EFLCQF: Manchester Utd 4-1 West Ham Ut d (30/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Moxy

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread (EFL Cup)

Post by Moxy »

I'd stick with Bilic till the end of the season and keep him even if we went down personally. He hasn't become a bad manager over night and is good for our club. I think we've got a lot of problems in the squad atm, Payet looks like he wants out big time and thought his performance last night especially in the second half was disgusting just completely uninterested and trying to make a point. Think a lot of dross needs to go in Jan and we need our core players to really step up, Nobes, Cresswell, Antonio (who had a stinker last night but never goes missing and will work his socks off for the team), hopefully a fit Carroll, Koyate and Adrian. These are the boys who will roll their sleeves up and keep us up I reckon.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Patito wrote:The first difference between Grant's season here and this season, is that Grant didn't have a f***ing outstanding season preceding his toilet season. Bilic did.
Question is how much input was our results on Bilic/Dicks & not the combination of the 'Old Regime' plus the sprinkle of magic from Payet & Lanzini to make us all feel all 'West Hammy' again with bits of skill that Brooking & Devonshire would be proud of.

Roeder had the same. What happened when Roeder stamped his mark on the team in his 2nd season? Relegated. We would have stayed up if Brooking was appointed earlier. Same as that dope McClaren at Newcastle. Acted too late & Benitez couldn't turn it around in time.

What's worrying is SB is not doing the basics right. He's struggling badly.
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

Colours never run wrote:I thought once again it was telling how rudderless we were in midfield both defensively and attacking wise without Noble. We lacked so much composure at times it was embarrassing from the very first whistle to the last.

Losing a lead twice at WHL and getting dicked at Old Trafford either side of a game Noble did play in earning a well deserved point against the same opposition, spoke volumes to me. He influences the team more than people give him credit for. It was crying out for him to come on 2nd half but instead Bilic chose 3 inexperienced players instead.
Totally agree Colours, Its unfortunate but with some players people can only see their faults!
It's only when they're not on the pitch that it's their for all to & see what we're missing!
Not saying he hasn't got weaknesses but people tend to forget his importance to this team.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

fjthegrey wrote:We weren't even that bad last night.

We were playing a fired up Man Utd away in the league cup with a less than full strength team though. :o
What about Accrington Stanley, Astra in UEFA Cup, West Bromwich, Southampton, Stoke, Watford, Middlesbro?

We've played well in the league 90 mins vs Palace, 45 mins vs Sp*rs, 30 minutes vs Watford & brief spells up at Everton. You think that's good enough?
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

Was a lot of dross on the pitch last night. Watching it i thought that pretty much any team in the premiership could have beaten us.

Whats up with Adrian? He seems to be making strange decisions recently...ok fair enough was great seeing him stick one on Ibrahimovic but really? Could have been consequences from that...

Fletcher ran around a lot, that's about it.

Payet looked fed up and uninterested, not sure I can blame him though he is the ONLY source of creativity in that team.

Zaza should just pack it in tbh, request to go home it's just really not working.

Have seen people jumping down Feghoulis throat for the INSTANT shirt swap as soon as the whistle went. To be fair to the bloke though, his agent has some how wangled him the chance of a life time...playing in the premiership with quality oppo...he's gotta take some souvenirs :D

Thought man ure played well, looked up for it, willing to get stuck in.

I dunno how Billic couldn't look at Saturdays performance, look at what united did well and structure the team to that? I suppose it just boils down to the feeling that the league is paramount to us as a club, anything else is a distraction. Shame though, i'd ****ing love to see my team win a cup.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

You do remember who you support right?

This is a West Ham United forum, typically a lower mid table premier league club that flirts with relegation semi regularly. Don't win that often but try to play the game an entertaining way and occasionally put something together that lives long in the memory, like last season.

What are you expecting us to be?
europeanscum

Post by europeanscum »

I have no qualms with the team being a mid table team with a penchant for a relegation battle. I do have qualms with the team going out and looking absolutely disinterested with no fight in them.

Can't understand how after a 1-1 draw against the same team at the same place we didn't go out thinking we had a chance last night?
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

fjthegrey wrote:
Having flogged our home in the spirit of 'progression', I certainly expected us to play a stronger side last night and for the players to be more motivated than they were.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

fjthegrey wrote:You do remember who you support right?

This is a West Ham United forum, typically a lower mid table premier league club that flirts with relegation semi regularly. Don't win that often but try to play the game an entertaining way and occasionally put something together that lives long in the memory, like last season.

Being fed an endless diet of "world class stadium", "taking us to the next level", "marquee strikers" etc has brainwashed many and created to higher expectations. The root to all this is more time has been spent telling us how great the new world will be rather than focusing on what actually makes us great - what goes on on the pitch.

But your summary is the correct one.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

RichieRiv wrote: The root to all this is more time has been spent telling us how great the new world will be rather than focusing on what actually makes us great - what goes on on the pitch.
Spot on .

As for last night, we played ok until we found out we didn't have the players to replace those who went off injured .

Four goals flattered Man Utd a touch - we conceded a couple while chasing the game , no more, no less .
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Colours never run wrote:I thought once again it was telling how rudderless we were in midfield both defensively and attacking wise without Noble. We lacked so much composure at times it was embarrassing from the very first whistle to the last.

Losing a lead twice at WHL and getting dicked at Old Trafford either side of a game Noble did play in earning a well deserved point against the same opposition, spoke volumes to me. He influences the team more than people give him credit for. It was crying out for him to come on 2nd half but instead Bilic chose 3 inexperienced players instead.
Andytheammer wrote:Totally agree Colours, Its unfortunate but with some players people can only see their faults!
It's only when they're not on the pitch that it's their for all to & see what we're missing!
Not saying he hasn't got weaknesses but people tend to forget his importance to this team.
I'd echo this too - I thought we looked all at see without him. What I especially think is a massive plus in Noble's column is that he's a talker and organiser. With Reid as skipper - he's silent. It's why our defence always has a mistake in them in the middle when we play with Reid and Ogbonna, because there's nobody their talking. I said that all summer and I stand by it now - we need a talker in the middle of our defence. I still don't think we've got it.

But Noble in the middle of the park is that guy - when he's on form. When he was off colour early on in the season it seemed like he shrunk away from it a bit for some reason, but it's not surprising to me that as he's started to get some form back and start talking again we've looked more defensively solid. There are other reasons for it, not just him (formation change was much needed to give us extra bodies at the back, Obiang coming in) but the difference in our organisation with him on the pitch and him not on the pitch is enormous.

Not sure I really care about the result last night - a cup run is fine, but even a quarter final is more than we often get in any cup. Manner of the defeat is a bit of a shame, but there's not a lot that can be done about it - Man United actually looked motivated and attacked with verve last night for the first time I've seen them in a long while.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Anyone who listens to and believes the propaganda coming from our consistently disingenuous owners has my sincere pity.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Hang on didnt Roeder have chuff all to spend in his second season?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Zaza's shot was pretty funny.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

fjthegrey wrote:Anyone who listens to and believes the propaganda coming from our consistently disingenuous owners has my sincere pity.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Bad night all round...best part was coming over the Peaks at dusk.

How was the M6 coming home ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:Bad night all round...best part was coming over the Peaks at dusk.

How was the M6 coming home ?
Much better than Sunday mate .

We were ahead of the coaches the whole way bar when we stopped for a cuppa at Norton Calnes services . We overtook them again by the toll .

Back in Brentwood for 2-00 am .

Got flashed by a speed camera on the M1 mind you . Headbanger
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Patito wrote:
Yeah let's get rid of all that foreign dross, let's drop Payet, Lanzini, Reid and the rest of em :thdn:
I don't normally get wound up on forums but your response is pretty ****ing lame.

I never referred to Reid who obviously was signed long before Bilic and is a proven WHU player and I consider him to be one of ours, Lanzini was great signing and nothing to do with Bilic, Payet the best signing since PDC and also not signed by Bilic.

If you want a list of foreign dross here we go and this list is not comprehensive, Tore, Zaza, Nordveit, Eminieke, Jelavic (though a lot better than Zaza) Matsuaku, Feghouli (who's no better than Jarvis IMO) etc. etc;
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Harry Hound wrote:Lanzini was great signing and nothing to do with Bilic,
Apart from consistently trying to sign him since he's been a club manager.
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

fjthegrey wrote:You do remember who you support right?

West Ham have enjoyed high league finishes, cup wins and generally very good seasons throughout their history. I dont see anything wrong with any fan hoping to see that on a more consistent basis rather than every X amount of years. Nothing at all...

if thats not your expectation than I feel a little sorry for you.