West Ham Utd 1-1 Middlesbrough (01/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Re: West Ham United v Middlesborough 1st October 16

Post by James P »

kalashnikov wrote:The players are petrified of making mistakes.
Really? They don't seem to be doing very much to avoid them. Practically welcoming them.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

16 goals let in already. Let in another 2 here and I do think we will be playing championship football next year. At least standing won't be an issue if we go down as the place will be 70% full.
harryhammer66

Post by harryhammer66 »

We are conceding the same goals over and over again. Teams push their full backs past Payet and Antonio, play a quick 1-2 and run down the wing, cut it back to an unmarked man who slots it in.

There are too many things going wrong to mention, but i think them 2 not tracking runs is a massive problem as it is so easy to get into our final third. Also, no recognised CDM starting isn't helping as them crosses could easily be cut out.

Obiang has to play against Boro, and i'd consider moving Antonio upfront so Feghouli could go on the wing and do some defensive duties. Their first and third could have been stopped yesterday if Antonio ran as fast going back to our goal as he did there's.

Fletcher looks good but you cannot be relying on him yet, Zaza just hasn't got it, Calleri has shown nothing. That's why i think we should chuck Antonio up front and see how he does. We have nothing else to lose.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Absolutely must win. We are in trouble.

Yet to see anything from nordviet who needs to come out of that lineup.
My team:
Adrian
Byram Og Reid Arebloa
Kouyate Obiang
Antonio Lanzini Payet
Zaza

If we lose this, god help us...
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

harryhammer66 wrote:We are conceding the same goals over and over again. Teams push their full backs past Payet and Antonio, play a quick 1-2 and run down the wing, cut it back to an unmarked man who slots it in.

There are too many things going wrong to mention, but i think them 2 not tracking runs is a massive problem as it is so easy to get into our final third. Also, no recognised CDM starting isn't helping as them crosses could easily be cut out.

Obiang has to play against Boro, and i'd consider moving Antonio upfront so Feghouli could go on the wing and do some defensive duties. Their first and third could have been stopped yesterday if Antonio ran as fast going back to our goal as he did there's.

Fletcher looks good but you cannot be relying on him yet, Zaza just hasn't got it, Calleri has shown nothing. That's why i think we should chuck Antonio up front and see how he does. We have nothing else to lose.

That is EXACTLY how I see it
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Another loss I'm afraid. I think we'll eventually turn this around and stay up, but something is deeply wrong at the club which will take months to fix.

1-2. "Boos" at the final whistle and a few tear-ups throughout the day in the stands just for good measure.

A sh*t time to be a hammer. I feel like the World has ended.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Agree about Antonio, play him just off Zaza so Feghouli can play right.

Dimi on the left drifting in, Obiang and Nobes holding with Lanzini just in front of them.

If we can't beat this mob the whole team need lining up against the wall and shooting.
JohnLyall
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by JohnLyall »

I don't agree that this is a must-win. It's too early in the season for that. However, I believe it is a must-not-lose.

With our current form I would be happy with a 0-0 just to stop the rot. I'd actually play 5 at the back with one of the 3 centre backs picking up Negredo when he tries to play between the lines. Overkill maybe but not having recruited well over the summer this is the situation we are in.

I'd also drop Kouyate who's a bit of a headless chicken at the moment and Zaza who isn't ready and lacks confidence. It's one of either Payet or Lanzini untill the team starts getting results.

-------------------------Adrian-------------------------

Byram---Reid---Oxford---Ogbonna---Arbeloa

Antonio--------Obiang------Noble--------Payet

-------------------------Fletcher------------------------
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Felling really confident about this one. Think we'll smash 'em, personally. 5-0 my prediction and get back on winning ways :scarfer:
CWM

Post by CWM »

I think realistically we can expect to see the same lineup as we did on Sunday because Slav will be happy with our overall first half performance so he won't change it much if at all. And, to be honest, I was fairly satisfied with our first half performance considering our performances of late. We closed down better and tried to defend as a team against a tough, in-form opposition. It was progress at least. However, after the first goal went in we fell to pieces as usual.

I don't really care what the lineup is (we can't play any worse than we already are playing) but the only player I can see coming into the starting XI who could make an improvement would be Obiang. Noble or Kouyate out for him, I don't care who as they're both as bad as each other right now.

Like I said though, Slav won't change his lineup...unless the players approach him in training or something like that.

Can't wait for Cresswell and Carroll to come back, I miss them so much. We're playing target-man football without a target-man.

I think the fans now have a bigger part to play than ever, we really need to get behind the team and make a huge noise for the whole 90 minutes. It's easy for me to say that as i live in Stoke and can't go to the games but when i look at the players' dejected body language the only thing i can imagine will help is the fans singing loud and proud. We made some amazing comebacks last season (Everton being the most notable) and the fans were a huge part of that ability to overcome any scoreline deficit and they always played with confidence no matter who the opponent was. Granted, those atmospheres were created in the great Upton park but we're still capable of creating a great atmosphere in the OS (correct me if I'm wrong) and it has given me goosebumps at times with 50k-ish hammers singing and shouting. However, we don't sustain that for the duration of the game. Maybe the current unrest in the stands has a part to play in that though.

My prediction(s):
A 4-0 wounded beast thrashing if we score first.
1-2 if they score first.

COYI :crest:
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Middlesbrough: match thread

Post by smuts »

Adrian
Byram Reid Oggy Arbeloa
Nordtveidt Obiang
Noble
Ferg Payet
Antonio up top

Drop Lanzini, not offering anything at the moment, CK just about gets dropped in favour of Noble and play Antonio up top in place of the diver with the aim of getting crosses onto his swede as it's the only way we can score goals it seems.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

said saints was a golden goal match. how both teams played before and after their goal was night and day.

this one is the same.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Stewart Downing to score odds anyone?..... :(
CWM

Post by CWM »

I think realistically we can expect to see the same lineup as we did on Sunday because Slav will be happy with our overall first half performance so he won't change it much if at all. And, to be honest, I was fairly satisfied with our first half performance considering our performances of late. We closed down better and tried to defend as a team against a tough, in-form opposition. It was progress at least. However, after the first goal went in we fell to pieces as usual.

I don't really care what the lineup is (we can't play any worse than we already are playing) but the only player I can see coming into the starting XI who could make an improvement would be Obiang. Noble or Kouyate out for him, I don't care who as they're both as bad as each other right now.

Like I said though, Slav won't change his lineup...unless the players approach him in training or something like that.

Can't wait for Cresswell and Carroll to come back, I miss them so much. We're playing target-man football without a target-man.

I think the fans now have a bigger part to play than ever, we really need to get behind the team and make a huge noise for the whole 90 minutes. It's easy for me to say that as i live in Stoke and can't go to the games but when i look at the players' dejected body language the only thing i can imagine will help is the fans singing loud and proud. We made some amazing comebacks last season (Everton being the most notable) and the fans were a huge part of that ability to overcome any scoreline deficit and they always played with confidence no matter who the opponent was. Granted, those atmospheres were created in the great Upton park but we're still capable of creating a great atmosphere in the OS (correct me if I'm wrong) and it has given me goosebumps at times with 50k-ish hammers singing and shouting. However, we don't sustain that for the duration of the game. Maybe the current unrest in the stands has a part to play in that though.

My prediction(s):
A 4-0 wounded beast thrashing if we score first.
1-2 if they score first.

COYI :crest:
goof

Post by goof »

1 up top wether it is Zaza, Fletcher or Anontnio isn't working, we have to try something new.
swerley

Post by swerley »

smuts wrote:Adrian
Byram Reid Oggy Arbeloa
Nordtveidt Obiang
Noble
Ferg Payet
Antonio up top

I mostly agreed with this when thinking about it earlier this morning. It writes itself. I was thinking more
4 3 3 though...

Adrian = our best option in goal
Byram -- Reid -- Ogbonna - Arbeloa = due to injuries our most experienced back line
Nordtveidt -- midfielder -- Obiang = defensive shield and can push out wide yet staying defensive to help the full backs

In between Nordy and Obiang is one of two big issues. Stick with Noble for his experience yet slow? Try Fernandes for a boost but lacks game time? Go with Oxford for more strictly defensive cover in the middle?

Antonio - CF - Payet = have to keep Antonio and Payet on the field for the scoring ability. However neither can be arsed to track back so asking them to help out Byram and Arbeloa has been a huge problem the past 4+ games. So keep them up stickly up front.

CF is the second of the two big issues - stick with Zaza even though pundits and fans are slating him? Go with Fletcher who appears more threatening but is young still? Or rush Carroll back?

At this moment I think keep Noble in the midfield to not disrupt things way too much but use Fletcher up front. I haven't seen Zaza barely make a run yet but Fletcher has.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

i am going to visit my daughter at university this week and i am actually glad that i am missing this one.

given my ticket to a young lad who hasnt seen us play in some time due to cash issues, hope he enjoys it
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

harryhammer66 wrote:We are conceding the same goals over and over again. Teams push their full backs past Payet and Antonio, play a quick 1-2 and run down the wing, cut it back to an unmarked man who slots it in.
This is almost correct...

Either Payet or Antonio fail to track back which leaves our full back two on one exposed...

Our full back is beaten, the ball is cut back to an unmarked man who is unmarked because Kouyate, Lanzini or Noble haven't tracked back and he slots it in.

Looks at first sight like our defenders and or goalkeeper are inept but they've been left exposed because nobody is tracking back.

The main problem is that nobody is tracking back and that must change, if the present culprits won't track back then they need to lose their places to somebody who will even if they're not as good a player...

Because a premiership team must defend as a whole and if it doesn't it will concede 3 or 4 against unremarkable teams.

There are more problems than just this but this is the main one, we cannot pick up points without fixing this one.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:
given my ticket to a young lad who hasnt seen us play in some time due to cash issues, hope he enjoys it
You heartless b*stard psycho!
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

Adrian
Byram Reid Ogbonna Arbeloa
Feghouli Oxford Noble Lanzini
Payet
Antonio