West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (05/11/16)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:46 am

Romford wrote:We had 2 ??

When was that mate....

We were lucky to have one most of the game.


I was being kind .

A year ago we were playing with style, panache, a certain swagger or when needed backs to wall, b*llocks on show giving it all defending .

Now, after a poor start, we have a Manager locked into a must not lose mentality , which is what happens when the Board - Sullivan specifically , undermined him by making statements about needing to be sure he wasn't a one season wonder .We all know that was the public negotiation about the transfer policy .

They then back it up by allowing rumours to circulate about other Managers being linked with Slaven's job , just to make him sweat a bit more, and not to blame the poor start on a crap transfer window .

Slaven is now scared to lose , rather than daring to try and win .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 36338
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Whining is what we are here for

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Romford on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:50 am

the pink palermo wrote:
I was being kind .

A year ago we were playing with style, panache, a certain swagger or when needed backs to wall, b*llocks on show giving it all defending .

Now, after a poor start, we have a Manager locked into a must not lose mentality , which is what happens when the Board - Sullivan specifically , undermined him by making statements about needing to be sure he wasn't a one season wonder .We all know that was the public negotiation about the transfer policy .

They then back it up by allowing rumours to circulate about other Managers being linked with Slaven's job , just to make him sweat a bit more, and not to blame the poor start on a crap transfer window .

Slaven is now scared to lose , rather than daring to try and win .


No point playing 5 at the back if we don't push the wing backs up and press forward.

Noble still plays as if we have 2 upfront then seems surprised that we have no-one up there.

Then we have our new striker...who spent most of his time deeper than the midfield.

Slav needs to be more aggressive.
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39027
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:53 am

Romford, totally agree with all of that .

The reality of yesterdays game is the Stoke keeper barely had anything to do .That's not good enough for us at home .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 36338
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Whining is what we are here for

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Romford on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:00 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Romford, totally agree with all of that .

The reality of yesterdays game is the Stoke keeper barely had anything to do .That's not good enough for us at home .


Not forgetting those 2 young bucks..Whelan and Adams run the centre of the park.

:asleep:
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39027
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby irving boleyn on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:05 pm

The signs were there that it was going to be laboured in the first minute.

The habitual interpassing from all the back three from the kick off ending, with a hoof, seemed even more leisurely than usual.

If you cant advance with the balI it should be a kind of target that you dont pass to a co-defender unless you draw an opponent out of position.
irving boleyn
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby swerley on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Romford wrote:Then we have our new striker...who spent most of his time deeper than the midfield.


Any why was that? It is hard to tell from the TV cameras focused on the back half of the pitch where we had so much possession, but why was Ayew coming back for the ball those times...and what were Payet & Lanzini (and the rest of the attack) trying to do the whole game? They couldn't come back and try to pick up the ball from the back 3? There was a huge gap the whole game until Stoke scored.

Even Tony Gale was yelling at Ayew to stay forward....but -somebody- had to come try and get the ball.
swerley
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: Nazareth, Pennsylvania

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Romford on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:34 pm

swerley wrote:Any why was that? It is hard to tell from the TV cameras focused on the back half of the pitch where we had so much possession, but why was Ayew coming back for the ball those times...and what were Payet & Lanzini (and the rest of the attack) trying to do the whole game? They couldn't come back and try to pick up the ball from the back 3? There was a huge gap the whole game until Stoke scored.

Even Tony Gale was yelling at Ayew to stay forward....but -somebody- had to come try and get the ball.


Because we didn't push our full backs up, had no energy in the centre of the park (again) and the striker dropped deep to get into the game.

I still don't think we know how to play 5 at the back...

Payet was poor (awful in the first half) and Lanzini didn't get involved enough.
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39027
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Did I imagine Ayew having a bit of a rant at someone in the midfield, quite early on in the game? I think it was after he ran forward with the ball and nobody went with him.
User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
 
Posts: 15945
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: Hit it, find it, hit it again

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby goof on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Adrian made some saves to keep us in the game yesterday, even sat at the other end of the pitch next to the away fans, you could see it was a massive humdinger. I remember reading on here that you cant buy the football kits with poopies on them, i did see some poopy coloured West Ham scarfs though, does anyone know anthing about them ?
User avatar
goof
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Rasp on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:12 pm

One thing I couldn't understand yesterday was only a single minute of added time given by the fourth official before the interval, Stoke had three injuries one was for at least 3-4 minutes and the other 2 were well over a minute, can someone please explain or is it just poor officiating again.
Rasp
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby 61dicksey on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:14 pm

We did eventually play 3 more mins of extra time , just the board went up with one minute.
User avatar
61dicksey
 
Posts: 7448
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Hampshire

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:14 pm

The ref actually played about three minutes extra to be fair to him. The time the fourth official indicates is a minimum, the ref still decides how much to add.
User avatar
Johnny Byrne's Boots
 
Posts: 15945
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: Hit it, find it, hit it again

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Sir_Trevor on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Romford wrote:
I still don't think we know how to play 5 at the back...



What I find really strange is how Cresswell was always one of our most potent attacking options playing in a back four, overlapping with Payet on the Left. But, in the last two games playing as a wing back, he hasn't really got forward so much at all.
User avatar
Sir_Trevor
 
Posts: 2639
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby hammer1975 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Think I saw Mark Hughes mentioned that Marriner told the players he signalled 3 minutes and the 4th official misunderstood and only put a minute up

Was the most entertaining part of the match seeing the Stoke players repeatedly pointing to their imaginary watches to try to avoid a Payet free kick. As ineffectual as we are at the moment I'm glad we don't play like that - wasting seconds here, a minute there
User avatar
hammer1975
 
Posts: 8287
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 10:16 pm

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Absolutely Hammered! on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Bit confused why Stoke fans are so happy with their performance. Thought they were cr&p. 90% of their play was up in the air as per usual and they stuck 9 men behind the ball. I know we played like that under Sam but our fans weren't really happy with our style. Stoke are organised I'll give them that but if I was a Stoke fan I would be very happy with a point but wouldn't be happy with that performance. I expect we'll finish above them assuming we get a forward in Jan.
User avatar
Absolutely Hammered!
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 am
Location: Spoons... Table 28... It's on the left.

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby goof on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Regardless of the performance i would be happy with an away point, a manager that put on 2 forwards to try and win the game , when the home team did not. Also a point made with an Arnatauvic suspension and a Shaqiri injury, it would be like an away point without Lanzini and Payet.
User avatar
goof
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby EastLondonHammer on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Definitely think we need two strikers playing. With Antonio and Kouyate playing further back now, there's no one in our midfield willing to get into the box and provide options. And we can't keep possession since there's no fluency in the attack.
User avatar
EastLondonHammer
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:14 am

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Watching the Leicester game. Regularly getting five and six men in the opposition box in open play. We are not going to score many goals if we don't make defenders defend. Not rocket science
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 7712
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby HoppyHammer on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Watching the Leicester game. Regularly getting five and six men in the opposition box in open play. We are not going to score many goals if we don't make defenders defend. Not rocket science


Agree and watching Chelsea and Liverpool the gulf between them and us now is immense. There were times yesterday when we had no WH player in the box waiting for a cross or ball in.

We are in big trouble it is the tactics as much as the lethargic players
HoppyHammer
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Wimborne,Dorset

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Postby brownout on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Rasp wrote:One thing I couldn't understand yesterday was only a single minute of added time given by the fourth official before the interval, Stoke had three injuries one was for at least 3-4 minutes and the other 2 were well over a minute, can someone please explain or is it just poor officiating again.


Fourth official doesn't have much to do so you'd think they get something as simple as this right. ref was correct to play the extra time.
User avatar
brownout
 
Posts: 8076
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to KUMB Match Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests