EFLCQF: Manchester Utd 4-1 West Ham Ut d (30/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread (EFL Cup)

Post by Gerblatz »

On reflection, last night's was a poor result, but against a team more fired up for it and with players that have more quality, it's not one to get too hung up on. I feel for our loyal support that put in the time, money and effort; to be rewarded with such sub-standard performances.

We always seem to be an injury or absence away from a stark contrast in performances - it's hard to fathom what else it could be to make such a difference between Sunday and Wednesday's games.

My own view - and let's not forget Arsenal got done in their own back yard last night in this too - is that given our league position, there was no way the players were going to be told to bust a gut for this. I don't know how much there is in both the Cresswell and Antonio injuries, but I will be surprised if they don't start against Arsenal. I think there are competing priorities - league game Sunday, got a well earned point; EFL Cup Wednesday, got a well earned and crafted defeat. It seems cynical, but I do think there are times when this modus operandi is deployed. It sounds like Wenger got it all wrong last night too...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
Much better than Sunday mate .

We were ahead of the coaches the whole way bar when we stopped for a cuppa at Norton Calnes services . We overtook them again by the toll .

Back in Brentwood for 2-00 am .

Got flashed by a speed camera on the M1 mind you . Headbanger
Apparently the Hornchurch Brigade got back at 02.30...happy days after Sunday.

We went over to Sheffield.and got back to Brook Street at 01.30
Patito

Post by Patito »

Harry Hound wrote:
I don't normally get wound up on forums but your response is pretty ****ing lame.

I never referred to Reid who obviously was signed long before Bilic and is a proven WHU player and I consider him to be one of ours, Lanzini was great signing and nothing to do with Bilic, Payet the best signing since PDC and also not signed by Bilic.

If you want a list of foreign dross here we go and this list is not comprehensive, Tore, Zaza, Nordveit, Eminieke, Jelavic (though a lot better than Zaza) Matsuaku, Feghouli (who's no better than Jarvis IMO) etc. etc;

This is what you said - " the team Slav is putting together is full of foreign dross "

Reid, Payet and Lanzini are all 'foreign' first team members.

Perhaps you need to word your posts more clearly.

How on earth have you come to the conclusion that Lanzini and Payet were not Bilic signings? Or are you just spouting nonsense because it suits your agenda?
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

fjthegrey wrote:Harry Hound"Lanzini was great signing and nothing to do with Bilic,
Apart from consistently trying to sign him since he's been a club manager.
He doesn't look like a Bilic signing to me but if he was then it's one he got very right but he's got a lot wrong.

I've seen and heard nothing anywhere to indicate that Bilic was chasing him, this is from the standard the day we got him in 2015, none of the other signings were Bilic signings? :?

"Lanzini has been capped four times by Argentina at U20 level and becomes the club's seventh summer signing after Dimitri Payet, Angelo Ogbonna, Pedro Obiang, Carl Jenkinson, Stephen Hendrie and Darren Randolph."
Patito

Post by Patito »

Harry Hound wrote:
He doesn't look like a Bilic signing to me but if he was then it's one he got very right but he's got a lot wrong.

What are you on about? :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote: We went over to Sheffield.and got back to Brook Street at 01.30
I thought about that after your comments on Sunday but was a little worried about any ice on the roads .

Anfield before Christmas is a pain in the arse, watch us draw them away in the cup as well .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
I thought about that after your comments on Sunday but was a little worried about any ice on the roads .

Anfield before Christmas is a pain in the arse, watch us draw them away in the cup as well .
Not forgetting Spurs are at OT the same day.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Payet not a Bilic signing? Really? I believe he was the first priority to sign when Bilic joined the club. Think even the Dave's themselves have verified that. Lanzini was also a Bilic gamble I believe which was why he was loan initially. Torre and Zaza also Bilic for sure based on where they came from and Bilic own quotes. Mixed bag on the signing front - last year exceptional this year not great so far.

Trying to paint Bilic as only signing **** is quitely frankly crazy considering Payet is without the best signing we have made in a very long time - Ballon D'Or nominee FFS
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

I thought Feghouli did okay yesterday. Okay he made some wrong decisions but at least he looked comfortable on the ball. Man U pressurised every player last night from start to finish with no let up and Sofiane seemed to always have to beat 2 players. In fact , it seemed every one of our players had 2 marking them out of the game. Funny enough, we could have undeservedly drawn that game if Feghouli's shooting had been more on target. What pees me off is that we only made 9 tackles in 93 mins and that is unacceptable from an effort level.
Last edited by Humbug on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

The pressure and pressing from Man Utd last night should have been us as the away side chasing a semi final spot but we were off the boil and got a deserved loss. After their third we threw the towel in and were lethargic.

If we start performing like that in the league, I worry for our manager.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

That was utter dogshit. I don't really know what else to say, even after sleeping on it. There was only ever one team going to win that match. It looked like a schoolboy match at times, and in truth the scoreline flattered us but for a short 10 minute spell at the end of the first half. With each passing game I'm struggling more and more to find the positives in our play. The lack of a decent and reliable striker is killing us, it affects our whole game play and the balance of the team.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

The other thing I cannot reconcile is the blame being put on our owners for not spending enough. I saw some stats saying we have the 15th highest paid squad in the world but that doesn't reflect our performances so far. What it does make clear is that our owner/manager/scouts are spending too much on average players. I suppose its impossible to gauge a players mentality (self-motivation, determination, courage, strive to get better) which seems to be just important attributes as skill. So is it just pot luck nowadays when you spend zillions on players?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I hear this finished 4-1 in the end?
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

hongkonghammer wrote:Payet not a Bilic signing? Really? I believe he was the first priority to sign when Bilic joined the club. Think even the Dave's themselves have verified that. Lanzini was also a Bilic gamble I believe which was why he was loan initially. Torre and Zaza also Bilic for sure based on where they came from and Bilic own quotes. Mixed bag on the signing front - last year exceptional this year not great so far.

Trying to paint Bilic as only signing **** is quitely frankly crazy considering Payet is without the best signing we have made in a very long time - Ballon D'Or nominee FFS
I thought that Bielsa put the Dave's on to Payet?

The main issue however is the team is a whole lot weaker than last season and the clubs beginning to resemble a circus again and last nights performance was on a par with when we got beat 6-0 by Man city with Relegation Roger at centre back.
Bribo
Has liked: 7 likes

Post by Bribo »

Was sneaked into the stretford end biting my tongue yesterday. I thought we looked good at times, still a bit toothless - and we got sucker punched at the beginning of both halves. Fletcher looked good and worked hard. Thought Obiang worked tirelessly.

I'm disappointed but still think there are some good pointers. Maybe too much of an optimist.

Let's go for the FA Cup - more prestigious anyway!!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I hear this finished 4-1 in the end?
Must be great sitting at home in the warm not giving a monkeys...then coming on to this site and posting that.

You may think that makes you look good...but it doesn't fella.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

People are acting like we got tonked by Hull or something.

We played a weakened side, at Old Trafford, against a front 4 of Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Martial and a Rooney fired up by the Charlton record and his feud with the ref.

We weren't great, but 4 days ago we drew there. That seems about par for what anyone should have expected from 2 games up there.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Denbighammer wrote:Zaza's shot was pretty funny.
I said under my breath "Please be a throw in to us" when it went out.

Reminded me of a Geoff Thomas effort years ago for England that hit the corner flag.
In fact, this was worse because Zaza's shot went ****ing backwards! :lol:

We all know he's toast now but that effort was plumbing new depths.
He'll go back to Italy in a straight jacket at the rate, his confidence must be getting more and more wrecked by the week!
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Got back to `London now.

Didn't look to me like we sold out lots of spare seats towards the back
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

I think last night summed up our season...

No forwards, injuries and no quality back up because due to the transfer window....

We can discuss who played well or did not try but I believe the above is the answer. I feel sorry for Fletcher as he needs developing instead of being our loan striker away to Man U. What happened to Ayew?

Still a good night out with the fans and with a quick get away got home to High Wycombe at 12.40.

I do like the potential of Fletcher and Fernandes but need a year or so.