West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland (22/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Sunderland: match thread

Post by dodger »

comebackjoecole wrote:We will not turn up, expecting an easy game, they will raise their game.
We never win the "easy" games

Draw at best I am afraid.
I don't agree that it's 'never', but agree with the rest.

I see a 0-1 or 1-1 here. I think Sunderland will be better, and we definitely have a mental fragility when we are expected to win a match. Similarly, their fans will be more up for it than ours, while also expecting less from their players so there will be less pressure on them.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. If we score first Sunderland could well crumble, but if they score first or it's 0-0 for quite a while it will be them who gain confidence and us who lose any we gained from Palace.
swerley

Post by swerley »

I think this is Zaza's best (and maybe last) chance to show what he's got. Yes, he had a better performance Saturday but the poor guy really really needs a goal. Against Sunderland and their current form I hope he gets it.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Sunderland's confidence is shot, we have to come out and hit them like we did Palace in the first 20/25 minutes, we score, easy game. We do not score in the first 25, a tough and tight game.
harryhammer66

Post by harryhammer66 »

I see this game as the perfect opportunity to go 4-4-2, give Zaza a strike partner which i think will bring the best out of him in order to get that long awaited goal. We are at home facing a very poor Sunderland team and we have to proper give it to them.

With all our full backs out I would drop Antonio back to right back for one game and one game only. Shift Ogbonna to left back and keep Kouyate as CB alongside Reid. That then keeps a space available for Obiang to start alongside Noble in central midfield. Payet on the left, Lanzini on the right with Fletcher or Calleri partnering Zaza up top.

Adrian
Antonio Reid Kouyate Ogbonna

Lanzini Noble Obiang Payet

Fletcher/Calleri Zaza
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

harryhammer66 wrote:I see this game as the perfect opportunity to go 4-4-2, give Zaza a strike partner which i think will bring the best out of him in order to get that long awaited goal. We are at home facing a very poor Sunderland team and we have to proper give it to them.

With all our full backs out I would drop Antonio back to right back for one game and one game only. Shift Ogbonna to left back and keep Kouyate as CB alongside Reid. That then keeps a space available for Obiang to start alongside Noble in central midfield. Payet on the left, Lanzini on the right with Fletcher or Calleri partnering Zaza up top.

Adrian

Fletcher/Calleri Zaza

Only 1 team, Leicester play 442 this season. Even though it has not served them so well this season, they have the tactics and personnel to utilise this formation. They play it simple whereby they pump the ball long to the forwards on the counter. We don't have the strikers or wingers at present to imitate this style and I think even Sunderland would put pressure on us as a 442. If we had Sakho (and even Valencia!) besides Feghouli and Antonio available as wingers we might be able to consider this. We might just have to put up with our existing system and have low to non-scoring strikers if it enables Payet, Lanzini and Anotnio to thrive in lieu.
Last edited by iLoveLasagne on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

I think we'd be absolutely mental to change the formation again after taking 9 or so games to finally find one that clicked.

Stick Antonio where Cresswell was and start Feghouli at RM. Antonio more than comfortable playing on the left.
Last edited by DDHammer on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

I reckon we are going to win 3-0 or 3-1.

Zaza is going to score the third goal, rounding off the victory. We then go into our first London derby at the new gaff with a bit of confidence and make it a night to remember!

:scarfer:
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

DDHammer wrote:I think we'd be absolutely mental to change the formation again after taking 9 or so games to finally find one that clicked.
It's horses for courses though. With no Cresswell, Arbeloa, Masuaka or Byram, I don't think we have the personnel to play the same formation as against Palace. Antonio could do it on the right yes but I wouldn't fancy Ogbonna doing the same on the left. Plus, Sunderland away have different threats to that of Palace at home. I imagine they are going to try and make themselves very hard to break down and catch us on the break rather than taking the initiative and bombing down our wings.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

wonder if bilic would entertain Antonio on the left and Feloghili on the right, I hope not but you never know.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

ohsnap wrote:wonder if bilic would entertain Antonio on the left and Feloghili on the right, I hope not but you never know.
2 players in there natural positions? Unthinkable!
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I think he'll keep the same formation, put Ogbonna at LB and draft Collins in to the three.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

DDHammer wrote:2 players in there natural positions? Unthinkable!
Is Antonio naturally a left sided winger then? I wasn't aware. Maybe he could try that then :eh:
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by steviob125 »

harryhammer66 wrote:I see this game as the perfect opportunity to go 4-4-2, give Zaza a strike partner which i think will bring the best out of him in order to get that long awaited goal. We are at home facing a very poor Sunderland team and we have to proper give it to them.

Adrian

Fletcher/Calleri Zaza
I'm not sure about Lanzini and Payet on opposite sides of the pitch. I love their little intricacies and 1 touch movement, and when they involve cresswell its beautiful. With Cress being out I think it further justifies Lanzini and Payet occupying similar areas on the pitch. What about Lanzini up front with Zaza? They linked up a couple of times against Palace...

Antonio Kouyate Reid Ogbonna
Feghouli Noble Obiang Payet
.............Zaza Lanzini
harryhammer66

Post by harryhammer66 »

Yeah good point, I agree with you there actually, they are going to be tough to break down and we need our best players on the ball playing in triangles to get through
Nick W
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Nick W »

Shall we put a £5 on Defoe to score...

Former players always do well against us...
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Nick W wrote:Shall we put a £5 on Defoe to score...

He's 2/1 to score any time, 6/1 for first goal.
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

Antonio doesn't have a 'natural position' on the left. But if you remember, he spoke last season about working more on his left foot in training and - coincidentally - scored a great goal with his left in the 1 nil home win over Sunderland :crest:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Nick W wrote:Shall we put a £5 on Defoe to score...

Do they? I've generally found them to fluff their lines whenever we come up against ex team mates. We tend to fear it everytime it'll happen, but I've found it to be few and far between surprisingly.

What I fear most is the kind of player who has a habit of scoring against us, like Lukaku, Rooney.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I can recall almost every one of the golden academy generation having scored against us.

Lampard all the time
Defoe a lot
Joe cole
Carrick
Glen Johnson

Even Paul ince further back and junior Stanislas more recently

Only rio I'm not sure about?
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

The "On This Day" thread got me searching for stats of us at home against Sunderland in October:

21/10/07 - 3-1
24/10/99 - 1-1
11/10/92 - 6-0
18/10/89 - 5-0
12/10/88 - 2-1 (LC)
25/10/69 - 1-1
19/10/68 - 8-0

P - 7
W - 5
L - 0
D - 2
F - 26