Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (30/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Re: Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by stu1 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Reid was certainly not at his best yesterday and was partly to blame for both goals but I do agree he has been playing well and is probably our player of the season at this, albeit early, stage of the season.
I agree he's been playing well recently, but at the same time if you are partially responsible for conceeding 2 goals in a game you lose 2-0 then you haven't played a 'blinder'.

FYI I think Creswell, Kouyate, Ogbonna and Adrien were also partially to blame for the goals.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

stu1 wrote:
I agree he's been playing well recently, but at the same time if you are partially responsible for conceeding 2 goals in a game you lose 2-0 then you haven't played a 'blinder'.

FYI I think Creswell, Kouyate, Ogbonna and Adrien were also partially to blame for the goals.

I didn't say Reid had a blinder - that was another poster who felt Reid was our MVP so far. I quoted his post as I agreed with the second point and I quoted your post as although he has had a decent season, he had a part to blame in both goals.

By virtue of saying Reid was partly to blame of course it means there were others - Cresswell especially for the first goal was very static.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:It's not all doom and gloom with the fixture list - we've been a team of tarty game-raisers since Bilic arrived. The Chelsea game proved it again.

Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see us get more out of the next 5 than we did against the equivalent block of Bournemouth/Boro/Watford et al.
I think we will get a bit of a thumping by Arsenal and Liverpool but Spurs have gone off the boil a little and Man U are a bit hit and miss so who knows there?

We should be looking for a minimum of 5 points from next 5 games
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
We should be looking for a minimum of 5 points from next 5 games
I'd take that all day long.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Antonio should have an absolute field day against Liverpool at the back post. If we can keep the goals out that's just a big gaping target for 90 minutes. If...
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

In summary, if you don't convert chances like we made against decent premiership teams like Everton you will loose.
PS- We looked a bit leggy.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Im surprised no-one has mentioned the lack of attacking from the wing backs...something that surely this 3 at the back malarkey was all about ?

They have a striker we dont and as such our keeper worked harder than theirs.....not on when you create as much as we did.

As for the rest of the day....

Everton fans were shocking....M6 was even worse !!

Got home the same time as a bloody 3 o clock jobby :cry:

Good to see some old mates up there yesterday
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:Im surprised no-one has mentioned the lack of attacking from the wing backs...something that surely this 3 at the back malarkey was all about ?
They have somewhere mate, Koeman out tacticed Slaven, he pushed his Full backs forward to negate our WB's .

It's shocking though to be in November ( effectively) and not have a single striker score a single goal this season .

If we had started with Lukaku we would have won easy ........

The Chairman needs to get his chequebook out .
Crouchend_Hammer

PP - same situation as last year though

Who is going to be available to buy in January that is actually any good?
If a player is any good, then clubs will want to hang on to them until the end of the season. We are likely to be in the bottom 5 so not a hugely attractive proposition either...
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

I also thought they outmuscled us at the back.

Coleman, Oviedo and that Gana bloke all were pretty physical and Antonio was the only player who was getting the better of them really. It's just a shame he couldn't put any chances away.

They were looking to play over the top to Lukaku every time, something which has been a valuable tool to us in the past, mainly when Carroll's on the pitch.

For the first 20 maybe 30 minutes I thought we were easily the better team. Antonio, Obiang, Lanzini all had great chances they really should of put away.

It eventually cost us.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

The usual nonsense about Barkley after a passable performance - it's probably only Andy Carroll who gets the press more moist after even the faintest sniff of some form. I didn't think he particularly shone for them yesterday.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote: They have somewhere mate, Koeman out tacticed Slaven, he pushed his Full backs forward to negate our WB's .

It's shocking though to be in November ( effectively) and not have a single striker score a single goal this season .

If we had started with Lukaku we would have won easy ........

The Chairman needs to get his chequebook out .
Lanzine and Payet had the freedom of the midfield for the first half hour....Koeman tightened up in the middle which should have given us more space out wide.

I didn't even realise Bolasie was playing till the 35th minute (it was a good weekend)....we really should have attacked them more down the flanks as there wasn't really a threat the other way.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Patito wrote:

They scored 5 minutes after half time. Not sure you can really criticize Slav for not bringing on subs earlier.

Managers can't make subs at half time now? I definitely can criticise him not noticing the team looking shagged come the end of the first half. Subs doesn't always have to mean the "60th" minute mark.
Crouchend_Hammer

steps wrote:I also thought they outmuscled us at the back.

Coleman, Oviedo and that Gana bloke all were pretty physical and Antonio was the only player who was getting the better of them really. It's just a shame he couldn't put any chances away.

I was surprised as to what a physical and hard working player Bolasie has become. Not saying he is worth anywhere near what they paid but he is a very useful acquisition for them.

Also, Seamus Coleman is much quicker than I assumed
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I haven't seen it replayed but was Reid at fault for the first? I thought it was a hopelessly unlucky ricochet and that until then he was excellent. Head dropped afterwards mind.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Aceface wrote:The usual nonsense about Barkley after a passable performance - it's probably only Andy Carroll who gets the press more moist after even the faintest sniff of some form. I didn't think he particularly shone for them yesterday.
he ****ed up a one on one in the first half

was totally unmarked for his goal as feghouli was too far up the pitch...
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

stu1 wrote:FYI I think Creswell, Kouyate, Ogbonna and Adrien were also partially to blame for the goals.
Chicken Run Supreme wrote:I didn't say Reid had a blinder -... he had a part to blame in both goals. By virtue of saying Reid was partly to blame of course it means there were others - Cresswell especially for the first goal was very static.
I think Reid and especially Cresswell are being rather unfairly scapegoated for the first goal.

Cress & Reid react to the loose ball at the same time, Reid is closer so Cress eases off. Bolasie darts past Cresswell and slides in to nick the ball from Reid.
Perhaps Reid should have shown more urgency in his clearance, or perhaps he should just have poked it out for a corner, but if he's unaware of Bolasie coming from behind Cresswell, then he's going to think he has time to look up and retain possession. He was probably looking for an option. Somebody needed to alert him. The two defenders (Ogbonna and Kouyate) just outside the six-yard box, who are looking at Reid and ought to be able to see Bolasie's run, don't say anything. Both ballwatching.
Even more crucially, they don't bother to pick up the two Everton attackers that had run past them and into the six-yard box, leaving them both free and unmarked when Bolasie's cross comes in.
Yes. they probably thought Reid would clear the ball and they'd be pushing up, but it was sloppy and lazy to not mark two onside strikers five yards away in such a dangerous position.

A very similar thing happened for the second goal. Ballwatching.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Doc H Ball wrote:I haven't seen it replayed but was Reid at fault for the first? I thought it was a hopelessly unlucky ricochet and that until then he was excellent. Head dropped afterwards mind.
He had an ok game other than the duffed clearance in the build-up to the first goal. Don't think he did too much wrong in the Bolasie incident, given he was the only player in the box that reacted at all and did get a block in - we were just unlucky it ****ed up into the path of you-know-who.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

As away day losses go, my lad and I didn't have a bad day out yesterday.
Obviously, it all went to custard at about 2:40 onwards but the first half was promising and there was a decent atmosphere for most of the 90 minutes.

The save from Adrian was bloody amazing. I was stood right in front and was waiting for the net to bulge.

The subs made no impact unfortunately and I'm sure like most, thought Payet was really awful. He just looked so lethargic. To send not one but two corners out of play too was ridiculous. I guess all players are entitled to a bad game at some point though.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Romford wrote:Lanzine and Payet had the freedom of the midfield for the first half hour....Koeman tightened up in the middle which should have given us more space out wide.

I didn't even realise Bolasie was playing till the 35th minute (it was a good weekend)....we really should have attacked them more down the flanks as there wasn't really a threat the other way.
I think the halftime stats revealed Lanzini and Bolasie to have had the least touches in the first half, (14 and 13 repectively iirc).