Crystal Palace 0-1 West Ham Utd (15/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bobbymooresbracelet

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham - Match Thread

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

fmgod wrote:Atmosphere yesterday was first class, real top support for every player, even a Zaza song
Half time was a bit dodgy so crowded and no beer could've of easily been people got crushed
Also definitely a few in without tickets our row had about five extra people in it
Scouse Hammers apparently.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Really proud of that performance. it took a lot, mentally, to do that away from home and the bravery to play that system paid off. We played with great confidence at times and looked every bit a team again when Cress went off, digging deep instead of letting our heads drop.

Do that again this weekend and we could start a run.
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

So good to see the Cresswell, Payet, Lanzini triumvirate back in force. Cresswell gives Payet so many options, no coincidence that we looked so good with him back on the left side.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

That Creswell decision was shocking. And we can't appeal two yellow cards, can we?

Thought Obiang was pretty much flawless, and I'm glad he's getting in the team. Having mooted that putting Kouyate at the back to allow Obiang to hold in midfield, I'm glad to see it tried and work out - at least in that game.

Zaza was also impressive with his chasing and harrying - I still believe he's just a goal away from getting a few. His run for one of Lanzini's later chances in the game was excellent, I thought, and he certainly helped us to defend from the front. More of the same from him, and the team, next time out.
De Niro
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by De Niro »

I had to go out on Saturday evening so missed the last half hour of the match. I've just watched those thirty minutes and as I can relax knowing the result was able to observe a few things.

- At around the hour mark our press gets beaten too easily. Both Noble and Obiang make the run to close down the passing channel, they are both beaten by a one-two and it gives Zaha a run on goal. Ogbonna does the right thing and takes down Zaha earning a yellow card. They had two players unmarked around the edge of our area waiting for a simple square pass to them. It was crucial for Ogbonna to commit that foul.

- Zaza's effort off the ball was great. So much of Palace's play is done through long diagonals to Benteke or the wide players. Zaza never let them settle and made them rush their long balls making it much easier for Reid/Kouyate/Obiang/Noble to win possession. He kept this up right until the minute he was subbed. I also noted an occasion where Antonio made a run forward and into the centre of Palace's half. Zaza was switched on enough to drop back and won the ball from the area where one of our midfielders would usually be pressing (but wasnt as they were covering Antonio). We can all say we expect plenty of pressing and effort from our forward anyway, but I thought he went beyond what we normally see from most forwards.

- Townsend had a stinker. Might be a one off but perhaps there's a reason he has floated about from Spurs reserves to relegation fodder and now Palace. Palace did some good business in the summer, but I'm not sure Townsend improves them all that much.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

De Niro wrote: - At around the hour mark our press gets beaten too easily. Both Noble and Obiang make the run to close down the passing channel, they are both beaten by a one-two and it gives Zaha a run on goal. Ogbonna does the right thing and takes down Zaha earning a yellow card. They had two players unmarked around the edge of our area waiting for a simple square pass to them. It was crucial for Ogbonna to commit that foul.
I said this at the very moment he made the foul, and felt quite smug as the commentator confirmed it was a "good foul to giveaway". Zaha was going at a fair rate of knots in to a box which didn't have much cover, very good decision from Ogbonna and as important as some of the more glorified moments of the game!
NottingHammer6
Has liked: 1 like

Post by NottingHammer6 »

"The weather didn't suit us. Benteke clearly didn't like it. Let's hope we get better weather in sunny Leicester. If it had been a 3pm kick off we would have won cos it wasn't raining then. I blame Sky for making us play late. But I doubt the players do because Sky is why they are so rich."
- dreamwaverider

:lol:
This geezer must be having a laugh. Blaming a loss on the weather? talk about coming up with excuses. It wasn't even sky that were showing the game...
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Made me laugh and if you ever think it gets bad on here after a loss, I had a quick look on Palace's forum and they've got a "Bring Back Dowie" thread up. :lol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Notting, that one made me chuckle. He is clearly on a wind up and fair play to him for it.

If he wasn't on a wind up, then needs to up his meds...

Some fair comments from them I thought.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I thought the Opposition View was surprisingly honest and balanced to be fair to them.

Dreamwaverider definitely had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he wrote that.
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by steviob125 »

steps wrote:Made me laugh and if you ever think it gets bad on here after a loss, I had a quick look on Palace's forum and they've got a "Bring Back Dowie" thread up. :lol:
Their forum is an absolute gold mine!

but my favorite post was probably:

"We lost because we were f***** s***.
We were f****** s*** because we were underprepared.
We were underprepared because we prepared poorly.

Pi$$ Poor Preparation and Planning Produces Pi$$ Poor Performance.

And that performance was pi$$ poor."
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

De Niro wrote: - Townsend had a stinker. Might be a one off but perhaps there's a reason he has floated about from Spurs reserves to relegation fodder and now Palace. Palace did some good business in the summer, but I'm not sure Townsend improves them all that much.
He's a low end Prem/Championship player, he's crap, has no right foot, constantly shoots, one has to go in so he looks good in highlights
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

fmgod wrote:He's a low end Prem/Championship player, he's crap, has no right foot, constantly shoots, one has to go in so he looks good in highlights
How much have you actually seen him play?

It can't have been too often if you think he has no right foot. Payet aside I doubt anyone else in our squad has a weaker foot as good as Townsend's right foot. He's already scored one goal from outside the box with his right foot this season.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Townsend might not be a top 6 player as he's a bit too erratic but he is a decent player.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Just watched the full game again - blimey that was some performance from Obiang. 9/10 for me. Best DM performance from us in donkeys years.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Jennie had taken me to the Halloween Display on Ness Islands in Inverness - it's a group of islands joined up by bridges in the middle of the River Ness which flows through the city , the perfect place for a Halloween performance , all the Schools from the Highlands take part , each one putting on a different performance .
This has conjured up scenes from The Wicker Man for me, and not the ones you are thinking of TOMOS.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Has anyone please got the passing stats for Noble and Obiang..
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

stu1 wrote:
How much have you actually seen him play?

It can't have been too often if you think he has no right foot. Payet aside I doubt anyone else in our squad has a weaker foot as good as Townsend's right foot. He's already scored one goal from outside the box with his right foot this season.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Townsend might not be a top 6 player as he's a bit too erratic but he is a decent player.
An excellent article from last year can be found on Townsend here http://fanscorners.com/solve-problem-li ... ochettino/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's really well put together. Would be great if someone could knock one of those up for a player or two of ours
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

irving boleyn wrote:Has anyone please got the passing stats for Noble and Obiang..
Whoscored.com . There is a detailed tab where you can look at a variety of things
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

irving boleyn wrote:Has anyone please got the passing stats for Noble and Obiang..
Try here
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Thank you.Thank you....

I wanted stats specifically for the Palace game :oops: