Manchester Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (27/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: Manchester United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Estuary »

But it's the constant standing around pointing. It's almost as if he has two personas, one that can run around and get stuck in, the other is one who stands and points.
He can't read the game without standing around in the centre of the park.

I see it like this. No Noble "standing around pointing" and Tottenham's Son ghosts past our midfield twice in exactly the same fashion and we loose a lead and get zip from the game we should have won. Noble "standing around pointing" and we get a point and almost nick it v Manchester Utd. I think he adds far more than is obvious to the eye.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by James P »

My view was that Collins thought he was holding some sort of line and let Zlatan run thinking he was going offside not realising Oggy was 5 yards deeper than him. I could be wrong though.

No one came out of it covered in glory regardless.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

James P wrote:My view was that Collins thought he was holding some sort of line and let Zlatan run thinking he was going offside not realising Oggy was 5 yards deeper than him. I could be wrong though.

No one came out of it covered in glory regardless.
That's about the size of it, Collins thought he was last man, but got done by Ogbonna not pushing up, a killer pass from Pogba, and Zlatan being tall enough to put some welly on the header. Randolph had no chance at all.

I thought we were poor first half, but got stronger and stronger in the second half especially due to Ayew coming on for Lanzini, we went for it and it nearly came off.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

fjthegrey wrote:He did move his hand away though.

And one of the worlds best strikers managed to elude our scarcely used backup CB. And the pass was top drawer exceptional as well. I can forgive it.
Our "scarcely used" CB has played 200 minutes more this season than our scarcely used GK, but you can forgive one and not the other? :wink:

Personally, I think Randolph should have been off his line more quickly which would have given him a better chance of blocking it.As it was I don't think he had a chance.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Estuary wrote:That's about the size of it, Collins thought he was last man, but got done by Ogbonna not pushing up, a killer pass from Pogba, and Zlatan being tall enough to put some welly on the header. Randolph had no chance at all.
The only chance Randolph had was if it had hit him
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

Personally, I think Randolph should have been off his line more quickly which would have given him a better chance of blocking it.As it was I don't think he had a chance
I think he knew he was ****ed the minute the flag didn't go up. That's not where you want to see Zlatan get the ball, seven yards out with no pressure on him.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I like Noble, but let's not forget we played well for 88 minutes without him away Spurs and had a fairly deserved 2-1 lead

I wonder what would have happened to the starting eleven at Old Trafford if we had held on for the win or even a point at WHL

I don't think Noble should have come back in the team and we should have kept the same team (bar Collins for Reid)

Once we get the next two games out of the way, and we have an easier run of fixtures, i would like to see the same side v Spurs given another run out to see how it works against more beatable teams
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Eggchaser wrote:Our "scarcely used" CB has played 200 minutes more this season than our scarcely used GK, but you can forgive one and not the other? :wink:
Yes I can. Goalkeepers form is far less prone to wild fluctuations based on playing time. Outfield players need consistent game time to reach optimum levels of sharpness and conditioning, whereas keepers can go games without having to do that much. It's all about being ready when the moment comes.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I like Noble, but let's not forget we played well for 88 minutes without him away Spurs and had a fairly deserved 2-1 lead
You could argue that had Noble been introduced with 5 minutes to go against Spurs we might not have lost.
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

HammerMan2004 wrote:You could argue that had Noble been introduced with 5 minutes to go against Spurs we might not have lost.
Would go so far as to say we would not have lost in that scenario but it is all if's and but's, generally we have a bare bones squad to compete at PL level. We all know why.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Estuary wrote: I think he knew he was ****ed the minute the flag didn't go up. That's not where you want to see Zlatan get the ball, seven yards out with no pressure on him.
There is always that too :D
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

I don't think we played that well against Spurs. We scored from 2 set pieces and had only 33% possession, mustered 3 shots on goal to Tottenham's 6 and for the 10 minutes after Lanzini put as ahead aside (where we looked a real threat on the counter) they totally dominated us.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Manchester United
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130526

Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Manchester Utd
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130523
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Manchester United
Keepers, defences, refs. It's all against us. I'm fed up. The ball just seems to fall wrongly for us, whether it's a defender getting in the way or the 'keeper making a superhuman save; or one of our defenders having a momentary lapse of concentration. Guaranteed most of those shots go in if it's any other team, via a deflection, hand, arse, own goal, whatever. The refs seem to delight in not giving us any decisions.
Damn those defenders getting in the way...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

There's a few of belters in there this week, Ace! I enjoyed the Kipling-esque post.
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

pure gold

"In the match commentary they had time to introduce the debate that there is 'diving' and then there is 'acting to avoid an overenthusiastic tackle'. Should contact have to be made for a free kick to be awarded? Should a player have to leave his leg planted firmly on the ground and risk serious injury? Even if the free kick was not awarded, does the ref have to book Pogba for diving when he was clearly acting to avoid injury?"

Read more at http://kumb.com/story.php?id=130526

:lol:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

irving boleyn wrote:I believe the Club coaches got to Stratford about 1.20. Without a stop. (Official stop!)

Thats about a 6 1/2 hour journey.
I was on the Hornchurch coach and got back to drop off point 02:20. Got in at 03:10.

It was a little testing on the M6 :P
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Mate of mine from Bournemouth is a manc season ticket holder and goes on the South West branch coach.

Stops all over the shop and still got in at midnight, must know a quick way out.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I love the Fan Cam linked back up the thread with the Manc saying referees are no longer intimidated at Old Trafford, as if they should be and it's just not fair now.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote: Only sour point of the day for me were a few fans around me ripping into Sakho when he went to ground prior to be subbed ("Get up you lazy ****" etc), despite him gesturing straight away he needed to come off the moment he lost the ball.

Well said. I did turn around and shout that he's bloody injured. Idiots.