West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: West Ham United v Burnley: Match Thread

Post by Billydinho »

The less said of that game the better.

Burnley love a 'head injury'.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

morganwhu wrote:Was the minutes applause not meant to start on the 12th minute?

The ****ers in the control room even ****ed that one up.

Did anyone else see the young man in a suit getting physically assaulted by three 'heavies' (stewards) on the way into the ground yesterday at turnstile C? He was smashed up against the glass facade and then pinned to the floor whilst one of the stewards pinned his head to the concrete floor by putting the full weight of his knee on the fellas head. Outrageous.

When were stewards given such powers? Are they not committing assaults, they are acting like old bill?
I'd encourage you to get in contact with Amanda Jacks of the FSF

07703 519555 or amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

morganwhu wrote:Was the minutes applause not meant to start on the 12th minute?

The ****ers in the control room even ****ed that one up.

Did anyone else see the young man in a suit getting physically assaulted by three 'heavies' (stewards) on the way into the ground yesterday at turnstile C? He was smashed up against the glass facade and then pinned to the floor whilst one of the stewards pinned his head to the concrete floor by putting the full weight of his knee on the fellas head. Outrageous.

When were stewards given such powers? Are they not committing assaults, they are acting like old bill?
Are stewards legally allow to detain someone outside of the ground, someone must know?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

All these people moaning about Burnley's long ball tactics, did you watch us play? We were no better.
Our tactics consisted of 7 men behind the ball and then if we did manage to get it, give it to Payet and hope he magicked somethig up or just hoof it long in the general direction of Carroll

At least Burnley have the excuse of having championship players.

Why are we playing three centre halves and two DM who don't move forward much at all at home to Burnley? Where is the box to box midfielder? Where are the midfield runners? Lanzini doesn't get in the box, Payet doesn't get in the box much. Antonio does when he can but he is usually twenty yards behind playing defensive wing back for some reason

We were absolutely woeful but can't expect much else with this formation and absurdly defensive tactics
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Large Samuel would have been proud of that performance

Gets coat............
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I actually really enjoyed last night. Mind you I was pissed before it started.

As far as I care we can win every game 1-0 like we did last night. I'd be a happy chap.
Barnet Steve
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Barnet Steve »

I went last night and thought we lacked movement and looked congested in the middle. Burnley were narrow and more width would have stretched them. They were clearly there for a point, too, and there were a couple of opportunities for a quick break that were nipped in the bud by hacking down our players. Ironic since the fan thing on the front page sees them whining about us going to ground easily.

I thought the ref was picky and kept pulling back play for no reason which stopped any momentum from building. Noble is ready to be dropped. The trouble with building up people as 'Mr West Ham' is that it implies they cannot be dropped. He has been off the pace for a while and I was pleased Slav had the balls to replace him. Hopefully, we'll start Saturday with him on the bench.

Still, three points.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

the pink palermo wrote:
In 90 minutes we produced precious little of real quality , but a wins a win .If we can get back to back wins we may see some confidence returning , but the players are struggling like hell to adjust to the new place .
No, No, No.

Yes, the team are struggling for confidence but to blame it on the stadium is a total 'cop out' imo. Fingers need to be pointed at some of our coaching staff( maybe not all on Bilic, but our fitness coach & Defensive coaches, Dicks?). We're in a relegation battle & at the end of the season, if we went down, If I hear people blame the stadium then *headbangs*. It's a feeble & weak excuse. Too many players are going through the motions. Seems no pride in the shirt at the moment which is worrying. Just mercenaries on a cash grap. Love this team but absolutely detest their attitude this season.

Arsenal moved to the Emirates in 06/07, New stadium & lost ONE match all of the season (0-1 West Ham, Zamora 8-) ). I see they were not affected by a bigger pitch or different stadium. I cannot wait till the end of this sorry season, hopefully stay up & have a full investigation of what the **** is going on behind the scenes. Take the example of Southampton at Home. That was our 4th match at Home, Saints had never played there before. How can we be at a disadvantage? We know the stadium better then them.

Let's say you are right TPP. Why have we also been as shocking away from home this season? Barring Liverpool game, 45 mins at Sp*rs & flashes up at West Bromwich & Everton? We are struggling. That's it. In my opinion the stadium is not causing the teams fitness or passing problems.

Hanging onto a victory against probably the worst away side in the Prem does not fill the most optimistic supporter with any Xmas cheer.

I agree, the three points were massive.
Last edited by Cardiff here we come..... on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

First league game of the season for me - one of my mates said at half time that that was possibly the best we'd played all season. If he's right then we are a poor side. We just about deserved it last night against an extremely limited team. I can see how the likes of Arsenal put five past us on our 'home' turf the other week.
joeyboy

Post by joeyboy »

We're a team bereft of confidence, playing in a game we simply had to win. Is it any surprise that we weren't fluent, open and cavalier? It's going to take time to get back to anywhere like last year.

On a separate note, the atmosphere situation interests me. The Chelsea game was bouncing. It certainly wasn't a soulless bowl that evening. Were people at the Sunderland or Watford games last year? There is some serious revisionism going on with our fan base at the moment. I'm not that keen on the new place but we have to make the most of it. UP wasn't a consistent cauldron of bubbling intensity either.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:First league game of the season for me - one of my mates said at half time that that was possibly the best we'd played all season. If he's right then we are a poor side. We just about deserved it last night against an extremely limited team. I can see how the likes of Arsenal put five past us on our 'home' turf the other week.
To be honest I thought we started last night at least as well as the Chelsea game. We completely controlled the game last night and could've easily ended up 2 or 3 up before the half time whilstle. The two attempts that hit the post, Antonio a few inches away at the back post, not including the penalty.

Normally I tend to find myself agreeing with the masses about how well or poorly we played but I'm really quite surprised everything I'm reading is so critical. We're a struggling team, with 9-10 players out, playing a team that clearly didn't want to lose. What was expected?

:scarfer:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

People upset about the performance need to zoom out at the longer time horizon.

The only way a team gets back to consistently playing freely and with confidence is when the wins begin to pile up and, more critically, the sword of Damocles - in terms of a points buffer to the relegation zone - starts to fade as an issue.

The razor-edged margin for error right now is a handbrake which understandably is causing some drag on our play, particularly in the final quarter of tight games. We'll need a couple more of these *at-any-cost* victories before that handicap is lifted.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Post by Ozza »

Aceface wrote:People upset about the performance need to zoom out at the longer time horizon.

The only way a team gets back to consistently playing freely and with confidence is when the wins begin to pile up and, more critically, the sword of Damocles - in terms of a points buffer to the relegation zone - starts to fade as an issue.

The razor-edged margin for error right now is a handbrake which understandably is causing some drag on our play, particularly in the final quarter of tight games. We'll need a couple more of these *at-any-cost* victories before that handicap is lifted.
Bang on, just said something similar on the Noble thread
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

That was one of the worst games i have seen in a long while but i don't think it was necessarily down to quality, the game just didn't flow. Players went down a lot with head injuries, the ref continually had to stop the game and there were just so many niggly tactical fouls.

We won, i guess that's all that matters in the end.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Must have been record numbers of stewards in and around the OS and OP last night, 5 rows of them separating the 100 Burnley fans in the upper tier

Still with New Club Record Attendance of 56,990 (BBC) they were needed

Left early steward joked in couldn't open the gate to about 5 of us, no one laughed

There are some right out of order stewards in that place, hundreds guarding the route out in case anyone took a short cut round the diversion !
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I love Bilic, but sometimes I do wonder what he says at half time. Too often we hold a lead when we come in and then come out for the second half and concede, sit far too deep, or at least look nervous.

Same again last night - all over them for the first 45 minutes, scored on the stroke of half time to give us some momentum going in to the break, and we come out in the second half and look a completely different team.

Still, glad that's out of the way. On to Hull.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:All these people moaning about Burnley's long ball tactics, did you watch us play? We were no better.
Our tactics consisted of 7 men behind the ball and then if we did manage to get it, give it to Payet and hope he magicked somethig up or just hoof it long in the general direction of Carroll

At least Burnley have the excuse of having championship players.

Why are we playing three centre halves and two DM who don't move forward much at all at home to Burnley? Where is the box to box midfielder? Where are the midfield runners? Lanzini doesn't get in the box, Payet doesn't get in the box much. Antonio does when he can but he is usually twenty yards behind playing defensive wing back for some reason

We were absolutely woeful but can't expect much else with this formation and absurdly defensive tactics

Exactly how I saw it too. I'm figuring it was just a case of nervousness and a fear of conceding a goal. I think (hope) things will get better once we've got a few more points and created a cushion between us and the relegation zone. It's true though that we don't get players forward quick enough to support the attack. Maybe they don't have faith that we'll keep hold the ball long enough to make it worthwhile! We're a bit rubbish at playing the ball out of a defensive position. The only time it happens is when players such as Lanzini and Payet drop deep to receive the ball - which then results in having nowhere to go apart from backwards or a lump to the isolated striker. Nobody is ever close enough to Carroll to take advantage of his flick-ons or lay-offs. I've offered my solution to this before.... we had no need for 3 central defenders and 2 defensive midfielders yesterday. Lanzini could have played deep with Obiang. I still don't see him as a number 10 type... he hardly ever gets into the box. He is good at picking the ball up from deep and either keeping possession whilst being pressured, or surging forward with the ball quickly. This then free's up a place for Ayew who's able to offer Carroll more support.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

YorksHammer wrote:I love Bilic, but sometimes I do wonder what he says at half time. Too often we hold a lead when we come in and then come out for the second half and concede, sit far too deep, or at least look nervous.

Same again last night - all over them for the first 45 minutes, scored on the stroke of half time to give us some momentum going in to the break, and we come out in the second half and look a completely different team.
Pretty much a complete reverse on last season. We'd spend the first half of games getting battered before coming out in the second half to get a result.

You could probably pick on one hand the amount of decent 90 minute performances we've had over the last 2 years.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:
No, No, No....

Let's say you are right TPP. Why have we also been as shocking away from home this season? Barring Liverpool game, 45 mins at Sp*rs & flashes up at West Bromwich & Everton?
We were good for 85 mins v Spurs, at Palace, Man U in the league, Liverpool and should've won at Everton if we'd had a fit striker of some sort.

In comparison at 'home' I've seen us play with that sort of intensity the once.

There's that word again - intense. Our stadium simply isn't.
hatori

Post by hatori »

To be fair, the atmosphere at Upton Park (bar final season) was always shocking against the **** teams.

As it is at most grounds, only the bigger games have good atmospheres these days