West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (05/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Post by Het-Field »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Good god that was dull. Atmosphere was excruciatingly poor. A far cry from the Chelsea game. My old man reckons it's too many families with young kids

Honestly, it was one of the worst games I can recall. Two jammy goals between lashings of dross, where both sides cancelled each other out. I think the flat atmosphere was entirely to do with the game on the field. The BG suffered from that numerous times in the past.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 510 likes
Total likes: 1304 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

There's no doubt the match didn't help and yeah we certainly had dull crowds at Upton Park but man, even on those games you could get an irons, or a come on you irons going. Today in 243 there was me, the old man and a geezer two or three seats from us, we tried a number of times to get a chant going, even after our goal and nothing. Really frustrating.
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

Rasp wrote:Might I just say that the last post performed by a lone trumpeter was my highlight of the day, impeccably observed by everyone, truly hairs on end stuff.
And the chairmen walking out with the wreaths to the moody jazz funk number was pure West ham.
HHCD

Post by HHCD »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Next to where all of us in 114 were moved were a lot of Newham council workers on freebies. Might aswell have had cardboard cutouts.
Whilst the Boleyn regulars for decades are paying full price.....STINKS

The day those 3 morons who sit in our Directors box are out of our club will be the best day in the history of West Ham.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Painful to watch for a number of reasons, so you can all decide on your favourite dozen or so issues as I cry into my Tanqueray post space-telly.

Thought the Stoke no. 32 (Ramadan? Sobi? youngster, whoever he was) had an excellent game, took care of business on the flank and almost completely nullified anything we had going on his side of the pitch. MoTM.

Genuinely feel sorry to all that travelled and paid today - West Ham and Stoke: Stoke were the better team but all in all it was the opposite of entertainment.

I can handle losing, bottom three or relegation but cannot handle utter boredom.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Exactly that richneAl. We will be lucky to have 30k over there next year even if we stay up if we play like that.
best thing about the game was the 'Brady, you're a ****' chants
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Rasp wrote:Might I just say that the last post performed by a lone trumpeter was my highlight of the day, impeccably observed by everyone, truly hairs on end stuff.
Spot on Sir, always gets me - The Last Post combined with 50,000 Hammers that understand the meaning and importance of respecting the fallen soldiers - well played lads
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

HHCD wrote:The day those 3 morons who sit in our Directors box are out of our club will be the best day in the history of West Ham.
Here here.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Still really pissed off about the result. We just looked powder puff up front. Others said it against Everton but I just told myself (or more likely kidded myself) that we had a good couple of chances in the first half against Everton but it just wasn't our day and they didn't go in. Today we just looked terrible up front. A little worrying...
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

funky chicken wrote: Here here.

That go's for me too. They are too out of touch
brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 179 likes

Post by brownout »

What dull afternoon.
Win, lose or draw, I wasn’t really bothered.
We’ll get enough points to stay up and if we don’t the Championship makes for some good away trips.
Cold, soulless stadium, owners who don’t care about fans, overpaid players with no connection to us (and too far away to see their faces). Not surprising that more and more fans are saying they’ve had enough.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

As above.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

brownout wrote:What dull afternoon.
We’ll get enough points to stay up and if we don’t the Championship makes for some good away trips.
Cold, soulless stadium, owners who don’t care about fans, overpaid players with no connection to us (and too far away to see their faces). Not surprising that more and more fans are saying they’ve had enough.
To be honest Upton Park in recent years was little different other than it was familiar surroundings and I do think the fact we leaving kind rejuvenated the atmosphere somewhat over the last few seasons.

Having said that I feel totally betrayed by the owners over this move by both what I experiencing both on and off the field at the moment so much that I would happily swap being in The Championship at The Boleyn to where we are now and that is some achievement by the board towards someone who has been pretty solidly pro-moving from Day One, though with different owners I still think it can be a success sadly not as will be proven with this lot.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 183 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

brownout wrote:What dull afternoon.
Very well put and pretty much sums it up for me. The silence from Brady and the owners is very telling - nothing enjoyable about supporting West Ham at the moment.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Adrian
Arbeloa Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Obiang Kouyate
Payet
Antonio Fletcher Ayew

For the next game please.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Sorry, but we have to be less myopic than just turning on the owners here.

The team is not performing. The bulk of today's team beat Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc at various times last year. We have two star players who are struggling to maintain their level of incision. We have a Captain who seems to lack the confidence to progress the game. We have a keeper who has started to take rash and silly decisions at key points in games. And we have a manager who is employing a system which worked once, and is neutering our strongest central midfield player, while also leaving the wings open to exposure. That and the lack of strikers in spite of the fact that Bilic has brought in four strikers who don't have a goal to their name, and continues to omit a striker who has once scored well in the Premier League.

Today had less to do with the owners and the stadium than it did with a squad which is finding its level, and is lacking the confidence to actually turn the clocks back 12 months. Im not saying this is the belt and braces answer, but as for why we played poorly against Stoke and tossed away two points, I think its something that the owners cannot be blamed for.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

thejackhammer wrote:Adrian
Arbeloa Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Obiang Kouyate
Payet
Antonio Fletcher Ayew

For the next game please.
Fletcher isn't ready. I thought he was poor when he came on today. Gave the ball away cheaply, as did Fernandes.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Het-Field wrote:Sorry, but we have to be less myopic than just turning on the owners here.

The team is not performing. The bulk of today's team beat Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc at various times last year. We have two star players who are struggling to maintain their level of incision. We have a Captain who seems to lack the confidence to progress the game. We have a keeper who has started to take rash and silly decisions at key points in games. And we have a manager who is employing a system which worked once, and is neutering our strongest central midfield player, while also leaving the wings open to exposure. That and the lack of strikers in spite of the fact that Bilic has brought in four strikers who don't have a goal to their name, and continues to omit a striker who has once scored well in the Premier League.

Today had less to do with the owners and the stadium than it did with a squad which is finding its level, and is lacking the confidence to actually turn the clocks back 12 months. Im not saying this is the belt and braces answer, but as for why we played poorly against Stoke and tossed away two points, I think its something that the owners cannot be blamed for.
I think we overachieved last year. Maybe this is our level.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

jacko wrote:
Fletcher isn't ready. I thought he was poor when he came on today. Gave the ball away cheaply, as did Fernandes.
They were far from alone in that today.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

jacko wrote:
I think we overachieved last year. Maybe this is our level.
I totally agree. And the PL table is telling its own story. The manner in which Liverpool, Man Utd, and Chelsea have recovered is quite extraordinary.