West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland (22/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Sunderland: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Up the Junction wrote:I think .......... Romford (re: shape/effectiveness) have called this just about right.
I don't agree .

In the last 2 league games we've somehow kept a clean sheet .

Notwithstanding that, only Hull have conceded more goals this season .

In the absence of a proven goalscorer the priority had to be stopping them going in at our end ., and moving Kouyate into the backline and playing the vastly better disciplined Obiang into the middle has delivered that .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

the pink palermo wrote:
I don't agree .

In the last 2 league games we've somehow kept a clean sheet .

Notwithstanding that, only Hull have conceded more goals this season .

In the absence of a proven goalscorer the priority had to be stopping them going in at our end ., and moving Kouyate into the backline and playing the vastly better disciplined Obiang into the middle has delivered that .

I do agree with you. When shipping a load of goals, if you can't score them yourselves, you have to stop them going your net, work on the basics and hope you might just nick one. Bilic, to his credit has done this and I hope we keep this up for a bit longer until we get a few players back and all the while, build up a bit of confidence
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Exactly, Palermo. It's of no coincidence that we've kept 2 back to back clean sheets after leaking them like a sieve since the formation change at Palace (where we played very good) and had more than enough decent control of the game against Sunderland, if not lacklustre in the final third for obvious persistent reasons.

The shape couldn't be any better for us right now without our best forwards available and Cresswell who's so important to us in both aspects of the game.

I wouldn't want Slav to change the formation again in a hurry whilst he's currently onto a good thing. We are defending very well and looking like a threat on occasions going forward, if not perfect just yet in the final third but I feel that'll come if we keep this form up.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:In the absence of a proven goalscorer the priority had to be stopping them going in at our end ., .
It started three games ago though.

We barely gave Boro a sniff from open play and only conceded from a set play. Pretty much the same performance as yesterday except people on here slitting their wrists because it was 1-1 rather than 1-0.

I think of the group as a central 5 - Reid, Ogbonna, Kouyate (10 yards up, 10 yards back, whatever), Obiang, Noble.

Not a lot of creativity, but they all know how to get defensively involved in a way that Lanzini wasn't. Obiang>>Lanzini in the centre changes our solidity.

Stick Lanzini in that five at the expense of Kouyate and we'd go back to conceding hatfuls. It's been the way ever since Slaven got here.

Fernandes is an interesting one. He appears to have many of the physical attributes of Kouyate, alongside the technique of Obiang. I made the comparison to one of the Spurs lot upstairs. Watching him yesterday, it holds I think.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I still can't help think that we've conceded as many goals from simple lack of effort by Antonio and Kouyate tracking back as balance in the side.

Against some teams (and assuming players get and stay fit) i wouldn't mind seeing 4-2-3-1 again. A back four with Cresswell and Arbeloa as proper FB's, Noble and Obiang in front and then Payet, Lanzini and Feghouli or Fernandes behind a front man. Kouyate and Antonio on the bench.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Same score as last season. Sunderland were poor but tough to beat then, and poor but tough to beat now.

We were good last season, but struggling this. Sounds like we're getting back to where we were.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Sunderland
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130426
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

From the boss's opposition view ....

"Anyway, off to bed I'm pissed as a ****er and sick of football. Wish I didn't love this ****ing b*stard football club".

:lol:

Our closest equivalents up North were usually considered to be Man City fans. Yet more proof that nowadays it's Sunderland.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Up the Junction wrote:I wonder how many of those claiming it was a good performance would have said the same 60 seconds prior to the final whistle.

I think Bubbles (re: 'Boro) and Romford (re: shape/effectiveness) have called this just about right. Also felt youngest Edimilson was unfortunate not to get the MotM call.

But as is often said, if you can play poorly and still win things can't be too bad.
To be fair, we should have had a penalty in the first ten minutes - Sunderland players committed three offences in the same passage of play leading up to the rugby tackle on Reid. A Noble pen then and it would have been a different game.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Having watched the game back again, we really did play well. Sure, it was **** opposition but it was the way we consistently went about our business that impressed me so much. Especially the entire 1st half. How we weren't a couple of goals up by half time, f*** knows.

I'm also changing my initial thought that Obiang was MotM. He wasn't, it was definitely Noble. If anyone was ever unconvinced about what he brings to a side, just watch him specifically and you'll see all his best qualities showcased in a game.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I thought we played well - it must be way back in the Joe Cole days since we were last so fluid through the centre of midfield. The technical ability of Fernandes is going to expand that existing trigonometry club of Cresswell, Payet and Lanzini to a foursome if we can use him right. But the lack of a focal point is dragging everything else down.

There were plenty of good final balls on Saturday, people just don't remember them because they were muffed so badly by the receiver that they don't resemble chances anymore.

How long has it been since we had a striker with even a smidgen of technical ability with their feet? We exclusively favour physicality and/or athleticism above all else - Carlton, Carew, Carroll, Chamakh, Boriello, Emenike, Jelavic, Sakho, Valencia, Zaza, Calleri etc etc. Big lumps or willing runners all. No-one you'd dream of seeing standing over a free kick.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:From the boss's opposition view ....

"Anyway, off to bed I'm pissed as a ****er and sick of football. Wish I didn't love this ****ing b*stard football club".
I feel sorry for them. Completely shafted by Allardyce being (very, very slowly) plucked away by the FA, and then a horrific injury list, neither their fault.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

I think they could do with going down and taking a season to rebuild. Proper football club, enjoy having them in the Prem and they definitely belong there but a season in the Championship, ridding some deadwood would do them good. They won't be able to rely on Defoe goals forever.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Some of those Sunderland fans are living in a different world I think.

"Gangs of West Ham fans driving around Stratford looking for Sunderland fans, just like Stamford Bridge was like back in the '80s"

:eh:
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

The comments about the ground by away supporters back up exactly what I think. The ground is an embarrassment and I'm gutted.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Aceface wrote:But the lack of a focal point is dragging everything else down...

There were plenty of good final balls on Saturday, people just don't remember them because they were muffed so badly by the receiver that they don't resemble chances anymore.

How long has it been since we had a striker with even a smidgen of technical ability with their feet? We exclusively favour physicality and/or athleticism above all else - Carlton, Carew, Carroll, Chamakh, Boriello, Emenike, Jelavic, Sakho, Valencia, Zaza, Calleri etc etc. Big lumps or willing runners all. No-one you'd dream of seeing standing over a free kick.
Which makes it all the odder that Fletcher, someone we bought not loaned, hasn't had more of a chance.

From what I've seen he has good feet and is probably the only one outside of AC who could play on his tod.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Moyes is becoming a bit pathetic now isn't he?

I used to have a lot of time for him but he seems to be blaming everything but himself at the minute. Its fair to say the players are't performing but you also have to look at why, and bring something to the table. Sunderland is a tough job do not get me wrong, they have been flirting with relegation for a few years. This team is not much different to one that Sam Allardyce had ticking however and Moyes recruitment has been pretty embarrassing. He hasn't looked much further than Manchester United's reserve team and Victor Anichibe....

Watching the game Saturday i'm not sure why Sunderland didn't show a bit more ambition, if they took the lead our fans would have gone into meltdown and it would have been a long afternoon. Moyes just seemed happy to sit back and let Defoe try his best without much support... he has grafters who can make things happen in Khazri and Watmore... for a team who have an abysmal 2 points from 27, you have to expect more ambition.

The offside was questionable but his team fell asleep and you have to ask why he sat deep with 15 minutes to go, they didn't even counter. He wanted nothing more than the point.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^ Sunderland arrived at the game with a theoretical point and it was obvious all they really wanted was to leave with it. They were timewasting from the kickoff.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

They are right on one point, after the final whistle there was complete idiots near their exit shouting 'Come on sunderland, where are ya!?' Looking for any of their fans to kick off, complete embarrassment. There were loads of kids and families with the Sunderland fans today. Moronic behaviour. :thdn:
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Got chatting to two Irish guys on the way back who offered up a tube seat to my friends lad. Season ticket holders who lived in Highbury. Both Arsenal fans but decided to invest in tickets. Nice enough fellas and hadn't missed a game, but still pretty annoying to hear.