West Ham Utd 0-3 Southampton (25/09/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: West Ham vs Southampton Match Thread

Post by Patito »

Well, off the top of my head from our last couple of matches; he came off the bench to score the winner in our last match. Then the game before, he set up our first goal and won the penalty for the second goal.

I'm sure he's got a few more assists from our earlier games too.

The team as a whole aren't delivering. But Dimi would be nowhere near the top of the list of players to dig out imo.

We have plenty of players new contracts last season, Cresswell, Kouyate, it's what you do to hang on to your best players. Reid hardly struggled to get a new contract either and he is very handsomely paid for a centre back.
garage
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by garage »

It worries me we havnt played any top teams yet :(
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Yesterday's shambles was as bad as anything served up by Curbs, Zola, Grant, or Uncle Sam.

So much for "the next level" - unless they meant the Championship.

Still, beat Boro, we're out of the bottom 3, and everything will be ok. :scarfer:
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

garage wrote:It worries me we havnt played any top teams yet :(
City and Chelsea?
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Not looking good. Lanzini and Payet not working together like last season, Noble looks completely off form. We need Carroll back, almost everything we created came from out wide.

Lose to Boro and I'll really start to worry. Hoping it's a blip
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

People can moan about Payet all they like. Of the last 4 games we've played he has set up all 3 of our goals from open play and scored the other against Accrington. He's certainly not the problem.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

'stone hammer wrote:Not looking good. Lanzini and Payet not working together like last season, Noble looks completely off form. We need Carroll back, almost everything we created came from out wide.

Lose to Boro and I'll really start to worry. Hoping it's a blip
I've been to every match so far and this is much much more than a blip. Something is very wrong.
Nick W
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Nick W »

The problem with our signings is we focused on a worldy striker. I don't think anyone knew our signings would be as bad as they are. We have a 30m Italian international striker for one... I would have thought he would have set the world on fire...

No one wanted to come to us, we needed another season improving on last season just slightly to then attract the world beaters..

I don't think it's the managers or owners fault with the signings. No one wanted to come to us or we were trying to punch above our weight.

I bet people would be happy had we got benteke now...
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: It will make a man of him mate.

Learning to lose is a good trait to have as a young West Ham fan! :D
Ha. He's seen us lose enough times for that I reckon. Didn't help that his under 10s side have been getting turned over this season after losing one game last season (they lost 9-1 yesterday, we went straight from there to the OS). They have a lack of leadership, a large number of new faces who either are plain rubbish or are takign too long to settle, seemingly pointless coaches, no faith in their own or their team mates ability and and completely are unable to sort the basics like staying goal side etc. Which sounds horribly similar to a certain other football team.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

It's far too easy to pick out one or two players to blame, but the whole team are playing bad, not convinced with one of the summer signings Arbeloa was diabolical yesterday he looked completely lost, what shocks me is how some? think one person returning will make it all better, wake up and get in lala land.

The Saints fans outshone us, okay they had something to shout and sing about, no wonder after a 225 miles drive home I did not like visiting KUMB, I knew what would await me and depress me more lol Austin must have had so much joy after what Sullivan said about him.

Well we are Irons and it is on to next weekend, no use thinking it is the end of the world, but we need to back whoever plays for us in the ground and the team on the day.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

What a load of ****.

**** performance.
**** result.
**** ****ing stadium.
Poxy ****ing people sitting next to the away fans behind the goal eating popcorn was more embarrassing than getting beaten 3-0. What a joke. Move them all to the other end and get some STH's behind the goal.
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

The thing that baffled me was the half time change yes Lanzini wasn't playing well but Slav spent all summer in the ITV studio saying you cant play Payet central you can't and what does he then do????
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

My first relegation as a fan was in 1978 and there have been more than I would have liked since then and there has been plenty of other seasons where we have faced a relegation battle and just about kept our heads above water, so for us to be in our current position is nothing new to me. However, a key difference so far this season is that I cannot recall a more dispirited, half-hearted, lazy set of performances at the start of a season. Make no mistake, if these abject performances are not turned around before Xmas, we are going down and more than likely, going down in 20th place - we are as poor as Villa were last season.
I dont like pointing figures at individuals and to be fair, the number of individually inept performances so far this season, I haven't enough fingers, but I will say it is not acceptable to watch one of our players interviewed post match and to hear him say " they worked harder than us" WTF?
There were just two positives I could take from yesterday. Firstly, from where we were sat in the Bobby Moore Upper, I didn't see any unsavoury clashes between our fans or with stewards. Secondly, the Steak pie I had in the concourse was lovely.
On the pitch, there was nothing positive to take from yesterday at all. We are in for a long hard season.
Last edited by Chicken Run Supreme on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1302 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

the pink palermo wrote:I think we had his best season last year ,tell me how he has influenced our campaign positively this year .
He saved us embarassment against League Two opposition by scoring a winning free kick in the 96th minute. I'd say that was positive.

He's played what, three/four full games out of eleven?
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

Won't have to worry about Payet for long he will gone in January.
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

Rasp wrote:Won't have to worry about Payet for long he will gone in January.
No he won't.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Worrying how poor we looked

The back 4 is a mess, and we look toothless upfront

We got key players missing who offer balance and our home games currently come with too much pressure/nerves due to the poor management of the stadium move

A testing period coming up for Slav and co
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

(quote) What popcorn, sitting all game, no atmosphere, away fans outsinging 50k home fans, youth players kept out of the side by average foreigners, London on the badge, fans leaving with a third of the game left, empty seats everywhere by the time the time added on board is held up............[/quote]

(quote) Change popcorn with some kind of other crap, 50k to 30k, forget about london on the badge, and it isn't much different from the boleyn ground in recent times when we were playing ****.[/quote]

This^^^
What is this obsession with Popcorn, it somehow being a symbol of all that is wrong....
I have been going since 1967 and I had some Popcorn with my 11 year old yesterday.....
I do get the arguements, but a large part of it all is the team form form not just the new ground.
If we had a no atmosphere game at the Boleyn it would not really get mentioned?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Patito wrote:Well, off the top of my head from our last couple of matches; he came off the bench to score the winner in our last match.
Against a 4th division side in the league cup ? I think you'll find my post specifically mentioned the league .
Patito wrote: Reid hardly struggled to get a new contract either and he is very handsomely paid for a centre back.
Really , I seem to recall he was a "contract rebel" , and isn't that well paid by say , John Terry standards or even Gary Cahill .
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

We spent the whoe summer building a squad capable of competing on all fronts, League, Europe, Domestic Cups.

Probably with the plan to have 2 different teams, one for the cups, one for the league, mixed with a bit of rotation allowing for injuries etc.

Dumped out of Europe, now left with an over inflated squad of average players, trying to keep them all happy now is a problem, there could be those that only came because we were in Europe, those that only came because we guaranteed them playing time, add that to an existing squad who probably over achieved last season, who think they have right to be starting above other players based on last season alone, it all points towards a hugely unsettled dressing room, the losses are only feeding the negative atmosphere I can imagine.

The whole RB experiment seems to have caused Slav some unwanted troubles maybe some players lost faith, which could have been avoided if we had just bought a Proper RB at the beginning of the window.

The general feeling in the stands is bad due to the move and the ongoing problems that has created coupled with poor performance after poor performance. the divide between supporters and the board is growing all of the time.

We have gone from an extreme high last season to an extreme low this season in such a staggeringly short amount of time.

It's a very slippery slope that we are on now, a slope that history would suggest is a hard one to recover from, in regards to the manager being able to turn things around. Time is not something afforded to managers in this day and age.

I hope he can do it.
Last edited by S-H on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.