EFLC2: West Ham Utd 1-0 Accrington Stanley (21/09/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Accrington Stanley: match thread

Post by The Sherriff »

Andy.C wrote:No British players in the starting 11, is this a first ?
Another bit of west ham died last night.

As with Tomkins, we’re in danger of alienating young Oxford.

I had hoped that Slav would have been mindful of our heritage and youth, I’m distinctly uncomfortable with the fact that we didn’t have a single Englishmen in the starting 11.

I’ve crucified the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal doing so in the past, at the expense of English football. Sad state of affairs.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

The Sherriff wrote:
As with Tomkins, we’re in danger of alienating young Oxford.
I'm not the slightest bit bothered. He should stay rooted to the bench till he signs a new contract.

Show the club he is committed to us then he'll get games. If he wants to play silly buggers and have the best of both worlds, get games while waiting for ManU he can do one.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

kalashnikov wrote: I'm not the slightest bit bothered. He should stay rooted to the bench till he signs a new contract.
Wasn't he unable to sign a contract due to his age until a certain point?
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

wizzo_66 wrote:
Wasn't he unable to sign a contract due to his age until a certain point?
Hmm fair point.

My understanding is there is nothing to stop him signing an agreement for a permanent contract to take effect on his 18th. Maybe someone else can chip in if they know more.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

It wasn't a great performance by any means, but it wasn't disastrous either. It was just clear to see we were short of confidence, passes were not quite sticking.

I do think some fans need to be a patient though, there seems to be a bit of tension around the place. About 7 minutes in yesterday and people around me were getting frustrated because of misplaced passes, one guy shouting at Nordveidt because he let an awkward ball roll back to the keeper rather than attempt to control it and put himself in trouble :lol:

I think it was a big win yesterday, no matter the opposition and level they are at, we were short of confidence and it had potential banana skin written all over it. it was just good to get the win in the end. I did feel sorry for Accrington though, they battled well and it was a very harsh way for them to go out.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

We got a win and kept a clean sheet. Payet found his range again. Onward and upwards. COYI
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

fjthegrey wrote:Anyone considered that Oxford didn't play because he's expressed he's already leaving?

Rather than Bilic pissing him off, Oxford and his agent have pissed the club off?

No? Just easier to out the manager right? Thought so.
I probably would consider that if there was any truth in it. If that was the case why pick him for the squad at all?

I don't want Bilic to go, no way, and up until last night every thing he's done, good and bad, I've accepted and understood that his job is not easy, but for the first time since he's been here I could see no logic in one of his decisions, playing an average central midfielder at centre half against a League Two side when there is one of the hottest prospects in the country desperate for a game and experience sat on the bench. If you're not going to loan him out you play him whenever you can, and Accrington Stanley at home was a perfect opportunity missed.

If Oxford plays against Southampton it will all make sense, kind of, if he doesn't then you've got to question just what is going on there.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Jumby wrote:I probably would consider that if there was any truth in it. If that was the case why pick him for the squad at all?
Because we don't have anyone else who could play there right now and we needed cover in case of potential injuries.

It's really not as far fetched as you and a few others want to make out. Some credible sources on this site stated with a fair degree of confidence that he's looking for a way to one of those big Manc clubs, or at least his agent is.

I don't really know either way, so I'll reserve judgement till I do. Just suggesting that it might be better for people to do the same.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I can believe his agent might be looking to coin it in with him but I think Oxford has come across like a very level headed kid that just wants to play. People have been making a big thing out of rumours and Sky Sports filling gaps with overblown rubbish. Until we hear it from the horses mouth I'm going to be behind the kid and wanting him to progress and become part of our future.

I too have reserved judgement up until now have not really had a problem with him being managed into the side gradually, but last night he should have played, in defence, in midfield, wherever, he should have played.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

That 96th minute winner was pivotal and a defining moment in our season. I think it will be onwards and upwards all the way now
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I bet those that didn't have the money for last night will be first on the phone for the Chelsea game :asleep:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Romford wrote:I bet those that didn't have the money for last night will be first on the phone for the Chelsea game
I'll be booking online thanks mate.

:thup:

Only joking. I'm not giving the club any more of my money until they sort things out for us in the ground.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

One thing I not about Randolf is he always tries to release the ball early for the counter. I think Adrian holds on to the ball too long sometimes.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

GET IN THERE A CLEAN SHEET!
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Also a foreign manager and coaching staff..... :shock:
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

I would hope it's the last.

Am I correct in thinking we fielded an 11 of all British players as recently (relatively) as during Pardews reign?
Chadwell Hammer

Post by Chadwell Hammer »

Last night could well be the turning point. Look at Wales, it took a last minute winner from their talisman to beat Andorra and they went on from there to become Euro 2016 semi-finalists.

or it could not... :eh:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Romford wrote:I bet those that didn't have the money for last night will be first on the phone for the Chelsea game :asleep:
if its anything like last nights game - they can have mine
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Hugh Southon now running a story that we didn't field an Englishman over the whole 90 minutes... bit unfair on Antonio!
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Hayden wrote:Hugh Southon now running a story that we didn't field an Englishman over the whole 90 minutes... bit unfair on Antonio!

haha says all you need to know about Hugh, priceless