West Ham Utd 1-0 Burnley (14/12/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Stepney

Re: West Ham United v Burnley: Match Thread

Post by Stepney »

If a point at Anfield doesn't give us the confidence to win this game then I'm not sure what will? It won't be easy but I reckon we'll scrape a 2-1 win.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

simon hammer wrote:I would keep the same team that got us a point against Liverpool, unless kouyate is back.
For Nord?
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

These types of games really worry me, so easy for the opposition to plan for due to our home crowd. Off the back of a good point at Anfield, the expectation will be to comfortably secure the three points.

They will set up very defensively to begin with, try to contain us and keep it 0-0 for as long as it takes the crowd to start getting anxious and on the players backs. As soon as that happens, that anxiety comes out on the pitch with us and gives them a belief they can go on and win it and they grow in confidence and have a go.

We need to get behind and stick behind the team, we do that, we will grind them down and get the result. We have to play our part in this too guys and girls.

COYI :crest:
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Bitter 'n' Twisted wrote: No, I said never mind that his distribution is better. I'm not judging a choice of keeper on his kicking. His save to keep the score at 2-2 today was top drawer. As for Randolph's competition for places? Well it's a little bit more than it is at West Ham at the moment. And your argument for Adrian not being Spain's keeper is that there are better Spanish keepers… Sorry mate, you've done me there.
We'll agree to disagree then... I still think Adrian is our best keeper... Randolph did indeed make a good save yesterday, but I also expect Adrian would have also kept it out.

I also see a lot people naming clubs where Randolph would be first choice, all seem relegation threatened teams... I know we're one this season, but we've got to be looking higher than that.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

This has the potential to be a very tricky game.

However, we are due a proper performance, Burnley are a good organised team, and I don't expect them to make it easy for us.

I'm usually a pessimist when predicting a West Ham result, but I have a feeling we are going to click together nicely for this one.

:scarfer:
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

This game will identify who we are this season. Win comfortably we are mid table, win messy we are 12-15, draw or lose we are 16-20.

They say the table doesn't lie but it does, we have played Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Everton, Tottenham and Liverpool all away from home. In any season you wouldn't expect to get any points from those games. That's 5 of the current top 6.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I see the 3 goal lads are back. Well done with the enthusiasm chaps!

Now ask yourselves....why 3?
When do we do 3?
Wheredefeck will 3 come form?
And the NK Doms don't count!

This match will, as usual, be a hard fought slog. I do believe we can win it.

We will score and we will concede - but if we don't turn up for this match!!!!!!
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

Id be right up for this if i were Burnley, all the pundits where saying that we are resting players so we can beat them.

I just hope we dont give them that fire that we gave Watford!

Antonio needs to start up top with Carroll or there or thereabouts. They are going to give this everything. They need the win as much as we do.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I feel depressed at the inevitability of this game's outcome.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

When did this game get moved from tomorrow to Wednesday?

I'm heavily involved with The British Legion Poppy Appeal this time of the year. I'd put tomorrow night aside for West Ham v Burnley when the fixtures came out but found out last night it is now Wednesday.

F***ing fixture changes.
djoe

Post by djoe »

Just hope everyone will be behind the team and Slav for 90 minutes.
This game could prove to be a changer for the season.
Just get 3 points in any way possible I dont care how.

Hope to see the smile on Payet's face again this game, make us proud Dimi
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Hockley Hammer wrote:When did this game get moved from tomorrow to Wednesday?

I'm heavily involved with The British Legion Poppy Appeal this time of the year. I'd put tomorrow night aside for West Ham v Burnley when the fixtures came out but found out last night it is now Wednesday.

F***ing fixture changes.
same question i asked myself yesterday. When did it get changed??
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Bilic seems impervious to evidence regarding Antonio. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. Scores one and has another great chance saved playing up front, and then pushes him back to a more defensive role at half time.

How many times does Antonio have to score when playing as a forward - which he has done at about the same rate as a top 6 striker over the last 18 months - before he expects to spend an entire game there?

No other team that's struggling with strikers, while simultaneously shipping loads of goals, would routinely play their top scorer as a defensively-suspect part of their backline and exacerbate both issues. Booooo.
Last edited by Aceface on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

RayleighHammer23 wrote:This game will identify who we are this season.
It feels that way. A huge game for us - but also for Burnley. If we're targeting them then they will target a fragile, unmotivated side, which isn't what we were yesterday but is what we've been for the majority of this season. Burnley will be up for it - they're unspectacular but well organised and work as a unit. We'll need to too. As you say, Wednesday will tell us much.

I'm going to this one - first league game of the season in December!!! - if you'd have told me five years ago that would be the case I would have laughed it off as ridiculous.
Col Hammer
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Col Hammer »

Hockley Hammer wrote:When did this game get moved from tomorrow to Wednesday?

It was when they scheduled the game yesterday for Sky, put it back then so not a Sun-Tues turnaround I think
JohnSyros

Post by JohnSyros »

--------------------Randolph-------------------
Nordveit---Reid--Ogbonna---Cresswell
-------------------------------Obiang------------
-----------------Lanzini--------------------------
----------------------------Payet-----------------
------Feghouli----------------------Antonio--
-----------------------Carroll---------------------

:crest:
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Aceface wrote:Bilic seems impervious to evidence regarding Antonio. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. Scores one and has another great chance saved playing up front, and then pushes him back to a more defensive role at half time.

How many times does Antonio have to score when playing as a forward - which he has done at about the same rate as a top 6 striker over the last 18 months - before he expects to spend an entire game there?

No other team that's struggling with strikers, while simultaneously shipping loads of goals, would routinely play their top scorer as a defensively-suspect part of their backline and exacerbate both issues. Booooo.
Absolutely right... Antonio is superb offensively and less than superb defensively.

Play him up front and you maximise the good bits and minimise the bad bits.

I think he was moved so as to give Carroll more game time, as always there other considerations and it's a matter of balancing them all as best as possible.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I would rest Lanzini. Either him or Payet are going to need a break soon as they are both looking a bit tired to me. Almost impossible to leave Payet out the side though at the moment.
tnichols245

Post by tnichols245 »

sgb1972 wrote:Nordtveit is shocking, ridiculous he even gets a game.

Did you see Reid rightly slaughter him in the second half? He followed Firminio I think it was to the halfway line when our defensive line was about 25-30 yards from goal, leaving a massive gap in the right back channel which they put a ball into. That's just basics, regardless of him not being a right back.

Yet to see anything to warrant him being signed in the first place. That's overlooking the obvious for our board, he was free.
I agree don't get why anyone would start him think his looked terrible.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Row X wrote:
Yes mate, and he is better than Randolph.

We dropped him for a kick up the arse, I think he's got the message.
We dropped him because he kept making mistakes, ergo the same bloody mistakes.
I couldn't chose between the two of them right now but Randolph yesterday sums up our season.
A blunder for the equaliser, but one of the best saves you will ever see later in the game.
Not many keepers would have been able to do that, and I include Adrian.
Like I say, there is no obvious choice, both look like they have at least one rush of blood to the head in them per game.