Liverpool 2-2 West Ham Utd (11/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Re: Liverpool vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

-DL- wrote:I thought Noble had his best game for us in quite a while to be fair. Yet the same old faces are still slagging him off. That cruncher on Milner was Noble of old.
plus 1
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Nordtviet did alright I thought.

Also Ayew played an absolute killer pass to put Antonio in on goal just after we went 1-0 down.

I didn't think any of our players had a particularly bad game. Randolph played well but that one mistake cost us.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Has we ever had such a versatile player as Antonio? Unbelievable how he managed to slot into 3 maybe 4 different positions yesterday and not look out of place. Lovren & Matip couldn't handle him in the first half. His power & energy run then ragged and despite being isolated, he managed to create good chances. Would love to see him partnered up top with AC, chasing down that second ball. Absolute machine.

Again, I failed to see what Ayew is adding to our team. Provided no real attacking threat yesterday and left Nordtveit out to dry a couple of times. Not sure he really knows his role in the team and seems to be struggling because of it. Maybe it is time to switch the formation and play him off Andy Carroll? Seem to be recall him playing off Gomis etc at Swansea so must be used to that type of game.

Randolph being pushed our for the interview was bad darts. Yeah he had a big factor in the game but to ask for his feelings after he's possibly cost himself first team football is pretty shitty. Why not get Noble as the captain out there?

All in all, it was a real battling display. For the first time this season, it really looked like they cared and wanted to work to get a result for Slav. Even Payet doing a bit of tracking back.

Roll on Wednesday. Carroll to start up top with Antonio partnering him please and lets batter them into submission.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Really good result last night.
Left very happy after a positive workmanlike performance. Whilst I was nervous at the end and we were under the cosh a bit, I really didn't feel like we'd concede a third.

Can't disagree with what's been said on he last few pages.
Antonio (my MOTM) run his socks off, Ogbonna and Reid solid and Payet looked more up for it getting stuck in. Nordveit was realy getting it both barrels from people around me and certainly didn't look convincing. Randolph's save from Henderson was top drawer and certainly made up for his disappointing error. Feel more confident with him in goal though and I think we should stick with him.

Loved it when we got the free kick that led to Payet's goal, my lad and I and everyone around us all acted like we'd just got a penalty and to score from that free kick was bloody brilliant as the expectation level felt so high! Perfect moment.

My lad loved Antonio's goal and the celebration afterwards.
Was so proud of my Max yesterday. He's 11 and only went to his first game last year (coincidentally, the 3-0 win at Anfield) and he's been to a few since. In the past when we've conceded he's got really dejected but yesterday he was proper West Ham, singing Bubbles with everybody when we conceded early doors. He's learnt to deal with disappointment so West Ham United have taught him a good life lesson! :)

On the whole, a really good day that I feel could set us up nicely for the next two games to duly take a bit of pressure off us with the two away games after Christmas.

Come On You Irons!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Only one other team has gone to Anfield this season and come away with anything .

Yesterday was a really good point .
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

^^ Commentator said yesterday that they hadn't lost in 23 games there?
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

the pink palermo wrote:Only one other team has gone to Anfield this season and come away with anything .

Yesterday was a really good point .
Yep. I thought we'd be in for a pasting, not least because Liverpool were also looking for a reaction after a bad defeat. Great to see that the spirit is still there, which was in question.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Yes. Suppose it was ok :scarfer:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

A ploy I haven't seen but would like to see for Payets free kicks.

Its our free kick, so our players can (and should) stand about a metre in front of the defensive wall, blocking out the view to the ball and Payets run up. The defensive wall can't do a thing because they are 10 metres back and can't come forward. Meanwhile, we form a mini wall at 9 metres or even less. Our wall needs to duck out the way when the ball is kicked.

It's not cheating and I think it would cause a fair bit of panic for the defensive side. By clever placement of the mini wall, the goalkeepers view could also be blocked.

Another "attacking" wall for a free kick is to form a vee shape away from the ball - about 1-2 metres. Again this would block the defensive views, and could even give Payet a guide as to the curve of the shot.

Both of these walls are legal and because they are within ten metres of the ball, the defensive side cannot come forward and try to get players out of the way.

Mind you, Payet sometimes doesn't need any help of course!
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

steps wrote:Nordtviet did alright I thought.

Also Ayew played an absolute killer pass to put Antonio in on goal just after we went 1-0 down.

I didn't think any of our players had a particularly bad game. Randolph played well but that one mistake cost us.
Agreed, had anyone been out and out poor we would have lost handsomely.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Not always about what you do right though - Nordtveit was conspicuous by his absence on more than a few occasions. For a bloke with no attacking skills he doesn't seem to compensate with positional defensive awareness.

Why was it Reid out on the right prodding away at Mane immediately before Randolph's xmas gift? Because Nordtveit was behind the play. It happens, but then he jogs back, takes up a completely redundant position immediately behind Reid, and proceeds to watch for about 5 seconds while Reid has a couple of nibbles at the ball. He could have done any number of things - move in and help dispossess given the ball gets knocked free a couple of times, move to the byline to block off a potential cross, or - most logically - take up Reid's position in the centre.

It was the fact Reid was pulled out there to cover for an absent right back instead of being sat in front of Randolph - where he may have had an opportunity to have headed the cross clear, or at very least provide another body between Randolph and Origi - that created the situation that led to the goal.

The error is entirely on Randolph - it's a cross that should never have led to anything - but it's an example of some pretty average play contributing to something negative, without it being immediately obvious there's even been some ropey play.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Liverpool
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130570
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

The Old Mile End wrote:A ploy I haven't seen but would like to see for Payets free kicks.

The ploy needs to be getting somebody like Lanzini to make runs along lines of ideal free kick range to draw fouls in the first place, if they challenge they risk a free kick, if they don't they risk something creative.

Once you have a free kick the keeper is caught between a rock and a hard place so the ploy becomes exploiting that.

To cover his top left (as against Arsenal) the keeper cannot stand too centrally else he'd never reach it, but that leaves his right post (as against Liverpool) difficult to reach, given Payets accuracy the keeper can't really properly cover both therefore any save he makes isn't likely to be clean. Best he can really hope for is to push the ball behind for a corner.

So left, right and central runners to capitalise on any rebounds.

The propensity for scoring either directly from a Payet free kick in ideal range, or from a rebound from it, is high enough to be worth playing for them.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

watched the game on my phone in the cinema

Think i might have put a few people off the film when we scored :lol:

Hopefully this is a turning point, but we thought that after Old Trafford, and after ***** Hart Lane. We'll only know in time, but that point doesn't make Weds or Sat any less crucial, it just negates our terrible goal difference

Felt for Randolph, that was a bad error. The save he made though really was world class, and not many keepers would have got anywhere near it

Pleased to see Carroll get another good run out. He looks sharp. Hopefully he will start on Wednesday
psychoscoredthelot

The Old Mile End wrote:A...
i like youre thinking here
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
djclipz
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Just saw the post match interview with Randolph and Antonio.. :lol: they probably shouldn't have bothered asking him, he was in such a bad mood and not interested at all.
psychoscoredthelot

from the oppositions view

'"Liverpool over the last few years have had the following final tally of points; 63, 58, 52, 61, 84, 62, 60. In seven years since the near administration there has been one exceptional season (based largely around one exceptional player) and a load of poor finishes besides. Our average (including the one exceptional year) has been 63 points. Without it, 59 points. Remove the best and worst results 61 points. Remove the worst result, 64 points average. My point is, that over the last seven years, since administration, Liverpool have been a bang average side, routinely getting around the 60 point mark. I am asking, not unreasonably, what are your expectations for the season?"
- DonkeyWan
Read more at http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130570 ... IfDmDef.99'" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

get to the point
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Liverpool
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130570
The video with "the story of the game" when Antonio scores 'he's offside, he must have been offside'

:lol:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

A great result and one I would have taken all day long before kick off. Can't give Randolph too much grief for the gaff that led to Origi's equalizer after he made a worldy from Henderson - even Phil Neville said its was a sensational save, the best he's seen for years and save of the season .
Two of our scapegoat players this season, Nordveit and Noble both had decent games I thought. Antonio was here, he was there, in fact he was every ****ing where. However, Winston Reid and Pedro Obiang were immense yesterday.
Hopefully a turning point and two winnable games at home give us a chance to move away from the drop zone but not counting any chickens yet. We are better than 17th without a doubt, but the table doesn't lie - now is the time to prove we are better than the table suggests.

Good to hear Shearer commenting that the team were playing for Bilic.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

It will come as no surprise to anyone but Redknapp Jnr made my blood boil before kick off talking about us.

Two gems:

"Last season when west ham came here, they were in great form" You mean coming off the back of two home league defeats to Leicester and Bournemouth, 3 games into the season?

"Payet's been underperforming" - having created the most chances in Europe?

How long would it take to research these points? 5 minutes? It's such laziness and frankly dogshite broadcasting.