Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (30/10/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: Everton vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Patito »

smarthammer wrote:Difficult to add to what others have written. Has there ever been a player who has a run of scoring against us like Lukaku?
Can't remember exactly what the stat is, but it's something along the lines of he became only the third player in English football to score against a team 9 games in a row.
Patito

Post by Patito »

And finally crispy you are bang on :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

crispy wrote: As for the above what does it matter, in the past we've have biscuit barons and all sorts that ran the club into debt debt debt.
A quick interjection here if I may to point out the biscuit barons injected more equity into WHU than Gold and Sullivan have .That's a fact .
crispy wrote: as one of few realists on this forum
Don't build up your part ...
crispy wrote: I can appreciate that they have stabilized the club and given us a good platform to build on.
Sold our home of 100 years or so, moved us to an athletics stadium, turfed out time served staff , got through managers like a dose of salts ......if that's your definition of stability I'd hate to see turmoil
crispy wrote: even if they are business men looking to line their pocket with gold then the main principal of being a successful business is making money.
Is it ? I think you'll find many business people want to have happy customers , who keep coming back ......that's how they make money
crispy wrote: In football this is all about winning things and brand exposure,
Brand exposure ? What a load of utter tosh , you've swallowed the Brady "how to succeed in business while being a half wit" book .Winning things is what adds the value .
crispy wrote: you get big deals by being a bigger brand.
It's not about a ****ing brand, it's about winning trophies , and doing so over a sustained period .
crispy wrote: To be a bigger brand you need more competitions and to do well in those. The last two seasons we have had a short but still existent cameo in Europe. When was the last time before the barons we had that?
And you think Gold and Sullivan were responsible for us qualifying for Europe via the fair play league .........utter tosh .
crispy wrote: As it was post number 2 of yours im not sure if you are just someone else from the forum on a troll or not and if not you are entitled to your own opinions but if you are going to use questions atleast make sure the answers support your argument.
Physician, heal thyself .
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

Can you imagine going back twenty years, having a conversation about West Ham and hearing someone talk about "Brand exposure". :lol:
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Patito wrote:Can't remember exactly what the stat is, but it's something along the lines of he became only the third player in English football to score against a team 9 games in a row.
I can't remember exactly either but I do remember that he's joint second behind somebody who has scored in one more game in a row against Stoke.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Disappointing. File it and move on. Think Lukaku has gone past Barmby now on the ridiculous run of scoring against us stakes.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Watching the game yesterday on Sky from the comfort of my armchair was a typically frustrating experience. An excellent start - we really looked good for the first 25 minutes, composed on the ball, making all the right decisions, controlling the game, closing Everton down on the rare ocassions they had possession and had Obiang's opportunity have fallen to someone else, maybe Antonio or Payet maybe, who knows how the game would have panned out. Instead Lukaku scored his customary goal against us and quite frankly after that it was game over and we never even looked like we wanted to get back into the game which was hugely disappointing especially compared to the same fixture last season when from 2 down with 12 minures left we scored 3 to win.
The striker situation has been well documented on here so I won't add to that - we all know we need someone to step up to the plate and as sure as eggs are eggs, it aint Zaza.
One aspect of our game that frustrates me and was especially evident yesterday, is just how many times we surrender possession with a pass back to Adrian who then launches an upfield punt that invariably lands at the head or foot of our opponents. I remember one particular example yesterday when from a throw-in in the Everton half, the ball was eventually passed back to Adrian - Why do we do this so often, from offence to defence in seconds.
Anyway, onwards and upwards. Special mention to our fantastic travelling fans who were audible throughout the game unlike the blue scouse.
Last edited by Chicken Run Supreme on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Patito wrote:Can't remember exactly what the stat is, but it's something along the lines of he became only the third player in English football to score against a team 9 games in a row.
And he's only 23!! :D
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I didn't think we were that bad. As Bilic said, the frustration was that they were definitely there for the taking.

Lukaka's first touch was appalling but he is a goalscorer. If only we had someone who could put the ball in the back of the neck.

I still find some of Bilic's ideas odd. Call me old fashioned but I would much rather see Arbeloa at right/wing back than a box to box midfielder.

His subs weakened us. I'd love to see Zaza given a chance up front with Ayew playing just off him.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Disappointing performance. Theories in abundance for our season in general but for what it's worth here is mine as we are currently placed just 3 points off bottom 3.

1. Poor pre season preparation. Players appeared disorganised and unfit. That's down to slav I'm afraid. New baby and tv commitments were possibly the contributory factor.

2. Poor transfer policy. The failure to find a striker is bordering on incompetent. Ayew is a winger and a panic buy but will be a useful addition. Zaza and most other additions do not appear to be good enough.

3. Change. Players don't like change. And they have a new training facility as well as a ground to contend with.

4. Sakho. b*stard. Caused a split with the squad.

5. Supporters. Refer to point 3 above.

All that said I believe Slav will keep us up. But a big disappointment this season.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
FWIW I think Reid played yet another blinder. Quickly becoming our MVP.
Reid was partially at fault for both of the goals yesterday. For the first goal he needed to react slightly quicker to Adrien's parry and his clearance straight to an Everton players feet just before their second goal was very poor.
Patito

Post by Patito »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: And he's only 23!!

Don't :cry: Another decade of this!
Chicken Run Supreme

LincolnshireHammer wrote: FWIW I think Reid played yet another blinder. Quickly becoming our MVP.
stu1 wrote: Reid was partially at fault for both of the goals yesterday. For the first goal he needed to react slightly quicker to Adrien's parry and his clearance straight to an Everton players feet just before their second goal was very poor.
Reid was certainly not at his best yesterday and was partly to blame for both goals but I do agree he has been playing well and is probably our player of the season at this, albeit early, stage of the season.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

jacko wrote:I didn't think we were that bad. As Bilic said, the frustration was that they were definitely there for the taking.
Surprised about all the wrist-slitting myself.

Both teams are and were pretty evenly matched - play that game 10 times and you'd probably find the spoils roughly shared over the course of it.

They had a cutting edge, we didn't. But we knew that going in.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

We just have no quality up top, and the goals we let in were basic errors. It was a frustrating day as we should have got something from it.

Whilst our strikers are not doing a lot, Payet and Lanzini need to up their game a bit as well. We need more than the odd flash of quality, i question their workrate at times. Payet looked like he wanted to be elsewhere yesterday, it was one of the most half arsed performances i have ever seen :lol:
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

The Gibbins wrote: Whilst our strikers are not doing a lot, Payet and Lanzini need to up their game a bit as well. We need more than the odd flash of quality, i question their workrate at times. Payet looked like he wanted to be elsewhere yesterday, it was one of the most half arsed performances i have ever seen :lol:
It probably was his worst performance yet he still created a couple of clear chances. He certainly wasn't the reason we lost yesterday.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Reid's **** clearance was not ideal for the first goal but Cresswell was the player who should have got the rebound. No idea what he was trying to do with his hands up. It was as if he was trying to shepherd it back to Adrian . Lanzini also got to do better on edge of the box. Sloppy all round
don't remember much about the 2nd goal except Ogbonna seemed to give lukaku all the time in the world and KouyatE decided to leave Barkley at the back stick for some reason. That goal didn't matter anyway. We wouldnt have scored if we played all day.
Chicken Run Supreme

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sloppy all round don't remember much about the 2nd goal except Ogbonna seemed to give lukaku all the time in the world and KouyatE decided to leave Barkley at the back stick for some reason. That goal didn't matter anyway. We wouldnt have scored if we played all day.
I do remember we had plenty of players in the box for that attack but Barkley had acres of space and plenty of time - piss poor defending.

It wasn't all doom and gloom yesterday, just very frustrating in a deja-vu, Groundhog Day kind of way. The Stoke game is now crucial - almost the proverbial must-win game.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Big difference for me this season is how quickly we seem to lose interest. Too many only seem to want to play on their terms.

Clearly the Chelsea game took its toll yesterday and that should have meant utilising the squad but we don't have much of one as most of our recent acquisitions don't look up to it (or up for it either)
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

It's not all doom and gloom with the fixture list - we've been a team of tarty game-raisers since Bilic arrived. The Chelsea game proved it again.

Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see us get more out of the next 5 than we did against the equivalent block of Bournemouth/Boro/Watford et al.