Liverpool 2-2 West Ham Utd (11/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Re: Liverpool vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by dodger »

We could have won that. Harsh to blame Randolph but I do think it's now time to give Adrian another chance.

Still, it's a much needed point in terms of our confidence as much as anything else.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Colours never run wrote:Loved the moment Noble never gave up what looked like a hopeless situation with the ball running out towards out of play and beating Milner to the ball before earning the luck he deserved by playing it off the corner flag which eventually resulted in a corner.

Proper Captains performance today and thank **** Bilic resisted all temptation to sub him off this time. He made sure the team was focused till the very end.
What I couldn't understand was, after all that hard work and being left on splendid isolation, how he couldn't get a ball into the box.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I thought it was a great battling point, and on another day we would gave had all 3. Several of our players gas their best match in a while. Payet looked a lot more interested and tracked back well. Ogbonna had one of his best matches for us, made good decisions and was very effective. I thought Antonio deserved t be nan of the natch, He gave lovren and Matip Kittens with his movement, and took the goal well. When moved to right wing back he was more responsible than in previous matches and then when pushed up off Carrol did a decent job of pressing and providing an outlet. Obiang was excellent. I though Reid was caught ball watching a bit to start the match, but grew into the game after 20 mins or so and was a colossus in the 2nd half. It wasn't Noble's best match nor his worst, but I though the fame passed Lanzini by. I thought Nordtveit was awful at right back and ok when moved to the right side of a back 3.
I thought Randolph was more vocal and better at organizing than Adrian, and hatched his howler with the wave of the season. He is adequate,and I'm not sure signing Begovic on loan makes us that much better but if there is any chance of us getting Hart in the summer we should go all out.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Billydinho wrote:
What I couldn't understand was, after all that hard work and being left on splendid isolation, how he couldn't get a ball into the box.
Exactly this.

Thought he did well though, today but Obiang in the middle of the park was fantastic. He has been the one consistent bright spot over the last few weeks.

Ayew i thought looked really unfit - clearly some rust still there after the injury which i hope falls off soon.

Carroll looked sharp - touch is there but when we play him he needs support.

Great to see Dimi with a smile on his face again
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

Lots of hard work, but make no mistake the same issue are still there and need sorting.

Their first was lax defending from us at best and their second was simply a goalkeeping error. Both of our goals were aided by poor defending from the opposition.

First half we were decent but second half we were far too deep and offered nothing offensively.

Promising that the players worked hard and showed some real effort but we need to back that up with some quality and fast.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Good result,new keeper in the summer if we stay up.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Colours never run wrote:Loved the moment Noble never gave up what looked like a hopeless situation with the ball running out towards out of play and beating Milner to the ball before earning the luck he deserved by playing it off the corner flag which eventually resulted in a corner.

Proper Captains performance today and thank **** Bilic resisted all temptation to sub him off this time. He made sure the team was focused till the very end.
Deluded :eh:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

brooking1966 wrote:
Deluded :

Shhhh :asleep:
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

Douthy wrote:If we had held on for 10 mins against Spurs we'd of taken 5 points from Spurs, Man Utd and Liverpool away and Arsenal at Home.

Instead we've taken 2 from 12.

Margins and that.
If we had bought a top class striker and top level right back......margins and that :D

We could go on with ifs and buts about just about anything at the club presently but it is what it is and I don't see too much changing for the foreseeable future
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Interesting (unless I have missed something) that Zaza, Feghouli, Calleri, and Arbeloa were nowhere to be seen, with a group of youngsters promoted. Perhaps are we on the cusp of a major winter clear-out?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Het-Field wrote:Interesting (unless I have missed something) that Zaza, Feghouli, Calleri, and Arbeloa were nowhere to be seen, with a group of youngsters promoted. Perhaps are we on the cusp of a major winter clear-out?

I thought exactly the same when looking at the line-up prior to kick off. We definitely didn't miss any of them today.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Colours never run wrote:

I thought exactly the same when looking at the line-up prior to kick off. We definitely didn't miss any of them today.
Agreed. I suspect time is ticking on Zaza, Calleri, and Tore, and they are certainties to be gone after Christmas. Arbeloa also seemed to be a "one night only" deal last weekend. If these free up wages, and potentially allow for the influx of good quality players than Im all for it.
Colours never run

Aye. Calleri's the only one I would have liked to have seen more of, but I won't lose any sleep if his deals cut short. Don't think he was given a fair crack of the whip to justify himself, the other loans I've seen more than enough of now to never want to see again. Still open minded about Feghouli and at least he's a Free.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Colours never run wrote:Aye. Calleri's the only one I would have liked to have seen more of, but I won't lose any sleep if his deals cut short. Don't think he was given a fair crack of the whip to justify himself, the other loans I've seen more than enough of now to never want to see again. Still open minded about Feghouli and at least he's a Free.
If situations had prevailed differently Calleri could have 5 goals across all competitions, but that just didn't happen. He seemed to be able to find the right positions.

Agree on Feg. Its a shame that he really has struggled to impose himself.
Colours never run

I think we see the same player in Calleri.

Feghouli baffles me as I see his quality at times, just not had enough playing time to get any consistency going. Injuries seemed to dog him throughout his first half a season and then overlooked for young lads like Fernandes. Not that I don't rate the boy, happy to see him play out wide, just a little odd he'd get the nod ahead of someone as experienced and as skillful as Feghouli. Still, 2nd half of the season may well be a different kettle of fish. I don't think we've see anywhere near the best of him yet.
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3010 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote:Fantastic point .
Jinxed wrote:
At last. Absolutely fantastic point
Just got back in , my overall take was todays showing was a good reaction to last weeks disappointment , more than the score it was a performance approaching the required standard .The work rate was vastly better than last week and although it's fair to say either side could have won it, a draw was just about right .
From the off the travelling support made it clear they were right behind the Manager, something he was clearly grateful for and the players for once raised their game collectively .Reid was my stand out performer on the day, and there's no doubt in my mind were he English he would be getting a call from Gareth Southgate .Randolph redeemed himself with a brilliant save following his brainfart moment that gifted them a goal .
A point at Anfield though, in any season, for any visiting team is a good result .Great turnout by our support though bearing in mind it's a third visit to the Northwest in about a fortnight , and it was truly heart warming, dare I say it, traditional to hear the support given to a Manager who has had a torrid time of late , something the Chairman should take note of .

Great point West Ham .
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

dodger wrote:We could have won that. Harsh to blame Randolph but I do think it's now time to give Adrian another chance.

Still, it's a much needed point in terms of our confidence as much as anything else.
Felt the same after he fumbled that cross.

Great point though.
Colours never run

He should have been back in a few games ago. He's the better of the two Keepers, I'm in no doubt about that.
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Colours never run wrote:I think we see the same player in Calleri.

Feghouli baffles me as I see his quality at times, just not had enough playing time to get any consistency going. Injuries seemed to dog him throughout his first half a season and then overlooked for young lads like Fernandes. Not that I don't rate the boy, happy to see him play out wide, just a little odd he'd get the nod ahead of someone as experienced and as skillful as Feghouli. Still, 2nd half of the season may well be a different kettle of fish. I don't think we've see anywhere near the best of him yet.
The injury hasn't helped Feg. He started the pre-season well, and looked like he could be a good compliment to Payet. However, he has not been able to continue in the same vein. I think you're right, Feg does have more to him than what we have seen, and I wouldn't want to see him fall by the wayside.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Fantastic Result and bloody well played to all.

A point at Liverpool away ? Are you kidding me. With a depleted squad and coming off a really really tough run of games against all the top sides.

MAGNIFICENT ! :crest: