Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 West Ham Utd (19/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

@dave_boy
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Tottenham Hotspur vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by @dave_boy »

Worryingly optimistic thread :o

Will the Hamilton Hall shut down again thereby losing a whole day of Saturday trade?
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Surprised that some of you on here are putting Arbeloa in your starting line ups. Slav's not picking him - even for the bench, and even though we manage to get as many as 6 of our defenders injured on a regular basis. Apparently they've fallen out

I think he'll start with the same opening line up as he did against Stoke (maybe Reid for Ginge depending on who's least crocked) - in the hope that Ayew - with a couple of matches under his belt, and playing away from home - might be more effective than messing about with Antonio up front

Could be 1-1
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Thanks to yet another f*** up by our ticket office, I am making my way to this game by wheelchair and carer, will have to leave them outside and then somehow try to get to my seat on crutches.

The ticket says I must remain seated but I physically cannot sit in a seat and have now been denied my wheelchair space.

Suppose I could just ditch it but as an away s/t holder why should I?

I don't blame those working in the t/o and a couple of people in there are true supporters and top class, but the place is a complete mess and it must be a nightmare working there at the mo.
Vivati

Post by Vivati »

With a couple of injuries (hopefully) back this gives us a chance to take make a key change to the front line to address a key issue - namely Payet's lack of tracking back/ lucklustre attempts.

Payet is by far our best player creatively but he doesn't contribute enough defensively to be playing down that wing and often drifts about waiting for the ball. The answer to this is Ayew who as we saw last week is more than willing to come deep and collect the ball and track back a bit - Ayew is also wasted up top unless we play him alongside someone. Moving Payet centrally and Ayew out left lets Payet do his thing and drift as much as he likes without leaving us light on the break and defensively in general.

The disadvantages to this are losing the back three and the attacking wingbacks but as we seem unwilling to actually use the width having two attacking wingbacks gives us i don't see much loss.

Ideally I'd line up like this:

----------------------- Carroll -----------------------------

Ayew -------------Payet------------- Antonio ----

--------------- Obiang ---- Kouyate -----------------

Cresswell Ogbonna Reid Fernandes/ Arbeloa

------------------------ Adrien -----------------------------

No idea if Bilic will play Arbeloa at this point hence Fernandes. Incredibly harsh on Lanzini too but we need an extra DM against Spurs - he would slot in there normally. Carroll allows this to work by holding up play and dragging players away allowing Ayew and Antonio to be the real goal threat who are far more fluid and can swap wings pulling the defence all over the shop.

Without Carroll we need another player who can hold the ball up in that central role - on paper you'd say its the perfect role for zaza taking his focus off scoring but tbh Fletcher looked just as capable of bringing the ball down and bringing others into play. Personally I think we screwed ourselves by not getting Benteke in the window - he'd have been perfect as a replacement outlet when Carroll inevitably gets crocked.

Alternatively if bilic doesnt trust any of the strikers enough, and who can blame him at this point, then we could bring back the old diamond w Ayew and Antonio breaking wide:

----------------Ayew----Antonio---------------

--------------------Payet--------------------------

------------- Kouyate Lanzini-----------------

---------------------Obiang-----------------------

Cresswell Ogbonna Reid Fernandes

----------------------Adrien-----------------------

Keep Adrien in - to drop him now would be a big confidence blow - if he has another stinker then hook him.
Last edited by Vivati on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz »

Doc H Ball wrote:Thanks to yet another **** up by our ticket office, I am making my way to this game by wheelchair and carer, will have to leave them outside and then somehow try to get to my seat on crutches.

The ticket says I must remain seated but I physically cannot sit in a seat and have now been denied my wheelchair space.

Suppose I could just ditch it but as an away s/t holder why should I?

I don't blame those working in the t/o and a couple of people in there are true supporters and top class, but the place is a complete mess and it must be a nightmare working there at the mo.
If you need any help inside or outside the ground, drop me a PM.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

sanchoz wrote: If you need any help inside or outside the ground, drop me a PM.
Thanks mate but should be okay getting there early and leaving after all the fuss has died down. As I've said on here a few times, fans of all Clubs have been brilliant to me since all this **** happened.

One good thing about our stadium is the resources for the disabled (apart from being miles from anywhere), I just wish the Club would fund an appropriate t/o.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

strangely optimistic for this.

Reckon we'll put in a proper work rate and sneak something from this.
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

If Reid and Collins are a bit under the weather then i wholeheartedly support giving Oxford a run out.

He needs a chance and this could be it
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Post by sanchoz »

europeanscum wrote:If Reid and Collins are a bit under the weather then i wholeheartedly support giving Oxford a run out.

Injured. High ankle sprain according to http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2016 ... tment-room" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

europeanscum wrote:If Reid and Collins are a bit under the weather then i wholeheartedly support giving Oxford a run out.

sanchoz wrote: Injured. High ankle sprain according to http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2016 ... tment-room" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, as you were...
Modern
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Modern »

Spurs have a few injuries for this one also, hopefully some will clear and no one else will get injured playing internationals.

Walker got injured against Arsenal but was still called up by England, who knows what will happen there.
Trippier seemed to have some eye issue as he came on in goggles
Alderweireld still recovering from nerve damage to his knee, hopefully he'll be back but unknown
Davies is out
Dembele also seems to be managing a problem with his foot.
Son has confirmed he has been playing with an injury for a few weeks now.
Lamela has missed our last few games with a hip injury.
Janssen went off with a concussion last night and obviously Kane is only just back.

On the plus side Sissoko is back from suspension, though I'm unsure which side this is a plus for!

Edit: Forgot about Dele Alli, he looks like he's out as well and according to physioroom Rose also has a knock.
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

It's West Ham, the result could easily be 0-3 to us, as it could 3-3, or 4-0 to them. We give it right go like we did v Chelsea in the cup and we will come away with a result.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

So who are the '3 at the back' if Ginge, Oxford and Reid are out?

Kouyate, Ogbonna and ?
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Korea Hammer wrote:So who are the '3 at the back' if Ginge, Oxford and Reid are out?

Kouyate, Ogbonna and ?
Nordtveit? I saw on here that Masuaku might be back too. Could he slot in there?
Grandad Hammer

Post by Grandad Hammer »

Laugh if you will but I dreamt last night that we won 3-0!
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

3-0 to Spuds.

We'll give them the space and time that they've been denied in their recent poorish run.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 618 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Grandad Hammer wrote:Laugh if you will but I dreamt last night that we won 3-0!
:lol:
HammerInMaryland

Post by HammerInMaryland »

Really tough game. We need two up front. I know Adrian will start, but hoping that it is Randolph. Here is my best guess.

-----------------Adrian----------------------
----Kouyate---Reid-----Ogbanna-----
Antonio-Obiang-Lanzini-Cresswell
------------------Payet----------------------
-------------Sakho-Ayew-----------------

Let Obiang rear guard and Lanzini be adventurous. Give Payet more real estate to maneuver. Hoping Sakho and Ayew can actually score.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I reckon we'll play well and at least get a point. Can see Awey playing a big part
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

HammerInMaryland wrote:Really tough game. We need two up front. I know Adrian will start, but hoping that it is Randolph. Here is my best guess.

-----------------Adrian----------------------
----Kouyate---Reid-----Ogbanna-----
Antonio-Obiang-Lanzini-Cresswell
------------------Payet----------------------
-------------Sakho-Ayew-----------------

Let Obiang rear guard and Lanzini be adventurous. Give Payet more real estate to maneuver. Hoping Sakho and Ayew can actually score.
For the record, I think this is our strongest team and exactly how I want us to set up! Sakho back in would give us the energy and defending from the front, taking out the ponderous Noble and having Payet central, full backs overlapping we would be a different proposition in my opinion :scarfer: