West Ham Utd 1-1 Middlesbrough (01/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Middlesbrough: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Passing him by? I must have missed his 2 quality efforts coming close to scoring at the edge of their box. It weren't that bad yesterday, thought he did alright.

If anyone's game is passing them by, it's Kouyates. I was disappointed to see him start again instead of Lanzini.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Colours never run wrote:
If anyone's game is passing them by, it's Kouyates. I was disappointed to see him start again instead of Lanzini.

Didn't he play as much as Dimi this summer, but Dimi was afforded a long rest and he wasn't? He looks fatigued. I'd rest him for Obiang for a couple of matches personally.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

It's a good shout. Kouyate does look mentally tired as well as physically. He's nowhere near the player he was for us at times last season and concentration levels don't seem right at all. He'll get it back eventually, but he doesn't deserve to keep his place as he's offering so little to the team these days.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

DasNutNock wrote:Missed the game, but the highlights on MOTD showed some good inventive play, and 19 shots on goal hints at an upturn.

How many of the 19 actually forced their keeper into action though
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We had tons of shots at goal against West Brom too.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It still annoys me how we manage to work to work the ball all the way back to our goalkeeper from a good attacking position though. Something we also did regularly last season too.

Distribution from the centre backs is another thing I find extremely frustrating. How many of Collins and Reids punts forward have actually resulted in something positive?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Iron George wrote:How many of the 19 actually forced their keeper into action though
No idea - as I said, I missed the game - but they're still better numbers than we've had for a while.
Colours never run

It sometimes bothers me, but I actually ain't one to always get the hump should they go home occasionally if nothing is on and keep possession and go again. It frustrates me just as much when we force it because people will get the hump if we don't go forward all the time. Quite a number of times in the last 30 mins we were trying to go far too direct and impatient play when it would have been better to keep a cool head and make the right pass instead of a wild shot and/or attempted pass. Comes down to smart decision making at that particular moment in the game.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Iron George wrote:How many of the 19 actually forced their keeper into action though
19 shots at goal, only two on target...
Limehouse

Post by Limehouse »

My thoughts on the result is that a better team than Boro would have punished us again, despite it being a better performance..

Positives
Terrific performance by Obiang. How is he not a confirmed starter?
Wonder goal by Payet out of nothing.
Reid (in particular) and Collins solid, probably because they at last they had a proper screen
More collective effort
Zaza creating space for others (needs a goal)

Negatives
45 minutes wasted by an unbelievably poor set-up from Bilic
Another long term injury
Too long before Lanzini came on (also Bilic)
Noble - what has happened?

112 stood all game with no hassle I noticed from stewards. Rocking atmosphere, especially after the equaliser and lively banter with our friends in the North.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Iron-worx wrote:19 shots at goal, only two on target...
Ok, fair point. Wasn't aware 17 were off target.
Ercans
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Ercans »

the pink palermo wrote:With regards to our midfield is it time to shrink the pitch down to the same size as the Boleyn ?

5 yards in each direction may not sound much but it would by default reduce the ground our lads need to cover .
I actually think this is quite an issue. How many times were we 2nd to the 2nd ball? I also think the large pitch is a large contributing factor to Noble's form this season.

Thought the atmosphere was alright yesterday. Looking forward to Chelsea as a bit of a litmus test on this front.

We are clearly low on confidence which is why we didn't steam roller Boro. Will take a number of weeks the get this back. Shaped looked a bit better today.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

MD_HM wrote:I agree with those signing "we should have stayed at the Boleyn" and it's got nothing to do with anything being wrong with the stadium which I think is fantastic.

However it's simply not needed, we are currently not big enough for such stadium is the unfortunate truth.

The owners sold "dreams" (lies) to the fans and no doubt Bilic that we would be making the step up and competing but they bottled it and tried to do it on the cheap as we had a good year last season... It's dramatically backfired and at present we are an embarrassment
I think we are big enough but we didn't invest we got loan players. Its pitiful.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

11 attempts against Bournemouth, 2 on target
14 attempts against West Brom, 6 on target
15 attempts against Watford, 4 on target
8 attempts against Southampton, 1 on target
13 attempts against Middlesborough, 2 on target

Attempts at goal doesn't necessarily mean anything. Shots actually on target do! Our stats for on target shots are very poor.

If I remember correctly, in the early part of last season we ended up with one of the goal conversion rates in the league. This season, the opposition are simply making their shots count much more than ours. Watford had 8 shots on target against us, and only 3 off target. That's the kind of ratio we need to start aiming towards. Some of the shots we had yesterday were embarrassing.

stats from Sportinglife.com by the way
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

By my reckoning (and I havent seen the highlights, so forgive me if I have missed anything) apart from the goAl, we had one clear cut chance where Noble hit the bar, and a couple of half chances (Payet curled just over the top and Antonio near the end)

Not once in 90 minutes did we open them up via a passing move and Victor Valdes hardly get his gloves dirty

Not really good enough at home againSt a promoted team who had lost three on the trot, despite whatever 'progress' spin people want to put on it
Colours never run

Definitely the problem is on target and all Strikers have been shocking in on goal or sight of it. The wayward shots in to row z yesterday was horrific. At least working the ****ing Keeper! That's when we miss Sakho and Carroll greatly by comparison. They'd at least make the Keeper work a few times, if not necessarily score.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Just to put things into perspective regarding some of our shots yesterday: Zaza absolutely ballooned one from quite a distance just in front of us in the 2nd half and got dog's abuse from those around me.

5 minutes later Antonio did exactly the same thing which was met with a weird silence.

Noble had a couple of good chances, one of which hit he bar and nearly bounced back over the line. But some think he had a really poor game.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

And according to Squawka stats, Zaza and Calleri have a shot accuracy of 0% Fletcher highest on 25%

That really is abysmal.

That's Fletcher, 1 out of 4 on target
Calleri 0 out of 4
Zaza 0 out of 6

I'm can't vouch for the accuracy of Squawkas stats by the way - I'm sure I remember Zaza forcing a save.

Compare that with a few randoms I picked out:
Austin 50% from 8 shots
Vokes 40% from 9 shots
Deeney 60% from 12 shots

Edit - just seen that Payet has had 19 shots! So not only are we relying on him for creativity, we're also relying on him to bump up our shots at goal stat :)

He's on 33% by the way
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Wasn't there a theory last year that we were in fact quite lucky, based on the number of chances it took for us to score being quite low?

Seems to be the other way around now.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

steps wrote:Just to put things into perspective regarding some of our shots yesterday: Zaza absolutely ballooned one from quite a distance just in front of us in the 2nd half and got dog's abuse from those around me.

5 minutes later Antonio did exactly the same thing which was met with a weird silence.

Noble had a couple of good chances, one of which hit he bar and nearly bounced back over the line. But some think he had a really poor game.
Noble really should have hit the target from where he was tbf