West Ham Utd 1-1 Stoke City (05/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Stoke: match thread

Post by costa75 »

My patience with Adrian has come to an end. He has ****ed up once again, and after a solid performance versus Chelsea, Randolph deserves a run.

Despite what the press say, I thought the Chelsea match was a great advert for English football. However, if I wanted to put someone off football for life, I would force them to sit through that game today. Shocking.......
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

jacko wrote:
I think we overachieved last year. Maybe this is our level.
Het-Field wrote: I totally agree. And the PL table is telling its own story. The manner in which Liverpool, Man Utd, and Chelsea have recovered is quite extraordinary.
Strange way to spell expensive. :wink:
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

We can't really compare the atmosphere at today's game with Chelski. Derby game, we played well and won = decent atmosphere. November last year at the Boleyn we played West Brom. We played equally as dire as today, their equaliser was a shocker and the atmosphere was the same too.

Things were regularly **** in the past, things are **** now. Not a lot changes!
LouieOneChop

Post by LouieOneChop »

Respect the point :crest:
HHCD

Post by HHCD »

Het-Field wrote:Sorry, but we have to be less myopic than just turning on the owners here.

The team is not performing. The bulk of today's team beat Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc at various times last year. We have two star players who are struggling to maintain their level of incision. We have a Captain who seems to lack the confidence to progress the game. We have a keeper who has started to take rash and silly decisions at key points in games. And we have a manager who is employing a system which worked once, and is neutering our strongest central midfield player, while also leaving the wings open to exposure. That and the lack of strikers in spite of the fact that Bilic has brought in four strikers who don't have a goal to their name, and continues to omit a striker who has once scored well in the Premier League.

Today had less to do with the owners and the stadium than it did with a squad which is finding its level, and is lacking the confidence to actually turn the clocks back 12 months. Im not saying this is the belt and braces answer, but as for why we played poorly against Stoke and tossed away two points, I think its something that the owners cannot be blamed for.
Fair point...but the owners consistently said moving to Stratford would move us up a level on the pitch.
They have not purchased one player (out of 13) who is better than anybody we had.
The board were full of talking us up as a big club but they simply haven't delivered.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

Het-Field wrote:
I totally agree. And the PL table is telling its own story. The manner in which Liverpool, Man Utd, and Chelsea have recovered is quite extraordinary.
The manner that those clubs under performed last season is what was quite extraordinary, this season it is really close to the minimum clubs of their statue should be achieving in this League and is not anything extraordinary.

Last season was unique in many ways and really for many clubs an opportunity to exploit, something Leicester did with both hands and they should really put our achievements into some context, the difference is whatever happens Leicester did something our owners could only dream about but listening to them you would think somehow their achievements last season with us are on par with Leicester's.

Read my posting history I have never been against the move in fact I am pretty much all for it but I was always sceptical that this board could capitalise on it and nothing either on or off the pitch has changed that as it stands, the stadium is little more than a big bowl and temporary stands so to compare it to somewhere like the Emirates as a world class football venue is laughable, I find very little about it lives up to the hype coming from the board about it and a bit humble pie from them wouldn't go amiss in regard to how much of a let down it is to many fans.

On the pitch we can argue who is responsible for the mess we are in but that is exactly what it is and relegation battle a certainty now and the boards hands are all over that too.
HHCD

Post by HHCD »

brownout wrote:. Not surprising that more and more fans are saying they’ve had enough.
Herr Brady and the 2 old men are in for a bit of a shock in June
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

HHCD wrote:
Herr Brady and the 2 old men are in for a bit of a shock in June
Always said 2nd year would be the true reflection on if the stadium migration has been a success.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Het-Field wrote:
Today had less to do with the owners and the stadium than it did with a squad which is finding its level, and is lacking the confidence to actually turn the clocks back 12 months. Im not saying this is the belt and braces answer, but as for why we played poorly against Stoke and tossed away two points, I think its something that the owners cannot be blamed for.
Are you for real? IMO this has everything to do with the owners. We were promised players to take us into the top 6 (where we were for most of last season) but instead we got a load of dross and loanees. We were promised the best stadium migration ever and we got a stadium filled with empty season ticket seats whilst members have to join a fcvving ballet. Fans arguing over standing, fighting in the stands and now fans ejected by hired heavy "snatch squads" and just to finish us off when leaving the stadium fans are kettled and herded around by idiotic security personnel who are well out of their depth.
The club has turned into a fcving circus again and that is bound to affect the players on the pitch.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Attacking stewards...

Fighting in the stands...

Items being thrown at fans...

Lets see if the media/Oatcake/SCFC are going to report/apologise for this from the Stoke fans

We all know the media read this site...lets see if they are honest ???

I bet they don't....

This site should add to the site regs that the media cannot pick and choose what they quote :hush:

Proper bad darts...and 100% double standards
Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 »

I cannot understand those who blindly refuse to lay any blame at the door of the owners who are constantly blowing their own trumpets any success we have, surely if they are happy to take the credit in good times then holding them accountable when things don't go right is only fair?

The bar has been set pretty low for any West Ham owner by what has preceded them and I have little doubt the current owners are decent business people and the club benefits greatly in many ways from this expertise but I struggle with the concept that because they are fans their motives are beyond question.

For me the events of the last few months tells me their claim they are fans is little more than a badge of convenience that will never influence business decisions, as I said on another post no way had I been a Chairmen of their wealth allowed any of my fellow fans enter the first league game at this ground without some kind wow factor be it as something as little as a padded seat or as costly as a £30m+ star signing even it meant dipping into my own pocket to achieve it but as I said that none of that probably made business sense so didn't happen.

They are not bad owners but equally they are not great ones and therefore not above justified criticism when things start going wrong like they are now.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I didn't think so...missed the attacking stewards, throwing stuff and jumping the segregation but noticed the "standing"

Total disgrace...and the reason i HATE journos.

They ALL saw what happened...yet ignored it

Lying Scum.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Cant find a thing anywhere Romford, was it at half time.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Rasp wrote:Cant find a thing anywhere Romford, was it at half time.
After their goal...before the game and after. Anyone who knows Stoke knows the score...they cannot sell 3k without bringing 300 lads.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Harry Hound wrote: Are you for real? IMO this has everything to do with the owners. We were promised players to take us into the top 6 (where we were for most of last season) but instead we got a load of dross and loanees. We were promised the best stadium migration ever and we got a stadium filled with empty season ticket seats whilst members have to join a fcvving ballet. Fans arguing over standing, fighting in the stands and now fans ejected by hired heavy "snatch squads" and just to finish us off when leaving the stadium fans are kettled and herded around by idiotic security personnel who are well out of their depth.
The club has turned into a fcving circus again and that is bound to affect the players on the pitch.
Yes I am "for real". You have segwayed into discussing issues around the Stadium, which I have not raise. I was clear and specific about the fact that I was talking about the performance against Stoke today. I have not once claimed that Bilic and the team are at issue for the issues in relation t the migration. That would be silly. But Bilic does pick the team, and the players are the ones who are charged with showing ingenuity, guile, craft, and slickness to beat a team like Stoke who are minus their worldy's. Today, the formation was wrong, the Goalkeeper gaffed, the star players failed to shine, and our Captain slowed the game down, and ran down blind avenues. That has NOTHING to do with the owners. And issues like kettling after the game, the ballot, and the security are making no difference to a game like today. That is just illogical, and nonsensical, and utilising a confirmation bias to avoid blaming Bilic, or Noble, or suggesting that the likes of Payet are off the boil. There are major issues with the migration, but to blame the migration fand the owners for today's poor performance, and result is myopic in the extreme. Did Brady suggest to Adrian to play the man and not the ball after coming off the line? Did Brady, Gold and Sullivan demand that Zaza be brought to the club? Do they demand that Bilic play the strange 3-4-3 formation which has reached the end of the line? Do they demand that Noble choose to play conservatively?

Last season was unique in terms of the PL. It gave opportunities to Clubs that won't be on offer this year. Different times. But what is similar is that we did go for two months without winning last November.
TheCoyote

Post by TheCoyote »

Surely we are the only team in the whole country whose 5 man strike force has returned a total of 0 goals?

Will Andy Carroll ever play again or what? I think we should just release him from his contract if he isnt back by January. The limp gimp is pulling the piss
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The bottom line is 2 over 30s run the show in midfield...and they played for the visitors.

Can you see that happening anywhere else this season ?
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

OK the Het-Field do you concede that the owners bear some responsibility for signing a load of dross during the transfer window and delivering essentially nothing and would you also accept that incidents happening off the field must affect the team. The current situation reminds me of the Bond scheme and this ill feeling is toxic and will transfer onto performances on the pitch. However if not for Adrian we'd have got a win today.
Dwight1970

Post by Dwight1970 »

Het-Field on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:03 am

I agree with a lot of what you say if taken in isolation but in fairness I think you cannot take anything that occurs on the pitch this season in isolation when it comes to the reaction of fans to it because so many unique factors are in play this season when it comes to fans feelings.

Many of the 50,000+ fans left Upton Park and bought season tickets with the owners banging on about what a great season and how much we will invest this summer there was a belief that the days of relegation battles and crap football would be something of the past for the foreseeable future. Now when the owners fail to deliver on their publicised claims of what they would do in the transfer market and manager starts the campaign with arguably an inferior squad than we ended the last campaign with and results reflect this it is difficult to argue that what has followed did not contribute to the performance today in much the same way had a £30m striker scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 win and therefore plenty of the blame for that can be directed at the board in much the same way they would be taking the credit had the mythical 20 goals a season striker been here.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Harry Hound wrote:OK the Het-Field do you concede that the owners bear some responsibility for signing a
load of dross during the transfer window and delivering essentially nothing
No, I won't concede that. Tore was Bilic's signing. The paper trail leads to him. Billic has also been waxing lyrical about Zaza on the Evening Standard, and its clear that was his selection. Equally, Ayew was Bilic's choice, and I believe that if the owners had the influence Bony would have been signed, as was believed in 2014. Feghouli, on paper, made sense. Nortveidt was signed in lieu of Alex Song, who Bilic clearly determined didn't have a future at the Club, and didn't seek to make permanent the move, in spite of the owners moving mountains last year to get the best deal for the Club on that one. Billic made these calls, and its easy to sit here and claim that it is the owners who chose the players. Face it, it was Bilic. The same man who deserves the plaudits for buying Payet, Ogbonna and Antonio last summer must take responsibility for Zaza, Tore etc.
Harry Hound wrote:and would you also accept that incidents happening off the field must affect the team. The current situation reminds me of the Bond scheme and this ill feeling is toxic and will transfer onto performances on the pitch. However if not for Adrian we'd have got a win today.
The team has been going through a corrective period which is balancing out our out of the ordinary season last year. Today's result has a lot more to do with a poor performance than the easy excuse of the stadium and the owners. I won't even try and say that the move has not had an impact, but there is too much re-appearing from history in the team which would suggest it has as much to do with the team in a bad run, lacking confidence, and not having the requisite quality, as it does the issues in the stadium.