of very average foreign players are being paid fortunes to play in this country. Its not even 50-50 these days.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

fjthegrey wrote:Anyone considered that Oxford didn't play because he's expressed he's already leaving?

Rather than Bilic pissing him off, Oxford and his agent have pissed the club off?

No? Just easier to out the manager right? Thought so.
If that is the case, fair enough, but unless you have some insider knowledge, I guess you are just speculating as well.

On the basis of what is actually in the public domain, a lot of fans went to last night's game hoping to see Oxford play and were very disappointed that he was left out.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I was surprised not to see Oxford, but maybe he's being prepped for a game against Southampton instead? Just speculating, of course.
FortuneZ

Post by FortuneZ »

Oxford was not played as he will be played on Sunday. I bet any money. Stop jumping to conclusions that he is leaving.

The same could also be said for Fletcher to be honest.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote:I was there. It was lacklustre, but it wasn't half hearted. Our players did try and gave it go. Just a distinct lack of confidence around the place in my opinion.

I think both our strikers will be OK. They need an Antonio/Carlton off the arse and in goal to get off the mark. You can see it looks like a weight on their shoulders. They snatch at chances and scuff them, but they get the chances. The movement isn't bad and they keep plugging away. Goals will come.
This 2nd paragraph is very important . I think back to the last minute of the Bournemouth game and Calleri missed that one on one. If he had scored that he may have gone into the Astra game full of confidence and then who knows how things woukd have panned out. So many strikers succeed or fail based on how they fare in first couple of games. I doubt Antono would have been as successful as he had been if he hadn't scored that goal of his face against Southampton.
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

I just noticed that the Acca player with the bandaged head starting clapping when Payet's free kick went in.

Fair play, I thought their manager was very respectful in his comments without just kissing arse. They are a decent team at that level.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Feghouli is the one with the best reputation and pedigree by all accounts.

The Moose was almost apoleptic about Tore, Calleri and Zaza on TS this morning. Slammed each of them good and proper.

Happiest person at the club is probably Sakho right now.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Westbourne Bill wrote: The Moose was almost apoleptic about Tore, Calleri and Zaza on TS this morning. Slammed each of them good and proper.

To be fair, he is a know-nothing idiot.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

derek zoolander wrote:I just noticed that the Acca player with the bandaged head starting clapping when Payet's free kick went in.

Fair play, I thought their manager was very respectful in his comments without just kissing arse. They are a decent team at that level.
MOTM by a distance I thought.

When he applauded it reminded me of Petar Borota when Brooking scored a blinder.
Redkanpps dog

Post by Redkanpps dog »

Did he applaud the free kick or was he clapping his hands to try and rally his team mates who just conceded a last minute goal to knock them out of the cup?
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

I think he, like all of us, was just glad that the tedious ****ing game was over.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1773 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Those 600 Stanley fans were better than Watford and Bournemouth...
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Redkanpps dog wrote:Did he applaud the free kick or was he clapping his hands to try and rally his team mates who just conceded a last minute goal to knock them out of the cup?
Definitely applauded the free kick.

Most of our supporters would probably lose their **** if one of ours done that to another teams player but personally I think sometimes you just have to respect quality. The quality of our subs yesterday was really apparent.

I honestly think that our starting 11 is only a few players away from being a good team. Unfortunately we've bought some shockers who have started early in the season, that won't continue.

Our squad is worryingly lacking in depth though.