Manchester Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (27/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: Manchester United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Yea Why Not »

steps wrote:
Hmm...
He's moving sideways so naturally your arms are not going to be straight by your side. The ball was smashed from 2 yards. Obviously no attempt to intentionally move arms either. Correct decision
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

brooking1966 wrote:
Crazy talk, Noble is bang average full stop, smell the coffee jeeez :asleep:

Nothing crazy about it, just observant.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Yea Why Not wrote:[

He's moving sideways so naturally your arms are not going to be straight by your side. The ball was smashed from 2 yards. Obviously no attempt to intentionally move arms either. Correct decision

Agreed. Not a pen for me. But at least it was a question worth asking the Ref, as opposed to their epileptic shouts of HANDBALL when a ball hit Noble on the thigh. Embarrassing.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

fmgod wrote:Did MOTD show the stone wall Rojo red card? Probably not, can't believe more wasn't made of that, instant red every day of the week.
It should have been at least a booking for sure. But then we've seen Rooney see red for a similar tackle to Cresswell's in the past. Rooney don't go to ground but they were pretty similar imo

Ref had a good game yesterday. Sadly enough, I actually think that's why the match thread is reasonably short.
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

apart from Ayew's cameo (he's looking better with every game), and Fletcher for a while, didn't we have no new signings today.

Shame we got hooked into fluffing our squad for the Europa campaign instead of improving the first eleven in the summer.

Great result and good game of football.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Also booking Pogba for for that dive was spot on, and the special needs one's reaction just summed him up
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Looking back on that day out, it's a mixed bag. I am mainly grateful that the trains worked. Sat next to three cockney reds moaning about Pogba. That's the difference. They complain about a £90 million player who looked fairly average, though he did set up their goal with a sublime pass, while we complain about Mark Noble...
Overall, it was a terrific display against a team that is high quality and relentlessly good at passing with some real pace and strength up front and down the flanks. We coped remarkably well and never looked like we going to collapse.
The worry, thinking about the Arsenal game, is that we still made too many mistakes. I'm not picking on Mark but he made at least three mistakes that put sudden pressure on our team. Somehow our midfield looks a lot more cohesive without him. Obiang was immense yesterday. I'm not sure Fletcher is the whole answer to our striking problems but he looks a lot more focused than anyone else if Sakho isn't fit. Diafra gave us pace and strength that all our other options lack. Good to see Ayew. He is also a grown-up. Strong and positive and able to operate in lots of different areas.
Still too many mistakes, not enough possession, but we are now competitive with the best. If Dimitri and Lanzini can start chipping in with goals and if Ayew/Sakho can get going then we will climb up the league. Certainly, the spirit seems to be returning.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Yea Why Not wrote:
Ref had a good game yesterday. Sadly enough, I actually think that's why the match thread is reasonably short.
I agree the ref had a good game, there will always be things that people don't agree with - sometimes the angle an official sees something from in real time means they get things wrong - but yesterdays game it was more fans bias IMO. There were a couple of decisions I thought he had got wrong in real time but the replay showed him to be correct. The penalty shout by us for handball would have been harsh, though a few years ago it might have been given on occasions (depending on the ref).
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Oh, and by the way. Payet. We almost take it for granted, but he was in his own class again yesterday. No idea of his stats but whenever he got the ball you felt something could happen. OK a couple of moments when he didn't track back and we are still waiting for him to score like he did last season, but his passing short and long, his set-pieces and his movement with and without the ball is outstanding. Great to hear our fans getting behind him again.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Ogbonna and Obiang were both excellent for me. Joint MOTM.

Randolph doesn't get it. He's largely at fault for our goal, he should have saved it but pulled his hand away, incorrectly anticipating the ball going wide.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Very harsh on Randolph there. He has a very good game and made some very good stops. The goal was down to Ginger Pele losing Zlatan and Ogbonna then not getting round to cover Ginges mistake.

Very good result and surprising one too. More surprising that people are still so negative on here despite a draw at Old Stratford.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

He did move his hand away though.

And one of the worlds best strikers managed to elude our scarcely used backup CB. And the pass was top drawer exceptional as well. I can forgive it.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Collins caught badly for their goal. The larger the gaps between his games, the more concerned I become when he plays. I love him but feel he doesnt have much left to offer at this level. We should be starting to lay the foundations with him and put him through his badges and get him working with the likes of Oxford, Burke. And the young defenders clisely.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

fjthegrey wrote:Ogbonna and Obiang were both excellent for me. Joint MOTM.

Randolph doesn't get it. He's largely at fault for our goal, he should have saved it but pulled his hand away, incorrectly anticipating the ball going wide.
He didn't pull his hands away from saving it. He had no chance, turned and winced hoping it went wide/ hit the post. The idea that he moved his hands away from saving it wasn't even mentioned on the live commentary, half time or full time analysis. Maybe he should have come for the initial Pogba pass but that goal is on Collins for sure

And Obiang excellent?! Personally I thought he was terrible yesterday. Especially in possession. Opinions eh
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Randolph could've at least attempted a save. Certainly looks like he pulled away from the ball watching the replay now. Not sure what he was thinking there.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

wildkard wrote:Randolph could've at least attempted a save. Certainly looks like he pulled away from the ball watching the replay now. Not sure what he was thinking there.
Slow motion replays do keepers no favours. From 2 yards away in real time that would be past him in no time. It was right in the corner
Colours never run

fjthegrey wrote:Ogbonna and Obiang were both excellent for me. Joint MOTM.

Ogbonna was my MotM.

Overall I thought we played really well. A number of times I noted we produced good incisive one touch football inkeeping with recent weeks since Palace popping the ball around at times when we do get possession. A few occasions in the first half we worked decent opportunities. Signs like that tell me we are improving week after week and the confidence is coming back in to the side.

Sakho made a big difference to us too and gutted he's had to go off injured as he was causing their defence all kinds of havoc in the air or running off them. Jones and Rojo looked uncomfortable throughout trying to deal with him. A real pain in the arse for defenders. Was great to see him back briefly again.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

[quote="Yea Why Not"quote="steps

Hmm...

He's moving sideways so naturally your arms are not going to be straight by your side. The ball was smashed from 2 yards. Obviously no attempt to intentionally move arms either. Correct decision[/quote]

The arm blocked the ball and prevented the pass for a "goal scoring opportunity". The defenders arm position and centre of balance are pretty much the same as this call against Tomkins that was considered a nailed on penalty by everyone commenting on the match. BTW Suarez won a fair few penalties over the time he played in the premier league with very similar moves, enough to make me believe he cynically played for the penalty.

http://media.thethaovanhoa.vn/flv/tung3/Gerard10.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems it's still "one law for them" but we're used to it and nothing changes, contentious decisions against the "big clubs" will always go against us.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Enjoyed it yesterday. Great atmosphere and a good point, all things considered. Thought we matched them for most of the 90 and played ok in parts. Now onto Wednesday....
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

We can take a lot of heart from the last 2 games. There's some obvious things that need to be sorted but we are at least looking like a team who is dangerous and has some belief. Ride these next couple of games out and we can really look to push on.

Most annoying thing for me yesterday (and apologies if I repeat whats gone before, not had time to go through the thread yet), is that the goal we did concede was the most preventable again of all their opportunities.

You can point the finger at either party, but it really was poor. We have nothing to fear but our own ability to shoot ourselves in the foot. That ladies and gentlemen is the West Ham way