Crystal Palace 0-1 West Ham Utd (15/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham - Match Thread

Post by steps »

Solid performance, and a much needed 3 points.

I enjoy going over Palace tbh. :D
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

aitchayell wrote:Credit where it is due-well done Slaven Bilic. That 3-4-2-1 system suits everybody particularly Kouyate, Noble, Obiang, Payet and Lanzini.

Absolutely agree but just wondering, would that system would work at the London Stadium?
How does Palace's pitch compare size wise?
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Shy Ted wrote: Absolutely agree but just wondering, would that system would work at the London Stadium?
How does Palace's pitch compare size wise?
I'm not sure pitch size in itself is the issue at the LS rather the wide open spaces around it and between the 'stands' that our players are being possibly distracted by.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

OFT wrote:
I'm not sure pitch size in itself is the issue at the LS rather the wide open spaces around it and between the 'stands' that our players are being possibly distracted by.
And the difference in the support.

Yesterday reminded me of why I still go. Chalk and cheese now our away crew and the motley crew at the LS.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

richneal wrote:Palace are great this season.
See I keep reading this. But I seem to remember them starting well last season then fading away into mid-table mediocrity well before xmas.

Personally, I thought they were poor yesterday. They picked it up a bit in the second half and certainly had us under the pump when we went down to 10. But at no time did I think they looked really dangerous.

As for Benteke, I'd take a fit Andy Carroll over him any day of the week.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

tjr008 wrote:Though I'm a massive fan I thought Noble was quite poor on the ball. Some poor decisions and passes.

However, if you watch him in that second half, he is such a leader, you can't replace that. Bilic knows it too.

On field he is constantly talking to everyone. Go here, go there, encouraging, admonishing.

When we are scrapping, we need him.
Thought Noble had his best match for us this season last night , he ran and ran and ran - he was given a different job to do last night and it worked perfectly - there were a few contenders for MOTM and I would include Mark Noble as one of them - he was inspirational last night .
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

Such passion in that away end yesterday, everyone together and behind that team. We all realised the importance of coming away from that with something and to get all 3 points by a battling, 10 man performance against a dangerous side was a great effort. Just what we needed as a club during the most miserable time I've ever seen.
Loving the knees up going on just inside the turnstiles "you got to show me love!"
Can we just play away games from now on please?
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Thought noble had a good game yesterday but FFS have a look before you pass, he nearly landed us in it a couple of times and will do so over the course of the season if he keeps playing the ball blindly ! As for the stadium, don't disagree about the set up of the ground but I honestly don't think it would be any different if the stands were right up next to the pitch ! It's still a new, bigger stadium which we were always gonna struggle in early doors IMO, it's how quick we turn that around which will be key !
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Yep TOMOS he played his Captain's role, unremarkable but essential to us.

I was chuffed to bits to see him at the end of the game.

He's still our heartbeat...
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

yesterday we demonstrated the difference between a good team coming off a horrible run and an average team on a good run.

pards has his players keep it simple and play functional attacking football well within their levels, slav has us juggling knives. when confidence is up we play the best football I've seen from my club in my lifetime, when it's down it gets very ugly.

also, this is the reason obiang is key. he is equally at home being a back to basics firefighter as he is spraying curled through balls down the channels.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Beavis Danzig wrote:yesterday we demonstrated the difference between a good team coming off a horrible run and an average team on a good run.

pards has his players keep it simple and play functional attacking football well within their levels, slav has us juggling knives. when confidence is up we play the best football I've seen from my club in my lifetime, when it's down it gets very ugly.

also, this is the reason obiang is key. he is equally at home being a back to basics firefighter as he is spraying curled through balls down the channels.
for that Beavis, you get post of the day. Spot on and sums up my thoughts on the performance too :scarfer:
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

steps wrote: As for Benteke, I'd take a fit Andy Carroll over him any day of the week.
Spot the problem though in that sentence.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I think you would probably be in the minority on that Steps.

Talking of strikers, I wish we had Lukaku that is for sure
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

aitchayell wrote:Credit where it is due-well done Slaven Bilic. That 3-4-2-1 system suits everybody particularly Kouyate, Noble, Obiang, Payet and Lanzini.
Does it work without Aaron Cresswell though who will be suspended against Sunderland ?
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Pleasure to watch the game, a great atmosphere, long time since we had that sadly. Cresswell, superb, so see him running down the wing and his precise crosses, Lanzini typical magic, and payet working so well. Reid put in a full shift plus. Now to keep that going.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

steps wrote: As for Benteke, I'd take a fit Andy Carroll over him any day of the week.
Not very often then.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Iron-worx wrote: Does it work without Aaron Cresswell though who will be suspended against Sunderland ?
Certainly not without Creswell's, Auther or Byram.

Unfortunately I think Billic will be forced to revert back to a flat back 4 with Arbeloa coming in at RB and Ogbonna pushed out to LB.

I've seen a couple people suggesting putting Ogbonna LWB. If people think he is capable of filling Creswell's void in that position they are sorely mistaken. He'd look like a fish out of water playing in such an advanced position.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

stu1 wrote:
Certainly not without Creswell's, Auther or Byram.

Unfortunately I think Billic will be forced to revert back to a flat back 4 with Arbeloa coming in at RB and Ogbonna pushed out to LB.

I've seen a couple people suggesting putting Ogbonna LWB. If people think he is capable of filling Creswell's void in that position they are sorely mistaken. He'd look like a fish out of water playing in such an advanced position.
I make you right, can't see who could replace Cresswell in that set up given who's available. Looks like the boss will need to shuffle the pack... Again.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Doc H Ball wrote:Yep TOMOS he played his Captain's role, unremarkable but essential to us.

I was chuffed to bits to see him at the end of the game.

He's still our heartbeat...
He was everywhere last night - his game was mostly closing the Palace players down but even in the 86th minute he managed to find young Fernandes with a superb cross-field pass which with a bit of luck could have led to something .
Mark Noble is our Mr Versatile our Heartbeat as you say , he leads by example and that win last night will have given each and every player the confidence that's been lacking .

I hope you managed to find some cover in that chair of yours last night , it didn't look very nice at all - I was in one for around two months but couldn't get the hang of it at all , My Mrs or my Daughter had to push me around with me moaning from the front with ' watch the bloody paint work ' as they crashed it into yet another kerb .
Last night's win was about people such as yourself , Doc - the die-hard supporters who carry this magnificent Club of ours through thick and thin - those Supporters who get our team playing again for without inspirational supporters there cannot be inspirational play .
It would have been so much easier to watch the game at home , especially in your condition , but you responded to the call and made last night what it was , a bloody good night and hopefully the turning point in our season . :thup:
irongav
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irongav »

Cracking away day. Proper football ground that holds the atmosphere in. Close to the pitch passionate home fans. Loved the safe standing banners they held up for ours and their chairman. Team put in a proper shift, zaza changed my opinion of him yesterday, he worked for the team and one particular tackle he put in raised the bar, team coming over to the fans after final whistle, decent reception for Tomkins. Yesterday was all about why I love being west ham fan. Can't wait for Everton