West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland (22/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

coyi27

Re: West Ham Utd v Sunderland: match thread

Post by coyi27 »

roblo wrote:
wow, overreaction! I'm one of the more patient ones! Having watched West Ham home and away for 15 years, I'd have lost my mind if I expected 'everything straight away'.

For all I know, Ashley Fletcher could be the next Alan Shearer, but right now Enner Valencia would be a better option.
Valencia was given every chance in pre and early season to prove himself that he could play as a lone striker. He fluffed his lines unfortunately.
17 years of hurt
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by 17 years of hurt »

Overall We deserved the win yesterday but it did look like it was going to be another one of those days. The most frustrating thing for me yesterday was when it was clear we weren't going to get through the middle against them, we kept going sideways and wide which is fine if there was more than one player in then box. It's was ridiculous the amount of times it was 1 of ours in the box v 4/5 of their defenders. Bilic needed to throw the 2nd striker on earlier. I personally wouldn't have taken zaza off and had a crack with both of them up top earlier.

Still a win is a win and for the first 20 mins alone we deserved it. We were superb for that period.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

roblo wrote:
wow, overreaction! I'm one of the more patient ones! Having watched West Ham home and away for 15 years, I'd have lost my mind if I expected 'everything straight away'.

For all I know, Ashley Fletcher could be the next Alan Shearer, but right now Enner Valencia would be a better option.
Unless the problem is "Who is a useless pile of crap who we paid far too much for and is about non-league standard",Enner Valencia is never the better option.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

In times gone by we would have lost this game yesterday .

Was it a classic ? No chance, it was an awful game really with neither keeper worked hard , but sometimes you just have to win ugly .

I loved the fact the goal came so late , punishment for the early leavers . :D

God is a Hammer .
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

We carried on trying to play football and nicked the win,
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Credit Moyes with the best defensive tactic seen yet against a Payet free kick .

He removed the shooting option , very clever from Moyes .
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

roblo wrote: Valencia was given every chance in pre and early season to prove himself
[/quote]

It was a final chance after 2 years of mediocrity.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

the pink palermo wrote:Credit Moyes with the best defensive tactic seen yet against a Payet free kick .

Funny how people see it differently. I thought it was an awful tactic as the defender went too early and then it gave Noble a much better chance to score than a 35 yard free kick. If that was Lanzini that was a goal imo.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Did anyone get a better understanding of the incident in the first half with the overturned corner from Fernandes's shot that came off Zaza?

It looked like the ref still booked O'Shea for dissent even though he was correct to challenge and the ref agreed with him!
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

A great result given the circumstances but our lack of bite up front is going to hurt us.

At times we played some very nice stuff, but Pickford probably had the easiest day of his fledgling career so far. We've managed to cut out gifting goals over these last 2 games, but we have to make opposition keepers work more.

Reid was immense again, thriving in the 3 centre half combo. Antonio looked lost. Even his best moment, knocking it past their defender and leaving him, was tarnished by stopping and sportingly letting the fella catch up.

Payet has found the Matt Jarvis book of floaty aimless balls into the box with no one to aim for. Can someone please find this and rip it up. If he wants to improve his English skills someone give him a better book.

Up front, were suffering. Zaza again worked hard but he's being asked to play a role he isn't suited to. He isn't a target man. If we were to play with a pair up tip, I think he'd thrive, but that ain't going to happen. A sully panic buy bought and being used wrongly because we don't the genuine options.

Fernandes looks a good player to me. I was worried he'd pick up a needless 2nd yellow and leave us at sea, but after letting the first card affect him for a bit, grew into the game more in an unfamiliar role. We could have a player here. But can't see him getting much game time unless we pick up injuries/suspensions.

Onwards and upwards
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Antonio is starting to play like Jarvis. Since the first call up he is flattering to deceive.
Codu
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Codu »

Pulls up Trees wrote:Did anyone get a better understanding of the incident in the first half with the overturned corner from Fernandes's shot that came off Zaza?

It looked like the ref still booked O'Shea for dissent even though he was correct to challenge and the ref agreed with him!
I think it was Rodwell he booked?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Which proven quality reliable Strikers are these?

Sakho - Club knew his 'bust up' situation last may so should not have expected him to be relied on, 'injured' or not. Plus, good player as i think he is, apart from one hot streak, he is not particularly prolific

Carroll - always injured so club shold defo not have relied on him. no better than a 1 in 4 striker when fit anyway .

Ayew - yes, bad luck for sure. But one season in English football playing less than half of games as a centre forward doesn't equal proven

Yep, that'll be the ones. Had they been available, amongst that lot I'd have expected at least 5 goals between them by now and with that more points on the board.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:Credit Moyes with the best defensive tactic seen yet against a Payet free kick .

I thought it was terrible. Noble fluffed the shot so nothing came of it but if it had been Lanzini I wouldn't have bet against us going 1 up
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I thought we played poorly personally...and were lucky to get the win.

Not moaning mind...

Half decent team would have thrashed us yesterday.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Good to see Tenerife Murf with you in the Black Bull Chas, anyone know the official attendance yesterday there were lots of empties in the East Stand
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

the pink palermo wrote: Was it a classic ? No chance, it was an awful game really with neither keeper worked hard , but sometimes you just have to win ugly .
What did you think of the first half?

I thought we were excellent. We created a number of chances with free flowing football but unfortunately our finishing was poor, on another day we could of been 3-0 up at half time.

I understand that the second half of a game can sometimes hold a greater weight in people's opinions, but it seems a lot of people are forgetting some of the quality football we played first half.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

cockney farmer wrote:Good to see Tenerife Murf with you
Not sure he feels the same after watching yesterday :lol:

I know where i'd rather be !
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Totally dominated for the first half hour, then did that recent thing where we lost our confidence as they came back at us. Some of the play from Payet, Noble and Lanzini was great though, and the defence stood firm. Fernandes had a good game overall, in a difficult position.

The big negative is obviously the bloke up top. He's just not showing anything at the moment.

Considering where we were after Watford/West Brom/Saints, Bilic has done really well to sort out the shape and intensity and turn round the results. The style is there in patches and let's hope we see more of it as the season goes on.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

We battered the in the first 25 mins then got a bit edgy and nervous as we failed to convert , seen us play a lot worse but a bit concerned at Antonios form , Cresswell back will be a big boost Wednesday hope we play our strongest side , they will.