West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland (22/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Sunderland: match thread

Post by Beavis Danzig »

man city and spurs both took late goals to nick a win against a poor sunderland (spurs needed them to go down to ten men). southampton needed one just to grab a point.

but we should be absolutely battering them because we're west ham and battering clubs we should be beating is something we have a long and storied history of competence with.
bobo

Post by bobo »

Didn't get any breaks?! He was played clean through in goal, on his strong foot! The defender not only caught up but brushed him off the ball. There's no way on this planet we'll pay £20million for this guy

It was one of the most shocking bits of play I think I've seen, I was left gobsmaked to be honest! It was the straw that broke the camels back for me, he just isn't good enough for this league. You need one of three things in this league as a forward player or all three; pace, movement, first touch..... Zaza has none!! I'd rather of had Sam Balldock upfront honest to god at least you know he'll turn a defence and cause a problem.

We need a real safe striker signing in Jan someone you know from day one will come in & play and make a difference! Don't need to be a big name just needs to be a someone who knows this league & how to play it. A Charlie Austiin, Troy Deeney, Shane Long, Callum Wilson, someone you know will come in and play & give the team something, at least an outlet. You'll pay over the odds but at least it'll be a player who can offer something!!

I stayed to the end I never leave & never will I said some choice words to those running back into the ground and while we are on it why can't you people get in your seat for KO, why can't you people be in your seat for the start of the second half!! It's a ruddy joke!! Get in & get behind your team.

I was impressed with Fernandes today, very comfortable on the ball plus a cracking turn of pace!

Reid is in very good form, it's the old Winston at the moment and I hope it continues

Obiang is just the nuts very impressed with his passing, he is very good at passing the ball forward plus you can see Noble is more comfortable with him in the side.

Payet glimpses of what he can do, even when it wasn't going his was he just kept going and going!

Is also like to say I thought Ogbonnna did well today, led by example in an unbalanced side even more so on the left but he took responsibility with the ball at times.

On a lighter not I was impressed with the new Astroturf at the dugouts and extra around the edging, they need to just do this the whole way round now as would look so much more professional.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

As far as Sunderland go, if (when) they go down, we should sign Jordan Pickford from them. The boy will be a top keeper for a long time.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Calligula def onside when Reid strikes the ball.

Obiang was MotM for me today.

Worrying how badly we need a striker to start scoring.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Peaches wrote:As far as Sunderland go, if (when) they go down, we should sign Jordan Pickford from them. The boy will be a top keeper for a long time.

Agreed. I really like the look of this lad, would be more than happy to snap him up if we were to sniff around them once they drop. I can't see them surviving this time round.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

kayahammer wrote: Worrying how badly we need a striker to start scoring.

Just our luck that the 3 proven quality reliable Strikers we have on our books are currently out injured, instead having to rely on a support cast of 3 struggling badly for confidence and form in front of goal. Only at West Ham. :lol:

It's not a case of not having the players in the squad, we do, it's just wheeling them out that's the major issue. Still, I'd rather us still be in this position than not have any quality ones or rely on just one like Sunderland for a whole season. The goals will eventually come for our forwards and worst case scenario is we still have goal throughout the side to keep chipping in. It's something we've got used too and been good with in recent years sharing the goal load around the team, even during Allardyces reign.
Colours never run

bobo wrote:Is also like to say I thought Ogbonnna did well today

I was impressed with his passing today. However he was fortunate we didn't concede after the break by fluffing his lines in defence leading to a clear attempt at goal. Other than that he had a good game I thought. I feel being in a 3 man defence suits his game more and I don't have to have kittens like I used too.

Also pleased to finally see proper colour AstroTurf going down as it'll make the place feel a lot more as one instead of an 'island'. Just got to try and pinch a few more local Astro turfs to fill in the rest of a current half done job..
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

coyi27 wrote:Excellent performance. Completely dominated. If we scored early we would have won this 5-0.
Spot on. I'm convinced some of the comments regarding our performance on this thread are from people who didn't watch the game. We played well. Any half decent striker up top with a bit of movement and we'd have scored a couple in the first half which would have opened the game up for us. After we failed to score it was inevitable that nerves would set in later in the game
miles
This site...
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by miles »

Played some excellent football and won. Well done Slav and the boys.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Enjoyed the game , great seats in East stand , Noble done good Antonio poor, baffled at Payets MOM , enjoyed black Bull before and Builders after , left home at 0500 got home 1130 bring on rentboys
roblo
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by roblo »

Zaza, Callieri, Ferghouli, Fletcher & Tore should all be behind Valencia in the pecking order.
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

Payet was sublime for a lot of the game. I think our expectations of him get out of hand. His control, movement and passing is unreal.

Fernandes also very very good. With Cresswell and a centre forward we'll be fine.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

roblo wrote:Zaza, Callieri, Ferghouli, Fletcher & Tore should all be behind Valencia in the pecking order.

All based on handful of appearances. This is the exact problem with football fans in this day and age. No one has any patience. Everyone wants everything straight away.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

I quite like what Slav said in one his interviews after the match. We were so good in first 25 minutes (probably the best ever under Bilic) but then when Sunderland had their first breakaway chance we started to panic a bit due to confidence still not being fully restored. A win like that will go a long way to restoring our confidence again and in future games we will stop panicking when the opposition start creating chances as we'all know we can always score ourselves. The pleasing thing though was that the football was there.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

We played OK but didn't get the ball into the box enough from wide areas. It improved from the right after feghouli came on, and it will improve on the left next game when Cresswell returns. Id personally play calleri next game - I think he's a good player. Some of the midfield need to be storming into the area to support the striker when they see a cross is about to come in though.
roblo
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by roblo »

coyi27 wrote:All based on handful of appearances. This is the exact problem with football fans in this day and age. No one has any patience. Everyone wants everything straight away.
wow, overreaction! I'm one of the more patient ones! Having watched West Ham home and away for 15 years, I'd have lost my mind if I expected 'everything straight away'.

For all I know, Ashley Fletcher could be the next Alan Shearer, but right now Enner Valencia would be a better option.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:

Just our luck that the 3 proven quality reliable Strikers we have on our books are currently out injured, instead having to rely on a support cast of 3 struggling badly for confidence and form in front of goal. Only at West Ham. :lol:

Which proven quality reliable Strikers are these?

Sakho - Club knew his 'bust up' situation last may so should not have expected him to be relied on, 'injured' or not. Plus, good player as i think he is, apart from one hot streak, he is not particularly prolific

Carroll - always injured so club shold defo not have relied on him. no better than a 1 in 4 striker when fit anyway .

Ayew - yes, bad luck for sure. But one season in English football playing less than half of games as a centre forward doesn't equal proven
MK Hammer 3

Post by MK Hammer 3 »

Who left early then? :lol:
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

MK Hammer 3 wrote:Who left early then? :lol:
Think they all juggled out to get the last packs of wrigleys gum.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Make no mistake about it, that was a massive win yesterday