West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland (22/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ironstu

Re: West Ham Utd v Sunderland: match thread

Post by ironstu »

Aztec Hammer wrote:I can recall almost every one of the golden academy generation having scored against us.

Lampard all the time
Defoe a lot
Joe cole
Carrick
Glen Johnson

Even Paul ince further back and junior Stanislas more recently

Only rio I'm not sure about?
Rio scored against us in my first ever game at Upton Park. Also his first ever game against us after he went to Leeds!

Good to see Stanislas doing well at the moment.
fredjstanley

Post by fredjstanley »

Slaven's hands are really tied by the lack of full backs for this one. Antonio at left wing back isn't really an option, besides who would then play right wing back? Nordveit probably lacks the engine and Feghouli is an attacking winger. Unfortunately we may have to revert to a back four with Nordveit at RB, Ogbonna at LB with Reid and Collins in the middle. With Obiang sitting that should make us solid enough at the back, although Bilic would then have to make a choice between Noble, Kouyate and Lanzini (assuming Payet, Antonio and Zaza form the attacking three). Unless he fancies sticking Antonio at RB again.. I'm hoping we line up as so:

------------------Adrian-----------------------
---Nordveit, Reid, Collins, Ogbonna---
------------------Obiang----------------------
--------------Noble, Lanzini-----------------
Antonio--------------------------------Payet
-------------------Zaza------------------------
HeadHammerShark

Post by HeadHammerShark »

Aztec Hammer wrote:I can recall almost every one of the golden academy generation having scored against us.

Lampard all the time
Defoe a lot
Joe cole
Carrick
Glen Johnson

Even Paul ince further back and junior Stanislas more recently

Only rio I'm not sure about?
Yep - scored against us for Leeds. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 285934.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice to see us described as "hapless". Comforting, almost.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I'd have Junior back. I never really wanted him to leave and think he's a really good player.
fredjstanley

Post by fredjstanley »

HeadHammerShark wrote:
Yep - scored against us for Leeds. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 285934.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice to see us described as "hapless". Comforting, almost.
April 2001 - must've been one of Redknapp's final games in charge of us?
HeadHammerShark

Post by HeadHammerShark »

fredjstanley wrote:
April 2001 - must've been one of Redknapp's final games in charge of us?
You're right. He had two more, finished up with a 3-0 win at home to Southampton and then was gone before our last game at Boro. Also looks like that was Lampard's last ever game for us too.

Perhaps the only consolation is that from that point, Leeds somehow managed a decline even worse than ours.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote:I'd have Junior back. I never really wanted him to leave and think he's a really good player.
Yes, good to see him doing well this year.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Hislop, Ian Pearce, Stimac, Dailly, Winterburn, Moncur, Lampard, Carrick, Cole, Di Canio, Kanoute. Subs: Bywater, Soma, Todorov, Foxe, Diawara.

Our squad back in that Leeds game.

Better/worse now?
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Hislop, Ian Pearce, Stimac, Dailly, Winterburn, Moncur, Lampard, Carrick, Cole, Di Canio, Kanoute. Subs: Bywater, Soma, Todorov, Foxe, Diawara.

Better/worse now?
That was a good team but the bench is horrendous.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

fjthegrey wrote:I'd have Junior back. I never really wanted him to leave and think he's a really good player.
Talented player but has never liked the physical side of the game. Can remember him pulling out of many a 50-50 challenge. Bit like Downing.
fredjstanley

Post by fredjstanley »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Hislop, Ian Pearce, Stimac, Dailly, Winterburn, Moncur, Lampard, Carrick, Cole, Di Canio, Kanoute. Subs: Bywater, Soma, Todorov, Foxe, Diawara.

Better/worse now?
Good question. From the midfield forward that team had an outrageous amount of potential - shame not much of it was realised with us. Not so keen on the back four however! Probably shows the good/bad of Redknapp in one team selection - incredible array of talented young English players, some mavericks up front but a number of complete duds who dragged the aforementioned mavericks/young talents back to the mean.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

HeadHammerShark wrote: You're right. He had two more, finished up with a 3-0 win at home to Southampton and then was gone before our last game at Boro. Also looks like that was Lampard's last ever game for us too.

Perhaps the only consolation is that from that point, Leeds somehow managed a decline even worse than ours.
Le Tissier's last game against us I think. 'He's got a ****ing big nose!'

If I could choose to be a fly on a wall, I'd leave Scarlett Johansson's place for a bit and fly back to Terry Brown's office the day he and H came to a mutual agreement.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

johnnyb wrote: Talented player but has never liked the physical side of the game. Can remember him pulling out of many a 50-50 challenge. Bit like Downing.
His ability to win 50/50 tackles is not the reason I'd have him back.
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

I would like to see Calleri get some more minutes. He's very good technically and always seems to get a chance to score (even if he's fluffed his lines so far).
Zaza works hard but he doesn't seem to get on the end of stuff apart from set pieces.

I'd love it if we gave fletcher a go but it's very rare to see young English talent get the chance these days.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Better/worse now?
On paper good but Redknapp was distracted by getting his bungs chopping and changing players so much that it was impossible for the team to find rhythm and even the internationals were struggling to perform.

I'd have the 16/17 squad and manager over the 00/01 option.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

Anyone using Southend Victoria line (if this hasn't already been mentioned) the trains are up the swanny.

Stopping at Billericay and bus service from there to Newbury park.
Patito

Post by Patito »

+1 for should never have sold Stanislas!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Patito wrote:+1 for should never have sold Stanislas!
Yeah should've kept him and watched him not play ahead of Payet, Lanzini or Antonio this year.
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by steviob125 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
Yeah should've kept him and watched him not play ahead of Payet, Lanzini or Antonio this year.
This.

We were in a pretty poor state at the time and players like of Sears, Hines and Stanislas were very average young players at best. Ok Junior has hit a bit of form this season but we have moved on greatly since then and he wouldn't get anywhere near our squad of 25 let alone the starting 11.

Lets see if he can continue this for for the whole season, or for a couple of years
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

west ham hero!